Possible Reasons For the Lack of New Music

In the past, certainly. But there's no reason why they have to keep on doing the same thing indefinitely. They usually used to shut themselves away in a hotel or somewhere and just get their heads down and write, as you say, with a deadline (except for Somewhere In Time which they all wrote separately during their break after the World Slavery Tour). But now, we are told, they are writing "bits and bobs" at an apparently much more leisurely pace. Also Dave (I think) has said that they don't have any plans for next year, although we've been told in the past that they plan everything years in advance. So it seems that things are being done differently this time, whatever the reason for that might be.

As for the writing process, I don't think there is anything really new in Bruce's statement about them writing bits and pieces. As far as I know, they've almost always done this, which doesn't mean they have actual songs. When they decide to write an album and actually define a deadline, they assemble those bits, write the lyrics and so on.

As for the writing process, I don't think there is anything really new in Bruce's statement about them writing bits and pieces. As far as I know, they've almost always done this, which doesn't mean they have actual songs. When they decide to write an album and actually define a deadline, they assemble those bits, write the lyrics and so on.
Quite, quite possibly. That certainly would make sense, but is not contradictory to what I originally said (which is what Foro was taking issue with).

It has been well reported that Steve said (ages ago) that he thought they would last 30 years and do 15 albums, and now they have achieved that milestone but decided they don't want to retire yet it's entirely possible that they are just playing it by ear, doing what they feel like as and when. It's not like they have anything to prove any more. Actually this could be part of what's behind the history tours - they are taking a walk through their past while they decide what they want to do next.

Basically, I'd put it down to the band maybe nearing retirement. Since 2003, we've only had 3 albums in a decade, opposed to 8 in 8 years during the 80s. And, because of their revenue, they really don't need any new material

I don't see the point in looking for reasons. They will come up with new music eventually, we know this. It will happen when humanity is ready for it.
Shoulda been the end of this thread.

Shoulda been the end of this thread.
You can't be serious. Censoring a thread you don't like/don't care for/find pointless is not a good idea.
If it is not serious, then I say: fine! Let's stop reading here already. :ok:
- - - - - - -
If it is, then I'm not done yet:
All that the topic opener did was posing a question. We have dedicated, searching fans out here and some of them are passionate on the doings of our beloved band. Some of these fans like to respond to that question. Albums are among the biggest inspirations in discussions, and even -or perhaps therefore- the lack of (known) action on this department can result in impatience, worries, speculating and: *long drum fill on all of Nicko's toms: tadaaaaaaa* discussions. :help:

Some of the input can be critical towards the band. Some of the (sometimes the same) input, or even the whole topic itself (as in this case) can be seen as pointless by people. But that's subjective (as subjective as a certain medal that I sense behind the corner ;-). And that's why critical and/or "pointless" behaviour can always clash with members who find certain discussions "pointless".

Still: We do have a certain freedom of discussion out here. I would like to keep that.
You could say the "end of the thread" comment is part of that same freedom, but it reeks of censoring lines of thought that are other than your own.

Thank you for your attention.

(Just in case: Ariana, the censorship comment is entirely not directed at you. Naturally everybody can utter that something is pointless, but to solely call for an end of the discussion because one doesn't like it, is something that must be opposed IMO)

Last edited:
I'd like to add a point to this already convincing argumentation : in the course of such discussions (which I like), often emerge new information, bits of statements of some band member, of their manager and so on, things I haven't heard of at first and that I like to know.
This is one of may daily pleasures to go to my computer after work, after helping my sons to do their homework and after doing all the shity things one needs to do in life (sons' homework is not intended here !), just to pick up a title thread in a Maidenfans forum, to read what you guys did write on my favorite band, and, sometimes, to write something myself. Dicussing the complexity of The Fugitive is fun ; comparing Davey's and H technical skills is great ; and trying to unveil the reasons behind the absence of new music is much more fun than just waiting for it.

Naturally not a surprise, I agree very much. Especially with this:
trying to unveil the reasons behind the absence of new music is much more fun than just waiting for it.
At the same time we know damn well that this is absolutely not the case for everybody. Trying to find balance in relation to these "types" of time spenders is quite a challenge.

Last edited:
Actually this could be part of what's behind the history tours - they are taking a walk through their past while they decide what they want to do next.

Well, the first "history" tour was Early Days in 2005. Spending 8 years on deciding what to do next? I think 'Arry is able to make up his mind faster than that, not to mention Bruce ... :)

Back