Paul Mario Day on Strange World

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
From his Facebook, posted 8 hours ago.
- - - -

This is my opinion. When I sang in Iron Maiden it was a new pub band and nobody wanted to see or hear them. We were all nobody’s all trying to make the best music we could and fighting for an audience. In 1976 Photos/Recording were next to impossible to have if you were poor boys from East London so I cannot prove I wrote the words and melody for Strange World.

As for anyone who recorded with the band, why are they not on the album credits? Would that be through agreement or fact?

As for before the time of albums and recording deals I would say it was creative theft, not deliberate as probably I would have done the same thing myself to keep it clean and simple. I think however, if it made me a mega amount of money in the future I would have done the right thing and make amends. As back then we were all pulling for the same side and it still hurts to think the first ever song I ever composed was on a big selling album and nobody knows it was me. Not to mention how I scrape to earn a living while Mr. Harris is living like a god!

Yes you can quote me on the above. But please keep in mind I shan’t be doing any more interviews re. Iron Maiden as I had a musical life after Iron Maiden and it sours my day.

- - -

What would he mean with:

"As for anyone who recorded with the band, why are they not on the album credits? Would that be through agreement or fact?"

He means who played with the band, right? I am not good in some expressions either so what is:
"through agreement or fact"? It was a fact he didn't get a credit, so this doesn't make much sense to me.

"But please keep in mind I shan’t be doing any more interviews re. Iron Maiden as I had a musical life after Iron Maiden and it sours my day."

"..it sours my day"

What does that mean?

Anyway, the whole things sounds sad and painful. Not doing interviews anymore about Maiden, that goes far.

Are you looking for a literal translation of some of the English phrases he uses, or just further understanding of what he means by his comments.
Apologies, I am not sure, as you never know on the internet about ones first language etc.... But just in case:

"....it sours my day"
- it means it ruins his day. Talking about Iron Maiden ruins his day.

"As for anyone who recorded with the band, why are they not on the album credits? Would that be through agreement or fact?"
- this is confusing, I think it is badly written on his part, but your interpretation is correct.

In regards to his other comments;

1) Sadly, I think there is sufficient evidence to suggest that issues surround Maiden(Steve) not providing writing credits where due and this has been going on from the early days right through to Brave New World.

For me, it's the most disappointing behaviour demonstrated by the band/Steve.

In light of this, I am open to the idea that maybe this guy did write the lyrics - indeed, I always thought the lyrics of 'Strange World' were totally unique for Maiden's first two albums (I could imagine Bruce writing such lyrics, but not anyone from the first two albums).

2) In regards to his comments about not getting recording credits - this clearly suggests that people have played on an album and not received such credit. I am less inclined to believe this - not because I think Paul Mario Day is lying, but because he is simply mistaken - perhaps confusing an album with the Soundhouse Tapes E.P (where I am inclined to think there's a second non-credited guitarist).

Your conclusion is certainly right - it is very sad.
I had always thought that 'formal' credit for song writing contributions were being withheld but that the band had at least financially bought off the past members with at least some money in recognition for their work. This latest post from Paul Mario Day suggests otherwise.

Truth be told, if true (and I think it may well be), then I really am quite disgusted by the band/Harris. Like Paul Mario Day says, surely now with tens of millions in the bank, errors can now be amended (at least financially)?

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply and clearing some stuff up Nibblet. I am sure he did not mean to say that he co-recorded that song for the album (or another occasion).

To people who asked if he has called the band about this, he replied that he is too proud too ask, hoping people would do the right thing. And that he cannot prove anything or have the finances to fight against that kinda weight.

Last edited:
There's no way Paul won't be doing Iron Maiden interviews anymore. He's too much of an attention hound for that. In fact, that's why he just said it, to get a little pity.

While I agree there is tons of evidence suggesting Steve has shorted non-band members from writing credits, there is no evidence suggesting this has occurred for people currently in the band. Paul was credited for several songs he wrote the lyrics for while he was with Maiden, such as Killers. Why would he not have been credited for Strange World? This is a song that came from the very earliest incarnations of Maiden - does anyone know if it was played in the Willcock era?

