Official Football Thread

They didn't qualify. The Netherlands didn't either.

Info from Wikipedia:
Another surprise was the qualification of Denmark in Group 3 at the expense of England. Having conceded a 2-2 draw at home against the Three Lions, the hitherto unknown Danes performed well in their other qualifiers and capped their impressive campaign with a 1-0 win at Wembley, while England dropped a point at home against Greece that ultimately cost them the qualifying berth.

Group 3
Team         Pts  Pld  W   D  L  GF  GA
Denmark      13   8    6   1  1  17   5   
England       12   8    5   2  1  23   3
Greece          8   8   3   2  3    8   10
Hungary        7   8    3   1  4  18   17
Luxembourg   0   8    0   0  8    5   36

Group 3 matches:
September 22, 1982, Denmark 2 - 2 England
October 9, 1982, Luxembourg 0 - 2 Greece
November 10, 1982, Luxembourg 1 - 2 Denmark
November 17, 1982, Greece 0 - 3 England
December 15, 1982, England 9 - 0 Luxembourg
March 27, 1983, Luxembourg 2 - 6 Hungary
March 30, 1983, England 0 - 0 Greece
April 17, 1983, Hungary 6 - 2 Luxembourg
April 27, 1983, Denmark 1 - 0 Greece
April 27, 1983, England 2 - 0 Hungary
May 15, 1983, Hungary 2 - 3 Greece
June 1, 1983, Denmark 3 - 1 Hungary
September 21, 1983, England 0 - 1 Denmark
October 12, 1983, Hungary 0 - 3 England
October 12, 1983, Denmark 6 - 0 Luxembourg
October 26, 1983, Hungary 1 - 0 Denmark
November 16, 1983, Greece 0 - 2 Denmark
November 16, 1983, Luxembourg 0 - 4 England
December 3, 1983, Greece 2 - 2 Hungary
December 14, 1983, Greece 1 - 0 Luxembourg

The Dutch drama was even more astonishing, a deal between Malta and Spain! (the following also from Wiki):
In Group 7, The Netherlands thought they had done enough to qualify, given that their closest rivals Spain went into the very last match needing to beat Malta by eleven goals in order to qualify. And when Spain went in at half-time in Seville leading the Maltese minnows by a margin of only 3-1, the Dutch could have been forgiven for assuming they were home and dry. Spain, incredibly, then proceeded to score nine more goals in the second half, the last of them coming in the 86th minute from Juan Señor, to book an unlikely passage to the finals. UEFA has since changed its rules: all teams now play their final game at the exact same time and date, so that none of the teams has an advantage.

Group 7
Team                  Pts   Pld  W  D    L   GF  GA
Spain                   13   8     6  1    1   24   8
Netherlands           13   8    6   1    1   22   6
Republic of Ireland  9    8    4   1    3   20  10
Iceland                  3    8    1   1    6   3    13
Malta                     2    8    1    0   7   5    37

Group 7 matches:
June 5, 1982, Malta 2 - 1 Iceland
September 1, 1982, Iceland 1 - 1 Netherlands
September 22, 1982, Netherlands 2 - 1 Republic of Ireland
October 13, 1982, Republic of Ireland 2 - 0 Iceland
October 27, 1982, Spain 1 - 0 Iceland
November 17, 1982, Republic of Ireland 3 - 3 Spain
December 19, 1982, Malta 0 - 6 Netherlands
February 16, 1983, Spain 1 - 0 Netherlands
March 30, 1983, Malta 0 - 1 Republic of Ireland
April 27, 1983, Spain 2 - 0 Republic of Ireland
May 15, 1983, Malta 2 - 3 Spain
May 29, 1983, Iceland 0 - 1 Spain
June 5, 1983, Iceland 1 - 0 Malta
September 7, 1983, Netherlands 3 - 0 Iceland
September 21, 1983, Iceland 0 - 3 Republic of Ireland
October 12, 1983, Republic of Ireland 2 - 3 Netherlands
November 16, 1983, Netherlands 2 - 1 Spain
November 16, 1983, Republic of Ireland 8 - 0 Malta
December 17, 1983, Netherlands 5 - 0 Malta
December 21, 1983, Spain 12 - 1 Malta

That's an impressive score I don't think Spain have done anything like that in recent years.Look at Malta's last three games 1 scored 25 conceded.

SD93 said:
That's an impressive score I don't think Spain have done anything like that in recent years.Look at Malta's last three games 1 scored 25 conceded.

It looked very unreal, back then, and it still does, if you see those goals. Ah well, I had a great time watching Platini instead! :)

Forostar said:
First time no European Championships since 1984. Scotland has to beat Italy to qualify. I hope the Scots will succeed (man, I hate the Italian squad)!

