Pantera

• Thread starter Deleted member 7164
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7164

No Pantera thread here? Heresy!

Here's my top album list (I don't care about pre-Anselmo material)

1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Vulgar Display Of Power
3. Power Metal
4. Reinventing The Steel
5. Far Beyond Driven
6. The Great Southern Trendkill

For those unaware, Power Metal (1988) is their first album with Phil Anselmo, althrough Cowboys From Hell is a first major-label record. A heavy-thrash record influenced by Priest, Slayer and Maiden, features a few outstanding tracks such as Over And Out, Death Trap, We'll Meet Again, Burnnn, PST 88....others are mostly generic heavy metal.

(At least) Over And Out + Death Trap were played in Cowboys From Hell era (89/90/91 concerts).

Hard to rank but I think it goes something like this...

1 Far Beyond Driven
2 Vulgar Display/The Great Southern Trendkill
3 Cowboys From Hell
4 Reinventing The Steel

Never listened much to Power Metal so I'm not gonna include it :)

Last edited:
Vulgar Display is kind of on the same tier as Appetite Of Destruction for me; while it's from a band I consider overrated, it's nonetheless a damn solid album.

PanteraMetalMagic.jpg

I just love this cover. :wub:

If you don't like "regular" Pantera (eg. the angry hardcore thrash/groove stuff that became characteristic for them), try listening to songs from Power Metal that I've listed above.

Most of you know that Pantera released three very bad "metal" albums, considered glam, before Anselmo kicked in. This part of their history is shunned away. While Power Metal is a transitional album, stuff from it was strong enough for "proper" Pantera to include it in CFH tour and in between.

1. Cowboys From Hell
2. Vulgar Display Of Power
3. Power Metal
4. Reinventing The Steel
5. Far Beyond Driven
6. The Great Southern Trendkill

Agree, with the exception that I don't know Power Metal. I liked Reinventing The Steel quite a bit. Far Beyond Driven was a big hit when it came out, but I think it's overrated.

Trendkill's my favourite. The whole album is epic.
Vulgar's 1st side is immense but side 2 loses it for me.
Saw them in 2000. They were crap!

Yeah, By Demons Be Driven is ok, and Hollow is great, but other three, not so. First six tracks of album are immense. Mouth For War is one of my favourite opening tracks ever.

But nothing touches CFH in my Pantera book :)

Check out this pro boot, including Power Metal / Cowboys From Hell songs. The sound is great, and really brings Power Metal songs to life.

Go to YT, someone posted setlist / time in comments.

Vulgar video. The second Pantera home video is on YouTube here in it's entirety. Great footage of maybe Pantera in their prime!

"I still drink every night" :(
RIP Vinnie. It wasn't easy last 15 years after that night in Ohio.

Btw, I was never ever interested in any kind of "reunion".

Back