Official thread for Final Frontier discussion

Travis The Dragon

AFTERGLOW!!!
Track listing;
"The Final Frontier" track listing (total running time 76:35):

01. Satellite 15....The Final Frontier (8:40)
02. El Dorado (6:49)
03. Mother Of Mercy (5:20)
04. Coming Home (5:52)
05. The Alchemist (4:29)
06. Isle Of Avalon (9:06)
07. Starblind (7:48)
08. The Talisman (9:03)
09. The Man Who Would Be King (8:28)
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (10:59)

Release date: August 16
Approximate countdown to the date: http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... =00&p0=219

Some countries will be officially releasing it as early as August 13. Here is a countdown to that: http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/cus ... ec=00&p0=0

Album art:
maidenfrontier.jpg

Youtube links streaming the El Dorado
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lwrg2u_gCM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LENByhQyb-I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nVhhN30ieU

The 2nd new song: The Final Frontier is streaming at ironmaiden.com

Some interesting items about the album:

CONFIRMED writing credits:
Edu_Smith said:
1. Satellite 15.....The Final Frontier (Smith/Harris) 8:40
2. El Dorado (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 6:49
3. Mother Of Mercy (Smith/Harris) 5:20
4. Coming Home (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 5:52
5. The Alchemist (Gers/Harris/Dickinson) 4:29
6. Isle Of Avalon (Smith/Harris) 9:06
7. Starblind (Smith/Harris/Dickinson) 7:48
8. The Talisman (Gers/Harris) 9:03
9. The Man Who Would Be King (Murray/Harris) 8:28
10. When The Wild Wind Blows (Harris) 10:59

http://www.mega-media.nl/react.php?id=9141

Forostar said:
So let's get rid of that misconception people. For the ones who didn't hear the interview yet, on the official forum, a member called TroySpringer (thanks dude!) took some notes during yesterday's RockLine show with Steve and Janick.

Similar Writing Credits to AMOLAD

FF has More Time Changes and More “Proggy” (as Steve said)

Also from Rockline:
Jeffmetal said:
Steve said that TFF is a completely different of AMOLAD, except for partnership composers.

From a radio interview in Arizona:
Jeffmetal said:
Janick is on! Said that El Dorado isn't representative of the album. It's a very varied and HEAVY album.

From 7digital:
Iron Maiden’s highly anticipated new studio album THE FINAL FRONTIER has been confirmed for 16th August release. Recorded at Compass Point Studios in Nassau Producer Kevin “Caveman” Shirley reports “Each of the guitar players has a very much more distinct sound on this record. The textures sound quite different to each other It’s nothing that I’m doing any differently, it’s what they’re doing differently, a landscape they’re painting for themselves...but its Maiden.
http://us.7digital.com/artists/iron-maiden/the-final-frontier?src=IM

[glow=red,2,300]June 24 update:[/glow]
Even though British heavy metal legends IRON MAIDEN opted to away a new song, "El Dorado", as a free MP3 download via the band's official web site, the group's frontman Bruce Dickinson wants to make it clear that the finished product sounds much better.

After announcing to the crowd at IRON MAIDEN's June 22, 2010 headlining concert at the White River Amphitheatre in Auburn, Washington that the band wanted to perform a new track from its much-anticipated new studio album, "The Final Frontier", Dickinson said, "I do apologize to those of you who've downloaded [the song], ripped it, done whatever... 'cause it's a freebie on the web at the moment. I do apologize to those of you who have downloaded it, not for any other reason but stuff that is on the Internet sounds like shit — it just does. MP3s, how to take all the balls out of the song... It's like, MP3s to music is what zombies are to Shakespeare — absolute bullshit. It's terrible. All these people listening to songs with cotton buds stuffed in their fucking ears. What is that all about? So for all those of you poor victims who downloaded it and thought, 'Oh, right. Yeah.' Well, the song is called 'El Dorado' and if you buy the record, it should sound like this."
Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbe ... mID=142080

[glow=red,2,300]June 30 update:[/glow]
Jeffmetal said:
First review of The Final Frontier - (in french - could someone, please, translate into English?):
It's from this forum - http://www.maidenforum.com/

Premiere écoute de "The Final Frontier"... résumé de Guitar/part

- Satellite 15... The Final Frontier: très longue intro, grosse rythmique, break puis gros riffs. Bruce se lâche. Pas une minute de répit pendant le morceau qui d'après eux est fait pour le live.

