Orchestra in Dance of Death?

One part of DoD that always intrigued me was the progressive orchestral tone many of the tracks seem to have. It's most notable in Face in the Sand and Journeyman to my ears - they sound as if they have violin-family strings providing the backing harmonies.

Pardon my ignorance - I'm not very familiar with audio production/recording - but were these just effects added post-production, or was some sort of effects pedal used for the guitars? I'm assuming it's not actually other musicians, because they aren't mentioned in the personnel anywhere, but I guess that can't be ruled out either.

Thanks for the help.

One part of DoD that always intrigued me was the progressive orchestral tone many of the tracks seem to have. It's most notable in Face in the Sand and Journeyman to my ears - they sound as if they have violin-family strings providing the backing harmonies.
Pardon my ignorance - I'm not very familiar with audio production/recording - but were these just effects added post-production, or was some sort of effects pedal used for the guitars? I'm assuming it's not actually other musicians, because they aren't mentioned in the personnel anywhere, but I guess that can't be ruled out either.
Thanks for the help.
The orchestral arrangements on BNW (Blood Brothers & The Nomad) are credited to Jeff Bova.
Jeff Bova's Wiki page doesn't mention DoD, but this BantaMu entry does:
http://bantamu.com/users/425-jeff-bova?lang=it&page=4
I can't be bothered rooting around further, but this guy looks like your man! Keyboards.

Last edited:
The orchestral arrangements on BNW (Blood Brothers & The Nomad) are credited to Jeff Bova.
Jeff Bova's Wiki page doesn't mention DoD, but this BantaMu entry does:
http://bantamu.com/users/425-jeff-bova?lang=it&page=4
I can't be bothered rooting around further, but this guy looks like your man! Keyboards.
Thanks a lot for the research! I just looked back at the DoD Wikipedia page, and it credits Harris on keyboard and co-producer (honestly surprised I didn't think of keyboard as an option beforehand). Safe to conclude that's it's either him or Bova, but most likely the former.

It's great to get it cleared up. Thanks again.

Back