Please post reviews and thoughts on Senjutsu here

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's (HOE) just pure Steve Harris Maiden. It has everything. It's an encapsulation of everything that's good about Maiden in one song.
One on my favourite post-2000 Maiden songs is WTWWB so that's probably why I like it.
I dont care for wild wind at all but HoE rocks

Reactions: jcv
I really feel like this is their best album since SSOASS, although I'm a huge fan of FOTD. The Parchment may well be in their top 10 ever, although I'm incapable of picking only ten Maiden songs. Bruce's performance is amazing. Nicko's too. Many of the solos here are the best from 21st Century Maiden. A couple from H and Davey might be equal to their performances on SIT or SSOASS. Steve is awesome as always, and he wrote his best songs in ages. Some people complain about the intros, which I can understand to some extent. However, on this album, they actually work fantastic. I wouldn't want any removed or shortened. I even would like the intro to LIALW to be extended. Production- and mixing-wise, well, I won't comment too much, but I'll say that the riff on the verse on Stratego is sublime, and you can barely hear it. Some people might not realise that Davey (I think, and maybe Adrian too? not sure) is(are) actually playing a riff there. You can barely hear the extra guitars during the quiet part of HoE, in the middle, which is a shame since they play really cool stuff. Anyway, I'm in love with this album and feel happy and grateful for it.

My ratings thus far, after about 12 listening sessions:

1. Senjutsu 10/10
2. Stratego 9/10
3. The Writing On The Wall 10/10
4. Lost In A Lost World 9/10 (it has issues and I didn't like it upon first hearing it, but it's one of those songs that really grow on you)
5. Days Of Future Past 7/10
6. The Time Machine 9/10
7. Darkest Hour 9,5/10
8. Death Of The Celts 8/10
9. The Parchment 10/10
10. Hell On Earth 10/10

Last edited:
The lyrics of Senjutsu and Hell on Earth speaks to each other. I know it is pointed out before. But What is your interpretation? Do you think 2 songs complete each other?

Senjutsu
Survive on ledges bitten in dust
Knowledge and virtue is stricken by lust
Really believe that they're coming for us
Dancing on graves of those who bled for us
Driven away by our endless desire
Defeat by anger and our greatest fire
Attack again and try as they might
Hold them again and see them running

Hell on Earth
You dance on the graves who bled for us
Do you really think they'll come for us
Knowledge and virtue taken by lust
Live on the edge of those that you trust
You think that you have all the answers for all
In your arrogant way only one way to fall
Burning a lamp that is fire in your hands
Taking you further from these lands

I mean this is quite unusual for Steve. I don't remember anything like that other than obvious SSOASS album.
When I try to connect these 2 songs I get something like this: In the first song people are afraid of external enemy and believe "they" will come and destroy. But In Hell on Earth We are the ones who dance on grave those who bled for us. We are the ones that make this world Hell. Do you think this is some kind of intertexuality or is it just random words? English is not my first language and maybe I am getting it totally wrong.

The lyrics of Senjutsu and Hell on Earth speaks to each other. I know it is pointed out before. But What is your interpretation? Do you think 2 songs complete each other?

Senjutsu

Hell on Earth

I mean this is quite unusual for Steve. I don't remember anything like that other than obvious SSOASS album.
When I try to connect these 2 songs I get something like this: In the first song people are afraid of external enemy and believe "they" will come and destroy. But In Hell on Earth We are the ones who dance on grave those who bled for us. We are the ones that make this world Hell. Do you think this is some kind of intertexuality or is it just random words? English is not my first language and maybe I am getting it totally wrong.
I don't know the meaning of it yet at all. I need to think about it, but one thing is for sure: this is the kind of stuff that makes me love Maiden.

Loving the album!
The Parchment reminds me of something from The Tea Party (The Edges of Twilight) but I cant quite place it- every time I hear the Parchment that dang album comes into my head.

Still no change in my mind. A very solid Maiden record. I could do without Celts and Darkest Hour but that's it. Everything else is a winner with me.

Where is stands compared to the rest will take some time. But I like it better than DOD, BNW and BOS for now.

Senjutsu

Hell on Earth

This is an impressive summary of the meaning of the text. You have a profound and analytical mind. Even with English not being your first language, in my opinion, you nailed it.

For me:

Hell On Earth > Days Of Future Past > The Writing On The Wall > Senjutsu > Stratego > The Parchment > The Time Machine > Death of the Celts > Darkest Hour > Lost In A Lost World

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back