Opeth

By Request, Part 1 - Orchid:

• Total voters
Oh shit, I did not notice that, fucking yes! I posted the picture solely because of that stupid quote :p

When's it getting released?

It looks like it’s just included with the magazine, don’t see anything about a separate release.

It's available already, actually.

pirate.gif

Listening to it in proper order now:

Eternal Rains Will Come - Right off the bat I'm disappointed at how poorly the orchestra was recorded. Strings kicked ass on this song and you can barely hear them here... Even shitty phone YouTube videos showcase it better. Still a pretty awesome performance though, I like it more than the studio recording because it's way heavier and Axe isn't restrained.

Cusp Of Eternity - Gazillion times better than the studio recording, even if it (again) downplays the orchestra and the choir. I think this is a soundboard recording and wasn't planned to be more than a bonus. Sad!

The Drapery Falls - Epic as fuck performance until the growls kick in... They are really rough here. The higher ones are OK but the lower stuff is really bad. They sounded way better in person tbh. Also, the guitars are kinda silent here. Maybe it would've been better if they did only the songs with clean vocals with the orchestra and a heavy 2nd set, like Lamentations.

Demon Of The Fall - Forgettable recording. Bad vocals and orchestra didn't have much to add and you can't even hear it properly.

Voice Of Treason - Now, this song was tailor made for orchestra and it shows. Best recording on here probably.

The Devil's Orchard - Thank fuck for this, now I don't need to listen to any Heritage studio recording ever again :p This is fucking perfect. Better production than the studio version, way heavier and with an added bonus of orchestra here and there.

The Grand Conjuration - Solid performance. Studio recording is obviously superior due to much better production and vocals but this one is also good due to quite noticeable orchestra. Best one of the 4 songs with growls.

Deliverance - They turned up the orchestra on this song at last. Thankfully, that covers up the bad growls and the fact that they played it slower compared to original. I'd put it in the solid category along with the previous song. Will rather listen to the studio or Lamentations recording, but this one is an interesting take too.

Verdict: 4 songs with cleans are awesome; of 4 songs with growls, 2 are solid, 1 is half solid, 1 is forgettable

It's available already, actually.

pirate.gif

Listening to it in proper order now:

Eternal Rains Will Come - Right off the bat I'm disappointed at how poorly the orchestra was recorded. Strings kicked ass on this song and you can barely hear them here... Even shitty phone YouTube videos showcase it better. Still a pretty awesome performance though, I like it more than the studio recording because it's way heavier and Axe isn't restrained.

Cusp Of Eternity - Gazillion times better than the studio recording, even if it (again) downplays the orchestra and the choir. I think this is a soundboard recording and wasn't planned to be more than a bonus. Sad!

The Drapery Falls - Epic as fuck performance until the growls kick in... They are really rough here. The higher ones are OK but the lower stuff is really bad. They sounded way better in person tbh. Also, the guitars are kinda silent here. Maybe it would've been better if they did only the songs with clean vocals with the orchestra and a heavy 2nd set, like Lamentations.

Demon Of The Fall - Forgettable recording. Bad vocals and orchestra didn't have much to add and you can't even hear it properly.

Voice Of Treason - Now, this song was tailor made for orchestra and it shows. Best recording on here probably.

The Devil's Orchard - Thank fuck for this, now I don't need to listen to any Heritage studio recording ever again :p This is fucking perfect. Better production than the studio version, way heavier and with an added bonus of orchestra here and there.

The Grand Conjuration - Solid performance. Studio recording is obviously superior due to much better production and vocals but this one is also good due to quite noticeable orchestra. Best one of the 4 songs with growls.

Deliverance - They turned up the orchestra on this song at last. Thankfully, that covers up the bad growls and the fact that they played it slower compared to original. I'd put it in the solid category along with the previous song. Will rather listen to the studio or Lamentations recording, but this one is an interesting take too.

Verdict: 4 songs with cleans are awesome; of 4 songs with growls, 2 are solid, 1 is half solid, 1 is forgettable

Very disappointed. Bought this today but the cd that came with mine only has 5 tracks and doesn’t have all the tracks that night prowler listed above.

My cd only has :

Eternal rains will come
Deomon of the fall
The devils orchard
The grand conjugation
Deliverence

All solid tracks so better than nothing I guess but I wanted cups of eternity and the drapery falls which were mentioned above. Haven’t actually listed to the cd just going by the track listing on the back of the cardboard sleeve.

You got the right thing; my review was both of that CD and the bonus songs from the last album, all of which were recorded at the same show. I just sorted them in proper order and then listened to them that way.

Ah that’s good to know. Don’t know why I never twigged as I’ve also got the bonus songs from the last album. When I rip this cd onto my iTunes I’ll slot in the bonus songs in the order you posted above which should make a nice little live album.

I'm only 7 minutes into this interview, but it's really awesome!

Gear things I've learned:
- Mikael uses a TC Electronics Bodyrez pedal mixed with his Piezo pickup to get a full acoustic sound.
- Mikael and Frederik use a Joe Satriani Marshall head when they play live!

I saw that tour, the setlist really flowed well and was quite powerful. If that video is any indication, the setting will add a lot of amazing vibes.

Also, that performance and mix (even on YouTube) sounds 100% better than the studio recording. Actually sounds like Opeth.

Back