- El Dorado: on la connait

- Mother Of Mercy: morceau calme à l'esprit très '80...

- Coming Home: ballade

- The Alchemist: plus rapide

- Isle Of Avalon: belle intro en son clair, morceau épique qui repose sur la batterie de Nicko, d'après eux l'un des meilleurs de l'album...

- Starblind: ravira les shreddeurs, chanson sur le rôle de Dieu

- The Talisman: intro acoustique influence moyennageuse

- The Man Who Would Be King: Bruce est au meillleur de sa forme, un régal il parait.

- When The Wild Wind Blows: intro très pop '80 d'après eux...

Suicidehummer said:
Google Translator says:

First listen to "The Final Frontier" ... Summary Guitar / share

- Satellite 15 ... The Final Frontier: very long intro, great rhythm, great riffs and breaks. Bruce is loose. Not a minute's respite, during which the song from them is done to live.

- El Dorado: it knows it

- Mother Of Mercy: song calm mind very '80 ...

- Coming Home: ballad

- The Alchemist: Faster

- Isle Of Avalon: nice intro clear sound, epic song based on the battery Nicko, according to them one of the best album ...

- Starblind: shreddeurs will please, song on the role of God

- The Talisman: intro acoustic influence middle-aged type

- The Man Who Would Be King: Bruce Brut its form, a treat it seems.

- When The Wild Wind Blows: intro very pop '80 after them ...

Jeffmetal said:
A bit better translation I did myself (a friend told me it doesn't say much, so I trusted him. Also, it seems the person who wrote this listened to excerpts only) -  

Satellite 15...The Final Frontier - very long intro, heavy rhythm, break then heavy riff. Bruce is loose. Not a minute of rest during the part after that. Meant for playing live.

El Dorado - This one is already known.

Mother Of Mercy - this calm part is very much in the spirit of the 80's.

Coming Home - ballad

The Alchemist - very fast

Isle Of Avalon - beautiful intro with clean/clear sound, epic excerpt that rely upon Nicko's drumming, this excerpt is one of the best on the album.

Starblind - a feast for shredders, song about the role of God

The Talisman - acoustic intro influenced by middle ages?

The Man Who Would Be King - Bruce's at his best, a delight as it seems

When The Wild Wind Blows - intro very much like their own 80's fame

Will-I-Am said:
I made some corrections, automatic translators can be very misleading sometimes

Premiere écoute de "The Final Frontier"... résumé de Guitar/part ---> First listen of "The Final Frontier"...review of Guitar/part

- Satellite 15... The Final Frontier: très longue intro, grosse rythmique, break puis gros riffs. Bruce se lâche. Pas une minute de répit pendant le morceau qui d'après eux est fait pour le live.

---> Very long intro, heavy rythms /riffs. Bruce takes off (by word letting himself go) Not a minute of rest during the song which according to them is made for live

- El Dorado: on la connait

- Mother Of Mercy: morceau calme à l'esprit très '80...  ---> calm song as in 80s style...

- Coming Home: ballade

- The Alchemist: plus rapide  ---> more fast

- Isle Of Avalon: belle intro en son clair, morceau épique qui repose sur la batterie de Nicko, d'après eux l'un des meilleurs de l'album... ---> the latest Jeff translation is rather ok  

- Starblind: ravira les shreddeurs, chanson sur le rôle de Dieu ----> idem

- The Talisman: intro acoustique influence moyennageuse  ----> yes, influence of Middle Age

- The Man Who Would Be King: Bruce est au meillleur de sa forme, un régal il parait.  ---> Jeff's latest is more or less ok as well

- When The Wild Wind Blows: intro très pop '80 d'après eux... ----> d'apres eux it's according to them (Maiden ??)

