Official Football Thread

Albie said:
And I bet you got that match without having to pay an extortionate amount of money to old Rupert! I would say that this result favours no side - Man U lost the points with seconds to go, but Arsenal dropped valuable home points. Perhaps it may help Chelsea whilst they silently gain some ground.

However, this is the most pleasing of results today. Once again, Southend's away form is telling. 5 games unbeaten on the road. They need to get some good results at Roots Hall to really challenge for automatic promotion - but still keeping up this good away form. :D

I checked the League 1 table - only one point from promotion for Southend. But I actually am convinced that Leeds will take one of the top two spots. Their start to the season has been fearsome. Being in seventh already, after starting with 15 points of type "minus", is nothing less than impressive.

As for the Arsenal vs United game, you're totally right I didn't pay a lot to Rupert M., I watched it in a pub fifty metres from my exit door  :lol: I hope I'll have the time and money to take a trip to England some time during the season and watch a match or two.

Eddies Wingman said:
I checked the League 1 table - only one point from promotion for Southend. But I actually am convinced that Leeds will take one of the top two spots. Their start to the season has been fearsome. Being in seventh already, after starting with 15 points of type "minus", is nothing less than impressive.
For Leeds to get into the the top two come the end of the season, they will have to get the equivalent of 94+ points as the second place team has got at least 79 or more points over the last 5 seasons - and more often than not, they have got over 80 (last season Bristol City finished second with 85). It would be a monumental achievement if they did this - but it is not impossible.

Albie said:
For Leeds to get into the the top two come the end of the season, they will have to get the equivalent of 94+ points as the second place team has got at least 79 or more points over the last 5 seasons - and more often than not, they have got over 80 (last season Bristol City finished second with 85). It would be a monumental achievement if they did this - but it is not impossible.

Well, if we assume all teams will achieve the same win/draw/defeat ratios as in the first 14 games (a harsh assumption, of course) then actually we'll have Leeds on top ... but everybody have a lapse of form during the season, I guess. Including Leeds.

Speaking as a Manchester United fan, I would actually wish to see Leeds back in the Premiership. The rivalry between the teams (and cities) adds to the excitement. Club rivalry like Utd vs Liverpool/City/Leeds, Spurs vs Arsenal, Newcastle vs Sunderland (and many more) is one of the things keeping my interest for English football up in a time where clubs are bought by rich people from all over the world and ordinary people soon can't afford the season tickets any more.

Nedved broke Figo's leg. What a shame. Poor Luis. In his last season at highest level.  :(

Figo never had major injuries. Probably just one, and he was already at Real Madrid. Probably the secret to his career longevity.

Besides, i forgot to mention, it was his thirty-five birthday...  -_-

supersonic said:
He did save Adebayor's shot. But I can't really remember any other save ?

I count at least three here:
http://football.guardian.co.uk/Match_Re ... 88,00.html

Ah well, it was his 500th competition match in his career.

His debut: 23 April 1991 for Ajax (replacing Stabley Menzo in the 32th minute).

Van der Sar played:
226 competition matches for Ajax
66 for Juventus
127 for Fulham
81 for Manchester United.

In these 500 matches he made one goal! A penalty on May 3rd 1998, with Ajax vs. De Graafschap (8-1).

Manchester should have won the match,they were the better team that day but gallllasssssssss!!!!!

Well, what can we say? Koeman hasn't got the best start at Valencia. I just wonder. How can a team that is capable of beating Valencia at Mestalla finish 5th in the Norwegian league? It is usually years between each time a Norwegian side beats a top side from one of the best leagues in Europe.

As a supporter of another Norwegian team, this means I will have to live with cocky Rosenborg fans for some time. But at the same time I think results like this are great fun.

.... watched the match in a pub. Had too much beer ....

When will we get a rivalry like Tottenham v West Ham bring the exitement back into watching West Ham.

Today the one but last round, but already a big day (or a terrible day?) in the qualifications for next year's European Championships.

Will Norway give Turkey a decisive blow?
Will Holland qualify?
Will Poland qualify for the first time in history?
And Russia. Their away game in Israel will be followed by millions in the east but also in the west...
England's fate is fastened very tight to this match!

I think the biggest issue of the day is Scotland-Italy!

Shall World Champion Italy again not qualify for the European Championships straight after their WC victory? As told before, it would be their second time (WC in 1982, and missing EC 1984), and such a farce never happened to any other country in the history of football!

