Poe

Calling all pop “crap” is exactly why I fucking hate the traditional elitist metalhead.

Hey, you know what? I'm one of the traditional elitist metalheads you hate. I've been shunned by people before for that, and guess what - I never cared. The reason being that I reserve the right to be particular and narrow-minded about my musical taste. Everyone who knows me personally will confirm to you that virtually everything in my life is about being open-minded and embracing new experiences, and it's always been, to the point that there's hardly ever been any consistency in my life. But I too need my safe space. That's why my musical taste is quite one-dimensional, and I frankly don't care whether I'm missing out on something enormous or spectacular or not. I get that all the time, I want something dull and regressive in my life for a change.

Except LC's opinion guys!
I'm not asking anyone to accept my opinion as fact; I'm asking them to recognize that my opinion is equally as valid as theirs, and that nobody deserves to be called names (traditional elitist metalhead) because they have a different opinion.

I'm not asking anyone to accept my opinion as fact; I'm asking them to recognize that my opinion is equally as valid as theirs, and that nobody deserves to be called names (traditional elitist metalhead) because they have a different opinion.
I was joking. I 100% agree with you.

I’ve almost always been derided for my opinions everywhere I go. It’s “wow he’s so fucking stupid disliking Di’Anno and liking Blaze” or “lmao who considers The Chemical Wedding to be a good album” or “only idiots listen to ABBA” or “you watch Thomas the trAiN grow up” that it really disappoints me that this forum falls into the same boat as all the others.

OK, sorry mate. Just on this one, I want to make myself clear!
No worries!
I’ve almost always been derided for my opinions everywhere I go. It’s “wow he’s so fucking stupid disliking Di’Anno and liking Blaze” or “lmao who considers The Chemical Wedding to be a good album” or “only idiots listen to ABBA” or “you watch Thomas the trAiN grow up” that it really disappoints me that this forum falls into the same boat as all the others.
I respect all your opinions, apart from Lulu. That wouldn't even fall into the music category for me.

“you watch Thomas the trAiN grow up”

I love it that you misrepresent what I was going on about. I asked you a question because you weren't the first teenager I saw who liked Thomas, and I wanted to know why that is. I never told you to grow up or derided you for your opinion.

@Diesel 11, I mean this in the nicest of all possible ways, but nobody here has said you're fucking stupid for liking Blaze, or an idiot for listening to ABBA, or even said you need to grow up. There's been incredulousness expressed at each of those opinions, for sure, but that's part of life. Nobody has actually told you to stop having those opinions.

Maybe TTTE got a pretty negative reaction, but I was personally ambivalent.

My problem isn't that you have opinions. My problem is that you post your contrary opinion and expect it to be treated like some kind of fucking revelation, like you've come down with stone tablets from the mountaintop. I can't name the amount of times a thread has been attacked for daring to suggest that The Apparition is the worst Maiden song. I don't want to see anyone mention it anymore, because it invariably draws a plethora of comments that go, "Actually no. It's a great song. 10/10. Fact."

—hits a raw nerve.
Muffin.

I love it that you misrepresent what I was going on about. I asked you a question because you weren't the first teenager I saw who liked Thomas, and I wanted to know why that is. I never told you to grow up or derided you for your opinion.
I wasn’t talking about you specifically, I got your viewpoint. I’ve gotten flack for this elsewhere.

My problem isn't that you have opinions. My problem is that you post your contrary opinion and expect it to be treated like some kind of fucking revelation, like you've come down with stone tablets from the mountaintop. I can't name the amount of times a thread has been attacked for daring to suggest that The Apparition is the worst Maiden song. I don't want to see anyone mention it anymore, because it invariably draws a plethora of comments that go, "Actually no. It's a great song. 10/10. Fact."
Most of my responses to those calling The Apparition bad have been an attempt at humor. Not all, maybe, but a lot of them. Same with Blaze and what have you. I guess it doesn’t shine clear through text. Or maybe it’s a dead joke.

Most of my responses to those calling The Apparition bad have been an attempt at humor. Not all, maybe, but a lot of them. Same with Blaze and what have you. I guess it doesn’t shine clear through text. Or maybe it’s a dead joke.
To me, they were never funny and they seemed deadly serious, like we had to alter our opinions to accept yours. There are ways to write to make it seem funny, and you don't do those things.

Liking Blaze has never been an opinion here without supporters.

I have to say that I firmly support LC's and Perun's stance and would personally be glad to carry the torch of the elitist metalheads, but kudos to Diesel for being the only one in the pop squad that still maintains a relatively calm tone and explains his position.

Let me make myself perfectly clear: I think pretty much every piece of pop music is inferior to pretty much every piece of rock & roll. That being said, I listened to the offered music. I thought it was mediocre for pop with a decent singer, and I shared that opinion too.

This opinion shouldn't be abnormal or unexpected on a site called Maidenfans. Want to call me a metal elitist? I'll wear that title, and I'll wear it happily. Metal is my favourite genre of music. I love metal more than I love most things, and I'm willing to bet that my obsession with heavy metal goes deeper than most people's relationship with their favourite music. Not saying the latter is true of everyone here who likes pop, but of the general public, I think that it is a fair statement.

So, bringing all this back around - I entered a thread and listened to the music and then shared my opinion. I did so in such a way to state it as fact, and I did so intentionally because multiple people on this forum have engaged in similar behaviour, then gotten upset and cried "It's only my OPINION" when people have pointed out that they were acting like their opinion was objective reality.

It's only my opinion, and if my opinion offends you, then that says more about someone's insecurity and inability to handle contrary thoughts than it does about my firmly held belief.
tenor.gif

You really shouldn't be surprised when people express shock than an 18 year old watches TV shows created for little children, and this forum is strongly pro-Blaze (quite anomalous amongst groups of Iron Maiden fans) and used to have a sister site called Blazefans I believe.

Nobody should be surprised than members of a Metal forum have a low opinion of Pop music and labelling them as "traditional Metal elitists" isn't going to help you have your case seen in a positive light by these traditional Metal elitists. There is good Pop music that I can enjoy listening to if I hear it, but I am a traditional Metal elitist so I don't go out of my way to listen to Pop. There is also a lot of very bad Pop - most of it in fact. A Metal forum is an odd place to have in depth discussions about Pop music, especially some fairly obscure artists by the standards of traditional Metal elitists. There are many more appropriate places for that. Bear in mind that you've got one thread which only two people are posting in so perhaps would have been best confined to the Pop Thread. There are other forum members who listen to Pop from time to time. I remember @The Flash went through a big Britney Spears phase a few years ago and we laughed about it but he didn't lash out at us for being traditional Metal elitists. Just try to remember where you're posting before getting upset about the response.

“only idiots listen to ABBA”

Of all the things going on in this thread this bothers me the most. Who the fuck says this? Everyone likes a bit of ABBA.

Anyway, on topic, I just listened to "Hello". Had no idea what to expect but I quite enjoyed it. I'm listening again.

I'm actually loving "Hello". Awesome song, easily my favourite of those three songs from the Hello album. Quite enjoyed "Angry Johnny" too, but "Trigger Happy Jack" didn't really click on the first listen.

Also, I get a bit of a Cardigans feel from these songs.

Of all the things going on in this thread this bothers me the most. Who the fuck says this? Everyone likes a bit of ABBA.
Some “typical metal elitists” not present on this forum. Glad you’re liking Poe. :ok:

Back