Jeffmetal said:
Thanx, Will-I-Am. :ok:

Another report from private listening session for journalists:

From Jon Horse: I heard the Maiden album today. It's fucking long as fuck, pretty good, not their best but probably a grower.

I had to listen to it on a Discman in EMI's headquarters under the supervision of a security guard. They put on a nice spread; some good coffee, nice crisps, coca-cola, water, and I got given a t-shirt too.

So paranoid are management that we couldn't listen to it acoustically. There is another playback in July with beer and stuff so that'll be more like it.

It won't be their last studio album, though, heard noises that it was really just the subject matter that led them to that title.

It was just me and Joel McIver from Metal Hammer. I just stared out the window and wrote loads of notes down – one of them about how worrying one of the tracks sounds like 'Man On The Edge'!!!??? from the Blaze era. And drummed with my pen. The security guard (Tony) said: "You had that loud enough; it was blaring." Which was momentarily concerning. During the second spin I felt really conscious of the noise of me eating Kettle Chips. And I needed a pee.

76 minutes long!!??? I'll say it again, the coffee was nice. Some good rollicking Maiden going on, i just wish there was a real 'hit single' on it just to act as a focal point. Definitely a grower, though. 'The Final Frontier' is really dense. 'Coming Home' is a great track, though; Brucie's in his element. And 'El Dorado' gets better the more you hear it.

This The X Factor related reference sounds great to me. Hope there's a tone similar to The X Factor on The Final Frontier. :edmetal:

Jeffmetal said:
French magazine Metallian will bring a review of The Final Frontier on the latest edition, which will be available on newstands tomorrow.

[glow=red,2,300]July 1 update:[/glow]
Speed and warmth are the hallmarks of "The Final Frontier," Iron Maiden's 15th studio album. The British metal sextet recorded at Compass Point Studios in the Bahamas -- returning to the spot where the group had previously recorded between 1983-86.

"We breezed through the album, really," guitarist Dave Murray tells Billboard.com. "We actually finished it in six weeks. We were getting down a track a day -- all playing together as a band, Bruce (Dickinson) singing, all in the same room, so there's a very live-in-the-studio feel to it. Once we finished a track we'd jump straight into doing some extra guitar bits. It was very quick for us."

Murray says the 10-track set, produced by Kevin Shirley, mixes "straight-ahead, uptempo rock songs with good grooves with some other tracks that are kind of longer and more complex." One, the politically-tinged "El Dorado," is currently available for fans to download. Another highlight is the album-closing "When the Wild Wind Blows," an 11-minute track that's one of the longest songs Iron Maiden has ever recorded. "The rhythm's a little bit different from what we've done before, and there's lots of melodies," Murray reports. "It's a big song. We learned it in sections just because it was such a complex arrangement, but it sounds quite natural (on the record)."

"The Final Frontier" is Iron Maiden's first set of new material since 2006's "A Matter of Life and Death," the group's longest gap ever between studio albums. But Murray says that thanks to other projects -- including 2009's platinum-selling, award-winning documentary "Flight 666" -- the group didn't feel the time pass. "There was still a lot of stuff coming out from the band, so it doesn't feel like four years," he says. "I guess time flies when you're having fun."

The Iron Maiden gang is getting its kicks again on the road, atypically touring before a new album's release. The group -- which wraps its North American trek on July 20 and kicks off in Europe 10 days later -- is playing "El Dorado" amongst established favorites such as "The Number of the Beast," "Hallowed Be Thy Name" and "Iron Maiden," but Murray says it's looking forward to bringing more of the new material to the stage in the future.