I really hope that the Scots beat the crap out the crybaby actors of the Mediterranean and that Matarazzi and the rest of his poser gang will stay home with their boring form of football.

Here is how I see group E unfolding:

Israel and Russia will draw. Russia have really not scored that many at all in their campaign and Israel have a good home record. They (Israel) will not be easy to beat and have nothing but pride to play for, Russia know they have to win against a team that held them at home earlier on in the competition.

Croatia will probably get the result they need against Macedonia to allow them qualification before the England game.

And I firmly believe England will beat Croatia next Wednesday and will qualify as second in the group. But for some Russians to say they deserve to qualify ahead of England is preposterous - as I said earlier, they have not scored enough goals and have drawn one too many games. England have the points on the bag (along with a better head to head against Russia), it is up to Russia to better it.

Group B:

Italy will hold Scotland to a draw today and the Scots will then need to rely on Ukraine beating France on Wednesday - and I can see France getting the point they need here. Italy will top this table with France second.

Group G:

Forostar, The Dutch will not get less than maximum points from their remaining games - if they can't get the necessary 3 points from a home tie with Luxembourg, then they should not be there next summer.

Group C:

Norway will not loose to Turkey at home today and will get the 3 points from the away trip in Malta to qualify ahead of Turkey.

Group F:

Both Sweden and Spain will go through as their only rivals (Northern Ireland and Denmark) are playing each other today and will cancel each other out - by drawing.

Group A has way too many permutations to allow me a prediction or two and the Germans and the Czech Republic are already through from Group D.

Thanks for sharing us your views Albie!

Albie said:
Here is how I see group E unfolding:

Israel and Russia will draw. Russia have really not scored that many at all in their campaign and Israel have a good home record. They (Israel) will not be easy to beat and have nothing but pride to play for, Russia know they have to win against a team that held them at home earlier on in the competition.

Croatia will probably get the result they need against Macedonia to allow them qualification before the England game.

And I firmly believe England will beat Croatia next Wednesday and will qualify as second in the group. But for some Russians to say they deserve to qualify ahead of England is preposterous - as I said earlier, they have not scored enough goals and have drawn one too many games. England have the points on the bag (along with a better head to head against Russia), it is up to Russia to better it.

You might be right about Russia not beating Israel, but would you have expected the result of Russia-England? Russia is doing unexpected things indeed. I'm eager to follow it and hope the BBC will broadcast a bit about it (or about Scotland). If so, it will be a hell of a football evening (just returned from shopping and bought some nice beers  :ok: )

Albie said:
Group B:

Italy will hold Scotland to a draw today and the Scots will then need to rely on Ukraine beating France on Wednesday - and I can see France getting the point they need here. Italy will top this table with France second.

I think that the last match of France will be a difficult one and the emotional Italians might break in Scotland tonight. I think that Scotland holds the best cards of these three countries.

Albie said:
Group G:

Forostar, The Dutch will not get less than maximum points from their remaining games - if they can't get the necessary 3 points from a home tie with Luxembourg, then they should not be there next summer.

I hope so. Underestimation is a silent killer, and I hope the lads give their best (they often suck vs small countries). As well interesting may be the clash between Roumania vs Bulgaria.

Albie said:
Group C:

Norway will not loose to Turkey at home today and will get the 3 points from the away trip in Malta to qualify ahead of Turkey.

Indeed. Eddies Wingman will be a happy man, I hope for him :)

Albie said:
Group F:
Both Sweden and Spain will go through as their only rivals (Northern Ireland and Denmark) are playing each other today and will cancel each other out - by drawing.

Group A has way too many permutations to allow me a prediction or two and the Germans and the Czech Republic are already through from Group D.

Boring groups indeed, since everything seems to be decided for a long time, unless Denmark will make an excellent finish, i.o.w. two victories.

What's your view on Poland? You think they'll make it, under Beenhakker?

Forostar said:
What's your view on Poland? You think they'll make it, under Beenhakker?
Poland need to beat Belgium tonight and they are through (I think), and as Belgium have been a bit poor during this campaign, I think the Poles may get the result they need.

Forostar said:
You might be right about Russia not beating Israel, but would you have expected the result of Russia-England? Russia is doing unexpected things indeed.
I would have thought a draw, to be honest, but I don't think the loss was that surprising considering how England have travelled this campaign. Aside from the Macedonia game, England's home record is why the are second - and Russia's three draws and lack of goals is why they are third.

