Overall Favorite Albums

01. Iron Maiden - Brave New World (best album of my favourite band)
02. Autumn - Altitude (contains my favourite song ever: Skydancer -
)
03. Marillion - Afraid Of Sunlight (best album of my second favourite band)
04. Bruce Dickinson - The Chemical Wedding (lost for words...)
05. Halford - Resurrection (the Metal God at its best)
06. Marillion - Seasons End
07. Iron Maiden - The Number Of The Beast
08. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime (best concept album ever)
09. Marillion - Clutching At Straws
10. Def Leppard - Hysteria (Love And Affection, Gods Of War, Hysteria, Women)
Marillion are into my 3 top bands too. Cheers

My top ten favorite albums:

01 Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
02 Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
03 Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
04 Bob Dylan - John Wesley Harding
05 Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

I discovered Dylan when I was 18. It was life changing and then caused me to search out other artists which are listed below. I had a 10 disc CD changer from age 18 to probably 38 and these five discs only left the first five slots when they were remastered and I switched them out with those versions. I no longer have the player so they are back in their cases but to this day I still listen to them constantly.

06 The Velvet Underground And Nico
07 The Velvet Underground - White Light White Heat
08 The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
09 The Beatles - White Album
10 Neil Young - On The Beach

After this you start getting into the Maiden and 80's Metallica and Slayer albums.

#11: Slayer - Reign In Blood
Let's be honest, nothing has been the same since this album was dropped. It's only 29 minutes long, and yet it's one of the most gripping, brutal, kickass album of all time. All ten songs on here are great, and it's overall one hell of a ride.

#10: Death - Symbolic
It's not my favorite Death album, yet Symbolic is still in my list. There's just something about it that's different from everything else. It stretched the boundaries of death metal and transcends the genre, and I'm not surprised people consider it Death's finest hour. It's as if you've been placed in a wasteland and Chuck and his gang are the only thing around you... epic.

Facts!

#5: Megadeth - Rust In Peace
From the opening to "Holy Wars" to the end of "Polaris", Rust In Peace remains one of the albums that helped bring me into the metal genre. And it's filled with classics. "Hangar 18" is my favorite song of all time, "Tornado of Souls" has the greatest solo of all time, and even the lesser tracks are still pretty goddamn good, like "Lucretia", "Take No Prisoners", and "Five Magics". Great stuff.

#4: Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
My favorite Maiden album keeps switching, but for now, this has taken the number 2 spot. The feel of the album, from the guitar to the synths, is what drives it, and I have yet to hear something sound more sci-fi than this. One of the best.

More facts!

#8: Mercyful Fate - Don't Break The Oath
An album that, start to finish, is just great. A lot of it seems like it shouldn't work. Take "The Oath". Lyrics directly from a black mass sung in falsetto over heavy metal? And yet it remains one of the greatest metal songs ever. This album is the pinnacle of Fate and King's careers. A classic of the genre.

#2: Iron Maiden - Powerslave
This album sums up why I love Maiden. All the songs on here fit together so well, the drumming is excellent, the bass is superb, the guitars are godly, and Bruce is the goddamn best. It all goes by so fast, it's so good. Love it.

.... and some more facts.

Venom - Welcome To Hell
This album is soooo good. It's a great mix of thrash and black metal, as it is foundations for both. Great riffs all throughout, and always a fun listen. Fun to play bass along too

I've always defended that Venom was the 1st band ever to sound like thrash metal. IMO the first two pure thrash metal records came out both in the same week back in 84 (Haunting The Chapel and Ride The Lightning). Kill'Em All or Show No Mercy are much more into speed metal. Venom had that Motorhead's Overkill noisy and speeded up full throtle sound on steroids with a more aggressive edge. Great album and probably should get the same recognition given to Metallica, Slayer, Exodus or Overkill as creators of Thrash Metal. As for Black Metal I would agree they influeced mainly regarding the thematic and visual aspects. Soundlike I would point to 3 acts that came out a couple of years after: Hellhammer, Sodom and of course Bathory.

Last edited:
Iron Maiden - Somewhere in Time
AC/DC - Flick of the Switch
NOFX - Thanks for all the Shoes
Pennywise - Land of the Free?
Metallica - ...and justice for all
Lagwagon - Blaze
Eminem - Marshall Mathers LP
Rise Against - Siren Song of the Counter Culture
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Linking Park - Hybrid Theory

If it's only Metal* I would go as follow (no order in particular):
  • Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
  • Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
  • Slayer - Reign In Blood
  • Judas Priest - Painkiller
  • Godflesh - Selfless
  • Paradise Lost - Draconian Times
  • Devin Townsend - Infinity
  • Rosetta - Wake/Lift
  • Cynic - Traced In Air
  • Cult Of Luna - Mariner
HM to: Death - Individual Thought Patterns/ Symbolic, Cynic - Focus, Fear Factory - Demanufacture, Process Of Guilt - Erosion, Candlemass - Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, Napalm Death - Scum/ Utopia Banished, Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos, Sabbat - History Of A time To Come, Voivod - Dimension Hatross/Phobos, Rosetta - Quintissential Epherma, Terrorizer - World Downfall, Entombed - Wolverine Blues/ Clandestine, Paradise Lost - Icon / Shades Of God, Iron Maiden - Powerslave/ Seventh Son/ Piece Of Mind, Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny, Carcass - Necroticism, Ihsahn - Amr/Eremita, Strapping Young Lad - City/ Alien, Cult Of Luna - Vertikeal, Bruce Dickinson - Chemical Wedding, Black Sabbath - Paranoid, Megadeth - Rust In Peace, Sepultura - Chaos AD/ Arise, Samael - Above, Bathory - Blood Fire Death, Testament - Low, The Haunted - Revolver... and some more :p

* One Second is more Rock with an electronic edge, appart from a handful of songs I never considered Tool to be "Metal" per se and Infinity is so all over the place it cannot fit only one musical genre.

Last edited:
My top ten, limiting it to one album per artist, and keeping it in the realm of rock/metal, would be:

Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Wishbone Ash - Argus
Yes - Fragile
King Crimson - Red
Pink Floyd - Animals
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
The Who - Quadrophenia
Thin Lizzy - Live and Dangerous (do live albums count?)
Slayer - Hell Awaits
Rage Against the Machine - s/t

I'll only list my very top favourite album of all time presently - Mercyful Fate's Melissa.

The best written songs of all time, not a single bad riff, not a single bad solo, not a single bad transition, not a single bad vocal line. Every song is an absolute masterpiece and a monument for all of metal, even the short songs feel like epics with how complex yet catchy they are. One of the first metal albums that completely abandoned verse-chorus structure in places (Satan's Fall, At The Sound of the Demon Bell) and did it magnificently. One day I was playing it in the car and a friend that doesn't like metal at all said that the transitions were very smooth. Atmosphere can be cut with a knife and King's vocals are top notch all the way through. Nothing else in the world sounds anything like 'Melissa', not even 'Don't Break The Oath' can touch it. Best ever in my opinion.

Back