"It's summer so we just wanted to go out and enjoy ourselves and play a lot of old material are fans are going to know," he explains. "We'll definitely be out again -- We're not sure when, but we'll definitely be playing more songs from the new album. But at the moment it's nice because you're always planning ahead and what you're going to be doing in five years, and sometimes it's nice to just live in the moment."
Source: http://www.billboard.com/news/iron-maid ... tag=hpfeed

Jeffmetal said:
Ranko and Will-I-Am and othewr french mates, the scan is here! Now, it's with you - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/ ... review.jpg

Another resume from a Maiden french forum: "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier : incroyable assaut sonore. Barrage de riffs brutalement heavy et atonaux, couches de percussions tribales et touches atmosphériques à la Somewhere in time en ouverture (Je suis pas sur de saisir tout ce qu'ils ont voulu dire mais il a l'air content le journaliste)
Approche directe d'Adrian, un peu à la UFO. Titre vibrant destiné à être une hymne en live.

L'Hymne Mother of Mercy et le suprème Coming Home (la encore il a l'air d'avoir aimé,
Riffs puissants et mélodies entrainantes.

Starblind Basé sur les claviers (oups, ) mélange de percussions titubantes et maitrisées par Nicko et une grande perf de Bruce.

The Talisman Une théâtralité dans la quelle le groupe excelle

Isle of Avalon Une tension incroyable et l'un des soli les plus expressif entendu sur un album de Maiden

When the Wild Wind blows Une des plus brillantes compos d'Harris, mélodie celtique, avec une approche de la basse différente de ce à quoi Steve nous habitués.

"The Final Frontier est sans conteste l'album le plus puissant du groupe depuis le retour de Bruce et Adrian"

Hope it gets translated asap!!! :edmetal:
Translated:
Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
All you need to do is Google: translate French to English. Here is what I got out of the above post from Jeff:

Satellite 15 ... The Final Frontier: Incredible sound assault. Dam brutally heavy riffs and atonal, layers of tribal percussion and atmospheric keys to opening Somewhere in Time (I'm not seize anything they wanted to say but he looks happy journalist)
Direct approach of Adrian, a little at a UFO. Title to be a vibrant anthem live.

Ode Mother of Mercy and the supreme Coming Home (the more he seems to have loved,
Powerful riffs and catchy melodies.

Starblind Based on keyboards (oops,) reeling mix of percussion and mastered by Nicko and Bruce great perf.

The Talisman A theatricality in which the group excels

Isle of Avalon incredible tension and one of the most expressive solos heard on a Maiden album

When The Wild Wind blows One of the most brilliant compositions Harris, Celtic melody, with a different approach to the bass of what we used Steve.

"The Final Frontier is undoubtedly the album's strongest group since the return of Bruce and Adrian

[glow=red,2,300]July 1 update#2:[/glow]
Jeffmetal said:
Ranko and Will-I-Am and othewr french mates, the scan is here! Now, it's with you - http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l307/ ... review.jpg

Another resume from a Maiden french forum: "Satellite 15... The Final Frontier : incroyable assaut sonore. Barrage de riffs brutalement heavy et atonaux, couches de percussions tribales et touches atmosphériques à la Somewhere in time en ouverture (Je suis pas sur de saisir tout ce qu'ils ont voulu dire mais il a l'air content le journaliste)
Approche directe d'Adrian, un peu à la UFO. Titre vibrant destiné à être une hymne en live.

L'Hymne Mother of Mercy et le suprème Coming Home (la encore il a l'air d'avoir aimé,
Riffs puissants et mélodies entrainantes.

Starblind Basé sur les claviers (oups, ) mélange de percussions titubantes et maitrisées par Nicko et une grande perf de Bruce.

The Talisman Une théâtralité dans la quelle le groupe excelle

Isle of Avalon Une tension incroyable et l'un des soli les plus expressif entendu sur un album de Maiden

When the Wild Wind blows Une des plus brillantes compos d'Harris, mélodie celtique, avec une approche de la basse différente de ce à quoi Steve nous habitués.

"The Final Frontier est sans conteste l'album le plus puissant du groupe depuis le retour de Bruce et Adrian"

Hope it gets translated asap!!! :edmetal:

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
Here is what I got out of the above post from Jeff:

Satellite 15 ... The Final Frontier: Incredible sound assault. Dam brutally heavy riffs and atonal, layers of tribal percussion and atmospheric keys to opening Somewhere in Time (I'm not seize anything they wanted to say but he looks happy journalist)
Direct approach of Adrian, a little at a UFO. Title to be a vibrant anthem live.

