Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they play the entire album live, I could see them leaving space for interpretation and variation, and also some improvisation in solos, drumming and melodies. Rick Beato said the great bands of the 70s were interesting and on the edge, because they dared to improvise. I mean, in the case of Maiden, some people I know have been comparing Nicko’s playing to Billy Cobham for years, and yesterday I noticed the juicyness of some of his 6/8 fills and thought: yeah, more of that in the main cymbals etc! Also, the vocals, “varietas”.
I've wanted to do a review and post it here for a while already, but the album is so good that I just think: "nah, I will do it later... let me listen to The Parchment again in this little free time that I have".

Anyway, I think the album is better than TBOS already, which was in my top 5 of maiden albums.

I really hope they play the full album live. I really do.

Last edited:
A possible set list for the Senjutsu tour:

1. Senjutsu
2. Stratego
3. The Writing on the Wall
4. Remember Tomorrow
5. The Trooper
6. Lost in a Lost World
7. Days of future past
8. Alexander the Great
9. Can I Play with Madness
10. Hell on Earth
11. Number of the Beast
12. Fear of the Dark
13. Iron Maiden

14. Hallowed
15. Blood Brothers
16. Wasted Years

Senjutsu - 7.5/10
Stratego - 8/10
The Writing On The Wall - 10/10
Lost In A Lost World - 7/10
Days of Future Past - 8.5/10
The Time Machine - 8.5/10
Darkest Hour - 8/10
Death Of The Celts - 8/10
The Parchment - 7.5/10
Hell On Earth - 9/10

Well I've been listening to the album for a whole week now and after many listening sessions this is my opinion:

Senjutsu : 6.5 - It's just ok, it's really slow, chorus has a really nice and epic melody but that's it.

Stratego : 10 - Great song, fast, melodic, one of the best(if not the best) single they've released in a looong time.

TWOTW : 8 - Totally different from a maiden vibe and it's not that complex song but sounds really strong and has a catchy chorus.

LIALW : 9 - Only bad thing about the song is effect over the vocals. It's really sticking out and I don't like it at all, besides that it's a really great song. Sing of the cross moments ftw!

DOFP : 10 - Should've been released as a single along with stratego. Great riffs, great chorus and that last chorus with drum fills is just great.

The Time Machine : 10 - Nice talisman intro, nice DoD/Sign of the cross moments, strange song in overall(same as twotw) but it got me hooked on the first listen.

Darkest Hour : 8 - Nice ballad, similar to wasting love. It's really decent and it flows really well with the album.

DOTC : 8 - I didn't really like it at first but it has some really nice melodies and hooks. Bad thing is that during the first half of the song there is a really nice buildup but instead of exploding it goes into boring solos after the first half of the song.

The Parchment : 7.5 - Similar situation as with DOTC, it took me some time to get used to it but main problem is that song is slow(for the most part) and not dynamic at all, very repetitive.

Hell on Earth : 10 - Just beautiful melodies, great lyrics, great song for closing the album. If this is to be the last maiden song I'm good with that.

After 6 six listens or more of each song:

Senjutsu - 10
Stratego - 9
The Writing On The Wall - 9
Lost In A Lost World - 8
Days of Future Past - 8
The Time Machine - 5
The Darkest Hour - 8
Death Of The Celts - 10
The Parchment - 7
Hell On Earth - 9

The Parchment : 7.5 - Similar situation as with DOTC, it took me some time to get used to it but main problem is that song is slow(for the most part) and not dynamic at all, very repetitive.
They like to repeat stuff, Steve does. The repetition gives it a ritual feel, which I think works well for them. But I agree in that IMO for the material to be repeated so many times, I wish it was a bit more intricate, or multilayered, or with more of a twist (as someone here said). They do it more in the quiet parts, for example HOE, and I sometimes wish they’d do it a bit more in the loud parts.
Perhaps I don’t get it yet though, it has to be exactly like it is, and I’m too analytical.

I love how in the part around 3:30, the left guitar (Dave?) plays the rhythm, but then weaves around the main melody, makes it sound much more intricate than it really is

I wish that part would repeat more :)

I love how in the part around 3:30, the left guitar (Dave?) plays the rhythm, but then weaves around the main melody, makes it sound much more intricate than it really is

I wish that part would repeat more :)
Yeh, that guitar is awesome. For me, when the riffs exactly after this short, cool part start.... these riffs repeat too many times for what they are.

Guys, I respect you all very much, but The Parchment is perfection. Dave's solo is among his best... ever. The melodies, the riffage, the vocals. Bruce described it as a procession. That's exactly what it feels like. I think more people will come to appreciate it after they've listened to it a few more times. Especially in the evening, with earphones.

Guys I would be really surprised to hear that they play the full album on tour since they’re only playing 90minutes and this Album is 82 without Bruce speaking between songs! So that would only leave room for Iron Maiden has an encore? That doesn’t make sense
Has much as I would like to hear lots of new songs and rare germs on tour(seen them 17times lol) we have to add the time factor in the equation so they wont play the 4 Harris epics ‍And Alexander the Great!
If they play 2 or 3 new epics songs then the rest of the set will mainly be short songs with Fear-Iron-Hallowed-Number at least

Guys, I respect you all very much, but The Parchment is perfection. Dave's solo is among his best... ever. The melodies, the riffage, the vocals. Bruce described it as a procession. That's exactly what it feels like. I think more people will come to appreciate it after they've listened to it a few more times. Especially in the evening, with earphones.
How many times would you recommend? Because I've given it a double digit number of times and still struggle to recall a single melody from the first 6 minutes of the song.

It just doesn't grab my attention as a listener. The rest of the songs on the album have me singing along, headbanging, climbing like a monkey, whereas this one... I honestly zone out a bit.

The Parchment is a trancelike song, almost meditative, where repetition and slow development makes total sense. It's definitely a case of atmosphere over anything else and I love it. Too bad it transitions into that slightly uninspired bombastic ending, but the rest of the track is so good that I easily forgive that.
Nailed it. My thoughts exactly.

Senjutsu - 7.5/10
Stratego - 6.5/10
The Writing on The Wall - 8/10
Lost In A Lost World - 4/10
Days of Future Past - 8/10
The Time Machine - 6.5/10
Darkest Hour - 5.5/10
Death Of The Celts - 5/10
The Parchment - 6/10
Hell On Earth - 9/10

Senjutsu - 8
Stratego -7
The Writing on The Wall - 8
Lost In A Lost World - 8
Days of Future Past - 7
The Time Machine - 9
Darkest Hour - 2
Death Of The Celts - 6.5
The Parchment - 10
Hell On Earth - 10

I think the honeymoon period is over for me. Sejutsu, Writing, Lost In A Lost World, Time Machine, Parchment and Hell On Earth is all I need off this album.

Realistic/cynical setlist:

1. Senjutsu
2. Stratego
3. Die With Your Boots On
4. Can I Play With Madness?
5. The Writing On The Wall
6. The Time Machine
7. Brave New World
8. The Trooper
9. Days Of Future Past
10. Heaven Can Wait
11. Hell On Earth
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden
----------------------
14. The Number Of The Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Sanctuary

How many times would you recommend? Because I've given it a double digit number of times and still struggle to recall a single melody from the first 6 minutes of the song.

It just doesn't grab my attention as a listener. The rest of the songs on the album have me singing along, headbanging, climbing like a monkey, whereas this one... I honestly zone out a bit.
What you are experiencing with the Parchment is my experience with Death of the Celts. Sometimes a particular song just doesn't click and there is not much that can be done about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back