Personal thoughts on The Early Days...

Tap_Legion

Trooper
Since I bought this for myself as a B-day gift , I think I've watched it 15 times...I really enjoy it....my question is why , especially after watching the 12 wasted years vid , is why didnt they incorporate more of the footage from the video into the DVD?
On 12WY , they show Maiden doing Sanctuary at the Hammersmith show , but didnt add it to the DVD footage. Same with the song Iron Maiden from Dortmund , which is in its entirety on the video , but only a snipit on the DVD. With the Rainbow show being available for all these years , it would of been nice if they added some bonus songs from the same show(s)...Murders from the Rainbow would of been nice , as having some older tunes on Beast.
Theres also tons of TV interviews and footage that was on the vid that didnt make it to disc...besides not having a current interview with Riggs , Dave Lights and Bill Barclay were noticably absent from the DVD....Maybe they'll be on the next one..who knows.

Just my 2 cents...

Good points. Why they didn't use more of 12WY puzzles me, it's a shame really. That Dortmund "Iron Maiden" video for example. Don't see why they couldn't transfer it from video even if it is bad quality...

Yeah there were a couple of absent things from the gigs, but I don't think they filmed any more of the Rainbow gig. They had to do pretty much what you see on the video after the main gig because the video didn't come out the first time. They did these few songs again as an encore and told the audience to headbang like mad to make the video good!

Derek Riggs refused to appear on the DVD for some reason, so you can hardly blame Maiden for that. I can't comment on the documentary very much though as I still have to watch a few bits of it.

I was disappointed too about not including Iron Maiden on the Dortmund footages; the onstage slaughtering of Eddie would certainly be a nice piece to have on the DVD. Nevertheless I think the track selection was good although I don't see why it was necessary to have so similar tracklists for the Hammersmith and Dortmund shows.

[!--QuoteBegin-Shadow+Jan 12 2005, 09:33 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Shadow @ Jan 12 2005, 09:33 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...the onstage slaughtering of Eddie would certainly be a nice piece to have on the DVD.
[snapback]95837[/snapback]​
[/quote]
It is on the DVD, somewhere on disc 2. I can't recall exactly where, but I know I saw it on there.

[!--QuoteBegin-SinisterMinisterX+Jan 12 2005, 03:57 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(SinisterMinisterX @ Jan 12 2005, 03:57 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It is on the DVD, somewhere on disc 2. I can't recall exactly where, but I know I saw it on there.
[snapback]95839[/snapback]​
[/quote]

I thought i read in the interview in the latest fc magazine that they searched for this piece of footage a lot but never found it. If you've seen it though it must be there, i havent seen it, if anyone knows, tell me please [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

It's in the documentary. The show on the DVD is taken directly from german TV's original tapes, while the clip in the documentary is lifted from the 12 wasted years video. Apparently, no complete footage of the eddie thrashing exists, since "ze germans" thought it too explicit to show on national TV and cut it out, litteraly [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

hehe, I knew someone would get it [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Jan 12 2005, 08:54 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Jan 12 2005, 08:54 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's in the documentary. The show on the DVD is taken directly from german TV's original tapes, while the clip in the documentary is lifted from the 12 wasted years video. Apparently, no complete footage of the eddie thrashing exists, since "ze germans" thought it too explicit to show on national TV and cut it out, litteraly [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]95883[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Actually , on the 12WY vid , it has the complete song from beginning to end of Iron Maiden and Eddies demise. They just didnt incorporate it in with the DVD.

[!--QuoteBegin-LooseCannon+Jan 12 2005, 09:18 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(LooseCannon @ Jan 12 2005, 09:18 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Protection, Tommy? From who?  Ze Germans?
[snapback]95891[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Its a classic movie [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back