Paschendale

How good is Paschendale on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Just to clarify that the "eagle" cry is actually a red-tailed hawk's cry. Eagles sound far chirpier than their impressive appearance would suggest.
Thanks for the clarification, though this song still fails to take flight, regardless of which bird species embodies it... :D

Difficult call, and a bit of random one at that, but I've probably had more enjoyment of Sabaton overall that I have of this one single Maiden song.

Part of that is that I'm not keen on artistic portrayals of the First World War, though, and prefer a song with more flow to it. The stop-start thing doesn't do much for me.

I love Sabaton, but if you told me I could have either the entire Sabaton discography or this one song, I'd pick Paschendale without a second thought. It's the type of music that Sabaton has wet dreams about making.
I used to love Paschendale. But I found that somehow over the years I stopped revisiting it.

Same, Paschendale has been dropping down in my rankings too. It's the same with the Dance of Death title track, actually. There's no doubt I'd take 9 Sabaton albums over one Maiden song.

Same, Paschendale has been dropping down in my rankings too. It's the same with the Dance of Death title track, actually. There's no doubt I'd take 9 Sabaton albums over one Maiden song.
Indeed. Sabaton has grown into one of the premier live metal bands. Massively entertaining and they bring in big crowds. Not too far in quality from Maiden's live performances and their stage sets are on par. Wouldn't even take Paschendale over Sabatons handful of best songs.

Hi, I've reopened this song for voting, after resetting the votes.

Please add your vote for this song and consider the following tips:

• Try to be consistent across the Iron Maiden catalogue. Don't vote based on the place on the album, but the place in the overall catalogue.
  • 1 should be the worst Iron Maiden songs, 10 should be the best. You can have lots of 10s and 1s as you see fit.
  • Don't vote based on other people's votes. IE, if you think a song is overrated, don't give it a 1 or 2 just because you think it's getting "too high" of votes.

Boring and overrated, this song isn’t near as good as people say, I always skip this one, too bland to be among Iron’s epics. Its hard to understand what is the fuzz about this one. Damn I loved The Parchment on the first listen, and the beloved Paschendale just don’t click to me, so nobody can accuse me of don’t like the bigger progg songs, I just don’t like of the bland ones.

Just re-listened to it, the verse 'Blood is falling like the rain' etc. and Janick Gers' brutal solo remain as astonishing as they were the first time I listened to them. The carneficine of Paschendale captured in little more than 30 seconds.

Back