Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

• Total voters
Piece of Mind has greatest heights whereas I feel Somewhere in Time is more consistent but doesn't reach the heights of songs like Where Eagles Dare or The Trooper.
Overall I prefer Piece of Mind, it has more disparity but the filler songs are still good. It's not like they are Fear of the Dark or NPFTD where the fillers were absolutely expendable.
I think all SIT songs are an 8 on average whereas POM has some that are a 7 but some others reach 9 or even 10.

Two of my top-three albums, Somewhere in Time's definitely my #1 though as I don't think there's a 'meh' song on it. Piece of Mind I can't stand Quest for Fire and I'm 'meh' on Sun and Steel.

POM hands down. Never could get into SIT. I have fond memories of POM, I remember when it first came out!

Somewhere in Time..... Most consistent album they've done.... prior albums have tracks that are really meh.... except Powerslave. That's likely their best metal album before the progressive era...

Somewhere in Time..... Most consistent album they've done.... prior albums have tracks that are really meh.... except Powerslave. That's likely their best metal album before the progressive era...

I agree that Somewhere in Time is more consistent than Piece of Mind. But in this case I value more the amazing songs that are Where Eagles Dare, Revelations or The Trooper over the consistency issues.

Yes, SIT is more consistent, but for me those three songs I mentioned are better than anything in SIT. Of course it's just a personal opinion.

I agree that Somewhere in Time is more consistent than Piece of Mind. But in this case I value more the amazing songs that are Where Eagles Dare, Revelations or The Trooper over the consistency issues.

Yes, SIT is more consistent, but for me those three songs I mentioned are better than anything in SIT. Of course it's just a personal opinion.

I feel this way about POM over NOTB..... NOTB has stronger songs but POM is more consistent. I love Prisoner, HBTN and COTD more than WED and TTAL... I love Still Life the most though.... If we are talking consistency and pure awesome all around, that was Powerslave for me.... along with SIT of course...

No of course not, and I mean no offence to anyone who loves SIT.

But I'm a bit cynical about the amount of people who claim to love SIT over the last 20 years or so. It was a bit of a flop when it was released, and the band obviously don't rate it that much so there is obviously ample room for a hipster angle. There's not a lot of cred available to people who say the album with the Trooper on it is great.

Of course, I've no doubt that there are also tons of genuine fans who love it, as there are with any Maiden album.

Wasn't Somewhere in Time less popular and successful than previous 3 Maiden albums (Beast, POM and Powerslave)? I always thought that those 3 albums are generally regarded as the bigger classics than SIT.

I'd say the general reception to SIT in America was mixed when it came out (due to guitar synths).

Back