Ode Mother of Mercy and the supreme Coming Home (the more he seems to have loved,
Powerful riffs and catchy melodies.

Starblind Based on keyboards (oops,) reeling mix of percussion and mastered by Nicko and Bruce great perf.

The Talisman A theatricality in which the group excels

Isle of Avalon incredible tension and one of the most expressive solos heard on a Maiden album

When The Wild Wind blows One of the most brilliant compositions Harris, Celtic melody, with a different approach to the bass of what we used Steve.

"The Final Frontier is undoubtedly the album's strongest group since the return of Bruce and Adrian

Re: New 2 day countdown added to Maiden's site!

Wow, this is very cool man, I can't wait, I want to know what iis this about.
I don't think Bruce and Steve are gay :))))), probably they love betwen them, but under some limits, you know :)).

I CAME
I wonder what it could be!

Tracklist/Album Art/The New Song on Tour?

The Ugly Eddie over the futuristic arrows as a massive picture makes me think Album Art.

No, I think the countdown is for the release of the first song from the new album. That's the simplest assumption. It would be reasonable to release a single just before the tour kicks off.

The concept of eddie's head with those crossed things is similar to the one on AMOLAD.

Hopefully the songs won't be as similar.  :p

Eddies Wingman said:
No, I think the countdown is for the release of the first song from the new album. That's the simplest assumption. It would be reasonable to release a single just before the tour kicks off.
I really hope you're right about that!
Murder89 said:
The concept of eddie's head with those crossed things is similar to the one on AMOLAD.

Hopefully the songs won't be as similar.  :p
Maiden always manages to come up with a different sound and style for every album so I'm sure it won't be like AMOLAD.
If my math is correct, the countdown seems to be right up to Maiden's Rockline appearance.

So on monday night or tuesday morning they could announce something...the tour begins between 4 days....so surely this has something to do with the new album or the new single...

The Clairvoyant said:
So on monday night or tuesday morning they could announce something...the tour begins between 4 days....so surely this has something to do with the new album or the new single...
You must not be in the USA because here in Minnesota, the countdown ends at 6:00, Monday night.

It is actually an odd time for an update.

In England it comes at midnight in 2 days (i.e. 48 hours and 7 minutes time) which is a bit useless because we should all theoretically be in bed by then :p And it doesn't clash with the rockline interview because thats at 11:30 Pm eastern time so it's about 4 and a half hours before then. Ah well, more to ponder!

Edit: It also makes sense for it to be the single. Thinking back to GME tour and Bruces 'rant' about Metallica and Napster and then saying "Upload Wildest Dreams and buy it if you like it". They'll probably just save us having to find a good copy of the song or only listening to terrible versions by giving us the proper version in advance. Makes sense.

They know all the crazy fans are already salivating to have their hands on the single, so why not put it up?

2 things - announcement of the new album release date, artwork and all details, and in my opinion, unfortunately, that it'll be the last one. Hope I'm wrong about the later, hope that instead is the new single or even that the album will be already available.

Could this be the dreaded announcement that this will be the last Maiden tour and album????? :eek:

maidenn.c.indiana said:
Could this be the dreaded announcement that this will be the last Maiden tour and album????? :eek:

Probably it's the last album, but obviously it's not the last tour.

can someone please tell me what time they are on rockline in the uk ?

Whatever the announcement is, i'm sure it has something to do with the new album and single. I'm guessing on the new tour they'll at least wanna do one song off it to promote TFF. So it would make sense to release the first single that way fans have a chance to get to know it before they touring starts.

When the countdown runs out, I just hope the site doesn't slow down too bad or freeze up with everyone trying to get on it at once. That's what happened with the announcement of the N.A. dates.

Such thing cannot happen as they took our free forum away to give a huge room to the server not to crash.

Remember that the countdown ends as the interview with Steve and Janick on Rockline starts.

Back