Should I be a bastard and remind you about the last time England didn't qualify for the World Cup?  :innocent: Guess most people would have rated Norway 5th in that group ... behind Netherlands, England, Poland, Turkey and ahead of San Marino. This qual group must be one of the two biggest achievements for Norway in men's football ( together with the bronze medal in the 1936 Olympics).

I join you in hoping for Scottish success against Italy. Not only do I have a soft spot for the Scots in football, but Italy has actually been Norway's nemesis in all the three World Cups were we have participated.

1938, 1st round: Italy-Norway 2-1 after extra time - Norway had a goal dubiously disallowed for offside just before 90 minutes ...
1994, group stage: Italy-Norway 1-0, actually all teams in the group ended with 4 points and all had zero in goal difference. Norway went out with 1-1 total (Mexico had 3-3 and Italy and Ireland had 2-2). Dino Baggio scored the goal for Italy.
1998, 1/8 final: Italy-Norway 1-0, Vieri this time. Of course the Italians did not impress anyone, but managed to advance anyway. As usual.

C'mon Scotland!

Eddies Wingman said:
Should I be a bastard and remind you about the last time England didn't qualify for the World Cup?  :innocent:
No. Oh bugger, you have. :(

I remember this failure well, the quickly taken free-kick conceded by Des Walker that led to Norway's first goal in Oslo - Des was remonstrating with the ref rather than defending. This prompted Graham Taylor's most famous of all quotes:

GrahamTaylor said:
Do I not like that!

Then, Des Walker again was guilty of taking down Marc Overmars in the penalty area (tugging at his shirt) to allow the Dutch to equalise from the spot at Wembley. Had that game finished 2-1 to England, they would of most certainly qualified for '84 at the expense of the Dutch.

But I can't stay mad at Des Walker, he has been one of England's best defenders.

Eddies Wingman said:
I join you in hoping for Scottish success against Italy. Not only do I have a soft spot for the Scots in football, but Italy has actually been Norway's nemesis in all the three World Cups were we have participated.

Same here. I dislike Italy because they often defeated Holland in the past. Terrible football, great defence, great acting skills. It would be fantastic if the World Champion wouldn't make it to the next EC! :)

This happened only one time earlier in the history of football. The world champion of 1982 didn't qualify for the European Championships in 1984. Guess which country that was??? Yes! Italy! :)

I think if I had to dislike every country that beats Canada at football, I'd have to hate you all.

LooseCannon said:
I think if I had to dislike every country that beats Canada at football, I'd have to hate you all.

Now it's not as much about the country and people as it is about their national team. Actually I think Italians are nice people. At least most of them ( a majority of the Italians I know, are nice people  :) )

Time for some more news from Norwegian league football. SK Brann had the opportunity to secure the league title yesterday, in an away game against Aalesunds FK who are just about clear of relegation. It was an even match where Aalesund went up 2-0 before half an hour of play, Brann got a goal just before half time so it was 2-1 and everyone's game before the last 45. In the second half, Brann had several big chances to get the equalizer that would give them the title, but wasted them:

- After approx. 80 minutes, Brann's Ramiro Corrales came free to the line and managed to pass the ball into the danger area, another Brann player put it into the net - but the linesman signalized a goal kick. Replays showed that the ball was never out ...
- In the dying seconds of injury time, Brann got a free kick about 20 meters from the goal. Corrales took it and drove the ball into the post. The ball deflected off the goalkeeper and gave Erik Huseklepp of Brann a golden opportunity - incredibly he managed to hit the other post, and the ball bounced into the safe hands of Adin Brown (Aalesund's goalkeeper, yes).

Actually, the game was broadcasted not only on TV but on big screens in the centre of Bergen - I think you can see what kind of disappointment that was present there when the ref gave the final whistle ... It was the night when they expected to bring the gold home, but now they will have to wait for a decision. On Monday, Stabæk in 2nd place are playing against Viking (3rd) away. A home win or a draw will give Brann the title.

From the 1. div, I can mention that Molde FK are ready for promotion. They participated in the Champions League in the 1999-2000 season, but could only manage one win (3-2 against Olympiakos at home). When they went down last season, it was with a crash - their fate was sealed with an 8-0 (!) defeat against Stabæk.

Forostar said:
The Scotts f**ked up vs Georgia.  :S

Yeah !!! Thank you Georgia ! We'll see if Scotland has a great team or not when they'll play against Italy.

About Italian players-actors: have a look on portugeses and braziliand (Remember Rivaldo durind 2002 World Cup, match versus Turkey, if my remembers are good)

I would be sad if England didn't qualify for EC. The only team that never wonders during a matc, always thinking they're the best, english's flair I guess...

LooseCannon said:

I agree with you, there's no worst reason for hating a team...

