Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

Piece of Mind or Somewhere in Time?

• Total voters
Love both albums, but its SIT for me. That album takes me on a journey anytime I listen to it. The sound and production are absolutely stellar, and the futuristic guitar tone gives this album a very unique and special flavor.

Plus it features tons of H work and writing. Always a plus for me:applause:

PoM has higher highs (Eagles, Revelations, Boots, Tame), but lower lows (QFF, Icarus), whereas SiT is much more consistent, with only one song a stinker (Heaven). Maiden are conistent throughout, however, so I'm more for their highs and PoM also has one of the weirdest Maiden tracks ever in Still Life.

I always liked the pseudo-futuristic production of SiT, but PoM has a wonderful, dry, rough, desert-like, heavy guitar tone. Nicko feels more prominent as well.

PoM feels very "lively" (Boots, Trooper, Sun/Steel), whereas SiT feels more "haunting" (SoM, Loneliness, Stranger).

The lyrics to the SiT epic mindlessly list things, the lyrics to the PoM epic mindlessly list things and annoy me with Dune, but in general I prefer Tame. The intro/outro was one of the first Maiden moments I fell in love with.

PoM, definitely.

Piece of Mind is a fair bit better than SIT realistically. But SIT picks up a few hipster votes because Maiden don't play much of it live.

It might feel a wee bit immature, but not hipster, not really.

That would probably be to think Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? is the best album of all time.

Sure, it was on HIMYM, but the true fans loved it before it got so sickeningly mainstream.

Piece of Mind any day. Somewhere in Time is an album from a burn-out band (not input from Dickinson!), saved by solo efforts, a great artwork and, to some extent, production. From a more optimistic point of view, it is the rough of Seventh Son of A Seventh Son. I love it though (because it is Maiden ;) ), but it is definitely not the level of Piece of Mind.

Is it hipster to think that SIT is the best album of all time?

No of course not, and I mean no offence to anyone who loves SIT.

But I'm a bit cynical about the amount of people who claim to love SIT over the last 20 years or so. It was a bit of a flop when it was released, and the band obviously don't rate it that much so there is obviously ample room for a hipster angle. There's not a lot of cred available to people who say the album with the Trooper on it is great.

Of course, I've no doubt that there are also tons of genuine fans who love it, as there are with any Maiden album.

No of course not, and I mean no offence to anyone who loves SIT.

But I'm a bit cynical about the amount of people who claim to love SIT over the last 20 years or so. It was a bit of a flop when it was released, and the band obviously don't rate it that much so there is obviously ample room for a hipster angle. There's not a lot of cred available to people who say the album with the Trooper on it is great.

Of course, I've no doubt that there are also tons of genuine fans who love it, as there are with any Maiden album.

Well, underrated at the time, overrated in retrospect... seems to be the usual deal, right?

What's this?

Why, the album I mentioned, Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? by The Unicorns, is a rather obscure indie-pop/rock record from the early 00s ... however if I recall correctly, in the How I Met Your Mother series the protagonist, Ted Mosby, once happened to mention it's his favourite album - correct me someone if I'm wrong - which might give it a boost in popularity, I guess? Don't know if it actually did, it was just a guess. Of course, an album endorsed by a mainstream TV series is hardly "hipster" per se, that's why I mentioned it.

Well, underrated at the time, overrated in retrospect... seems to be the usual deal, right?

Why, the album I mentioned, Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone? by The Unicorns, is a rather obscure indie-pop/rock record from the early 00s ... however if I recall correctly, in the How I Met Your Mother series the protagonist, Ted Mosby, once happened to mention it's his favourite album - correct me someone if I'm wrong - which might give it a boost in popularity, I guess? Don't know if it actually did, it was just a guess. Of course, an album endorsed by a mainstream TV series is hardly "hipster" per se, that's why I mentioned it.

I thought you meant Maiden were on HIMYM:lol:

What a sight that would be!

"Tonight, on a Very Special Episode, Iron Maiden is going to teach you what terrible things happen to you, if you don't give your songs a proper acoustic intro and make them ten minutes long..."

Back