Wait, I'm so confused. Is he the original singer? Then I apologize. Sorry, I'm having a really...bad day.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. Strange World has always been an oddball song, both musically and (especially) lyrically.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is true. Strange World has always been an oddball song, both musically and (especially) lyrically.

And a song they have rarely played. Guilty conscious on Steve's part?
But perhaps I am reading too much into it, though I always preferred it to the more frequently played 'Remember Tomorrow'.

Not doing interviews anymore about Maiden, that goes far.

To be honest, I think that's good. For him. It must be a terrible thing to be known for nothing but having been a singer in a band for a brief period all your life. I think the recent "early days" outburst by ex-members should be seen before this background - a bunch of guys who have been living in the shadow of their 15 minutes of fame or less for four decades.

To be honest, I think that's good. For him. It must be a terrible thing to be known for nothing but having been a singer in a band for a brief period all your life. I think the recent "early days" outburst by ex-members should be seen before this background - a bunch of guys who have been living in the shadow of their 15 minutes of fame or less for four decades.

But surely it is even more terrible if their input toward the band is not credited. I'm not referring to those who just played a few gigs in the early days, but those that may be owed recognition for song writing credits or even recording credits.

Absolutely, but I would think that if they found more recognition after their stint with Maiden for their personal achievements, lacking credits may not hurt as much.

Of course. But as we know, they didn't - arguably a sign of their limited talent or drive?
But in light of their lack of accomplishment, it remains a shame that they are not being given their dues, especially in times of financial compensation (if the allegations are true). But who knows, I suspect (hope) that behind the scenes deals will be done to make right this situation.

Didn't one of the bands former roadies complain that he had been promised a gold disc back in 1980 for suggesting Steve take two songs and merge them together to make 'Killers', but subsequently never received the gold disc..... Until, after complaining about this on the web sometime last year, he then just very recently posted on Face Book a gold disc that he was just sent.
(I think it was someone going by the name of Loopy, one of the original Killer Crew).

If so, it appears that Steve is not adverse to making things right, eventually.

Last edited:
Yes, it was Loopy.

I agree, it would be nice if all the 'old guys' got their due credit, and of course, any Maiden fan would be interested to know who wrote what. I think reading somewhere on the Maiden77 Facebook page that they all don't actually blame Steve for it, but Rod.

Wait, I'm so confused. Is he the original singer? Then I apologize. Sorry, I'm having a really...bad day.
No prob at all! Cheers.
Yes, you're right. The pain goes far enough, at least.

This Loopy story is quite funny, because Steve actually tried to sort it out, but made a mistake. He promised the gold disc for a suggestion to merge two bass parts to do what would eventually become "Killers", but he sent a gold disc of the debut (or rather, had this golden disc sent).
I have an interview with Steve (2000), where he openly says that, regarding songwriting (not credits, songwriting), he has less ego problems than in the early days. At the time, he had this Ian Anderson syndroma : he wanted his name all over the place. I'm inclined to think that some of this early songs were vastly transformed afterwards, in the course of the many years and gigs that separeted their initial form and their recording ; and Steve was unwilling to recognize the initial contribution. And Rod certainly did nothing to change this.

Not sure where to put this, but here a new cover of this song:

I don't recall another cover of Strange World. A first?

Anyway, this one lacks (on purpose?) that typical atmosphere of the original. Still, not an unoriginal approach.

I'm inclined to think that some of this early songs were vastly transformed afterwards, in the course of the many years and gigs that separeted their initial form and their recording ; and Steve was unwilling to recognize the initial contribution. And Rod certainly did nothing to change this.

This seems quite likely to me.

Not sure where to put this, but here a new cover of this song:

I don't recall another cover of Strange World. A first?

Anyway, this one lacks (on purpose?) that typical atmosphere of the original. Still, not an unoriginal approach.

I quite liked that. The original is one of my least favourite Maiden songs.

Even so, in 1980, their 2nd single "Sanctuary" was credited to "Iron Maiden". Years ago i always thought that was odd, probably the only song co-written by the entire band.

Yes, it was Loopy.

I agree, it would be nice if all the 'old guys' got their due credit, and of course, any Maiden fan would be interested to know who wrote what. I think reading somewhere on the Maiden77 Facebook page that they all don't actually blame Steve for it, but Rod.
#IBlameRod

Back