Some more news from Tippeligaen, Norway.

Tonight Viking beat Stabæk 2-1 at home in Stavanger, this means Brann are league champions for the first time in 44 years. Congratulations! People in Bergen are of course out in the streets celebrating right now, as I write.

My team Fredrikstad FK beat Sandefjord 2-0 yesterday, it seems as we are steering towards something like 6th place. When the Norwegian league is finished in two weeks, it'll be some months with focus on English football for me ... Delighted with Manchester United's 4-1 win at Villa Park. Guess the game was nearly won at half time with 3-1 up. (Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch the game ...)

Grading Beckham's first MLS season
By Martin Rogers, Yahoo! Sports
October 22, 2007

Martin Rogers
Yahoo! Sports

BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. – David Beckham's first Major League Soccer season began with a blast of confetti, a series of speeches and irrepressible optimism amid a jostling scrum of international media on a sunny morning last July.

Season No. 1 ended on a windswept afternoon at Toyota Park on Sunday with a gnawing sense of what might have been for Beckham and the Los Angeles Galaxy. They now have a long offseason to reflect on what happened after failing to make the playoffs in a 1-0 loss to the Chicago Fire.

It's also time to analyze Beckham's impact since coming to MLS. The whirlwind period of his life saddled him with countless obstacles of a personal and professional nature, and it left him with an unforgettable experience as well as a sense of frustration.

"If David writes an autobiography at the end of his career, then this year will need to be a pretty big chapter," Galaxy president Alexi Lalas said.

ADVERTISEMENT
Lalas is right. From being hailed as the savior of North American soccer to being castigated for returning too slowly from injury in some quarters and attacked for coming back too quickly in others, from a glorious free kick in his competitive home debut to the shock of his father's life-threatening heart attack, Beckham has a hoard of mixed memories to store away from 2007.

So amid all the hype and headlines, what has Beckham done right and wrong since he was swapped from Real Madrid's Galacticos to the Galaxy? Here's the report card.

FINANCIAL IMPACT

Beckham spent most of the season sidelined through injury, but his arrival has given MLS the kind of publicity it could only previously have dreamed about.

Matches are now broadcast internationally and crowds have flocked to see the Galaxy, even for matches in which Beckham was ruled out. Also, other high-profile stars in Europe (namely Thierry Henry and Luis Figo) are considering MLS as a realistic option for a change of scenery.

The increased interest has hardened league commissioner Don Garber's resolve to push ahead with bold expansion plans, with at least three more franchises likely to be in operation by 2010.

Grade: A

ON-FIELD PERFORMANCE

Beckham's few performances were generally good, but they weren't among his best, giving his critics ammunition to attack him. Only time will tell whether his injury problems were responsible for a downturn in form or whether his best days really are behind him.

In Sunday's loss to Chicago, Beckham's lack of match practice meant he was restricted to half-an-hour of action, but in that time he provided the Galaxy with their first meaningful attacking moves of the game and gave a tantalizing glimpse of what he is capable of. The scheduled exhibition matches this winter will provide extra opportunity for him to develop a chemistry with his teammates. A full preseason should ensure greater cohesion in 2008, too.

Signing Beckham was a no-brainer. It took him just weeks to "pay back" his $6.5 million salary with shirt and ticket sales, and his popularity helped turn the Galaxy into a globally-recognized brand. Yet the organization also wants to be seen as winners. Failing to finish in the top eight of a 13-team league will not get that done.

Grade: B

RESPONSIBILITY

It is hard to attack someone for wanting to please the public and being desperate to justify his salary. But Beckham, despite all the external pressures heaped upon him, should have resisted the temptation to dive back into action before he was fully healthy earlier in the season.

Playing for England and the Galaxy on consecutive days, on opposite sides of the world, was nothing short of foolhardy. Also, his fierce challenge in the SuperLiga final was an example of enthusiasm, and it cost him a damaged knee and six weeks of rehab.

There are signs Beckham is starting to realize he is not invincible. On Sunday, he pulled out of a potentially dangerous challenge against the Fire that was not glamorous or inspiring, but it was, in the circumstances, sensible.

Grade: C-minus

HEALTH

Beckham's left ankle was still smarting when he landed at LAX before hooking up with his news teammates for the first time. The ankle, which had been significantly worsened by playing on it with cortisone injections in his last game in Spain, was exacerbated further by a dreadful challenge by Chelsea's Steve Sidwell in the final minute of an exhibition game.

Once that had cleared, it would surely all be smooth sailing. But then, the injury curse struck once more in the SuperLiga final on August 29. This time it was the right knee and a layoff of six weeks before returning as a sub in the Galaxy's final two games.