My parents-in-law (is that a correct term?) just arrived here. They are from Poland (just like my wife) and they'll be pretty excited about tonight's match. The first time ever at a EC? Would be excellent!

By the way:
YES! The Scotland-Italy match will be broadcasted live, on one of our commercial channels! :)

Forostar said:
Thanks for sharing us your views Albie!

You might be right about Russia not beating Israel, but would you have expected the result of Russia-England? Russia is doing unexpected things indeed. I'm eager to follow it and hope the BBC will broadcast a bit about it (or about Scotland). If so, it will be a hell of a football evening (just returned from shopping and bought some nice beers  :ok: )

Indeed. Eddies Wingman will be a happy man, I hope for him :)

Thanks, I'm about to go buy some beer myself to prepare for the game, just two small hours now.

I must say I really hope both England and Scotland qualify. I'm also pleased with Finland's win today, I would love to see our Nordic neighbours qualify, hopefully together with Poland. (Poland play in nice colours, actually Fredrikstad took their colours from the Poles after a friendly match between Poland and Norway in the Twenties. Before that, they had played in various colours, but since then it has always been white shirt, red shorts, and socks with red and white strips).

Finland have to hope for Portugal and Serbia dropping points.

I would say Israel-Russia is a very open game. The Russians are very unpredictable and I would not be surprised to see them lose. But I think they have to be considered favourites, at least by a small margin.

For the Norway vs. Turkey game, the current form of the teams indicates an easy game for us, but the Turks have a very high level if they can play close to their best. A really tough game to bet on, I just hope we manage to get the point we need.

The "away" game against Turkey was a strange game indeed. We owned them in the first half and were 2-0 up - then we were struck by what I label "The England Syndrome". We became too passive when trying to defend our lead, the Turks had a lot of opportunities, but in the end it was two bloopers by our goalkeeper Thomas Myhre that allowed them to get a draw. A very frustrating 2nd half.

I just say good luck to everyone on this board having a team in action tonight, hoping for lots of drama.

Now, time to go get to the store and get some alcohol.

PS: Just heard a nice line from one of the studio hosts in the Norwegian TV2 pre-match studio. "This is a match that we need to, shall and must win, but we'll be fine with a draw"  :bigsmile:

Scotland - Italy
halftime: 0-1

Bummer!  :mad:

Italy is better but the Scots had quite some chances. It's not decided yet!

Forostar said:
Scotland - Italy
halftime: 0-1

Bummer!  :mad:

Italy is better but the Scots had quite some chances. It's not decided yet!

I noticed that. Crap. But nothing would, of course, be better than if the Scots did a little "Man United '99" comeback and scored twice in injury time  :)

And, of course, that Norway beat the shit out of the Turks. Time for the match. Let there be football!

Goodluck! I'll keep an eye on the score via Teletext. ;)

edit:

TERRIBLE. Scotland made 1-1 (all hope was back) and Italy made 2-1 in injury time(!), after a totally undeserved freekick (what the FUCK happened?!?!) was given to Italy. The freekick should even have gone to Scotland I think.

Scotland OUT
Italy to the EC

Forostar said:
Goodluck! I'll keep an eye on the score via Teletext. ;)

Too bad for Scotland - 1-2 now in extra time. Typical for Italy, they always do just as much as they need to get to the next stage.

1-1 at half time in Oslo. 1-0 by Erik Hagen, one of our big slow central defenders - he scored on an overhead bicycle kick from 7 metres! Quite incredible. The equalizer from the Turks was a low shot from distance - Håkon Opdal should really have kept that one out. Are the Turks jinxing our goalkeepers in some way?

And I observed Israel were up 1-0 against Russia. Very good news for England ...

Eddies Wingman said:
Too bad for Scotland - 1-2 now in extra time. Typical for Italy, they always do just as much as they need to get to the next stage.

1-1 at half time in Oslo. 1-0 by Erik Hagen, one of our big slow central defenders - he scored on an overhead bicycle kick from 7 metres! Quite incredible. The equalizer from the Turks was a low shot from distance - Håkon Opdal should really have kept that one out. Are the Turks jinxing our goalkeepers in some way?

And I observed Israel were up 1-0 against Russia. Very good news for England ...

I was just about to type the standings you gave. Interesting !

Back