Grade: D

In a summer in which American sports was marred by revelations of Michael Vick's streak of evil, Barry Bonds' allegedly tainted record-breaking and the ugly saga of Tim Donaghy, Beckham was a breath of fresh air.

Humble and polite in his public appearances, charitable and good with children, he sent out the message that in the U.S. at least soccer really is a family sport. As an icon for the sport and a role model for youngsters, he fulfilled every part of his duty.

Grade: A

OVERALL

The positive aspects of Beckham's arrival outweigh any negatives, but to give him too high a mark would ignore the fact that there is considerable room for improvement.

If he can get up to full physical and match fitness at the start of next season, produce the sort of form he showed at the end of his stay at Real Madrid and inspire the Galaxy to a big season in 2008, he will have accomplished his mission. If that is demanding too much of the man, then it is only because he demands the best from himself – and because he has shown time and again that he is capable of handling the weight of such expectations.

More than anything, he and the Galaxy just need a full season of action out of him. That would provide him the opportunity to really make his mark on the team.

Grade: B-minus

http://sports.yahoo.com/mls/news?slug=ro-beckham102207&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

The matter is not Beckham, it's his wife but everybody knows that.

One other comment : Platini's fooling himself by forgetting the U.S, he only cares about integration of East Europ in the Champion's League...

And I don't believe that a player like Thierry Henry is looking for going in an american's team, at least, not before he has for only alternative to choose between USA and Qatar...

Thanks to american "journalists" who always learn us new words (had the impression to read Frenglish)

Rosenborg is not the same team from weekend to mid-week. The same team who beat Valencia 2-0 tonight, lost 4-1 in the league on last Sunday. I watched the game with a Rosenborg fan, before the game he was badmouthing all their defenders and wanted the club to replace them - one hour later he seemed to think Rosenborg's back four should also be Norway's back four. Even though the left back is Swedish ...

porcnoz said:
The matter is not Beckham, it's his wife but everybody knows that.

One other comment : Platini's fooling himself by forgetting the U.S, he only cares about integration of East Europ in the Champion's League...

And I don't believe that a player like Thierry Henry is looking for going in an american's team, at least, not before he has for only alternative to choose between USA and Qatar...

Thanks to american "journalists" who always learn us new words (had the impression to read Frenglish)

You're right, the issue isn't Beckham, it is the MLS. Every other sport in the U.S (Baseball, Basketball, Hockey and American Football) attract the BEST players from the rest of the world (Nash is Canadian, Dirkwitz (sp? lol) is German for the NBA, Baseball is FULL of Hispanics, specially Dominicans, the NHL has it's share of ELITE Europeans), while the MLS attracts aging stars and has-beens... Until the MLS can attract international stars at the top of their game, then it will become a relevant league.

A very entertaining game between Man Utd and Arsenal today ... Even I, a United fan, enjoyed not only what United produced of good attacking football, but also what Arsenal did. Honestly, Arsenal made most of the entertainment except for the last 20 minutes where United seemed to be in full control. Until Arsenal managed to mobilize for a final strike ... A win here would have been so sweet ... but a draw at the Emirates Stadium (blah, what a name of a football ground) is not a bad result. Now it's about keeping up the good form and getting back to form the players who return from injuries (Carrick, Saha, hopefully Neville soon ...)

In Norway, the league season was finished today and my team Fredrikstad did not impress a lot. We lost 2-0 away to Odd Grenland who actually had to win to have any hope of avoiding relegation. They did actually, because Start who were two points clear before the final round managed to lose 4-1. Seriously - they needed to win, they played a team with absolutely nothing to play for, and they lost 4-1? That sounds like a deserved relegation to me.

And I bet you got that match without having to pay an extortionate amount of money to old Rupert! I would say that this result favours no side - Man U lost the points with seconds to go, but Arsenal dropped valuable home points. Perhaps it may help Chelsea whilst they silently gain some ground.

However, this is the most pleasing of results today. Once again, Southend's away form is telling. 5 games unbeaten on the road. They need to get some good results at Roots Hall to really challenge for automatic promotion - but still keeping up this good away form. :D

I heard that Van der Sar was very good today! (didn't see it)

Eddies Wingman said:
Rosenborg is not the same team from weekend to mid-week. The same team who beat Valencia 2-0 tonight, lost 4-1 in the league on last Sunday.

Dutch coach Ronald Koeman left PSV and is now the new coach of Valencia! I'm curious how Valencia's next CL-match vs Rosenborg will be!

It is rumoured that Martin Jol (who had to leave Tottenham recently) will follow up Koeman @ PSV.

BTW: PSV lost their first match of the season, which is good for Feyenoord! :)

Van Der Sar didn't have an awful lot to do. I felt Arsenal's defence was quite shaky and they looked quite vulnerable from set pieces. Man United had a really solid defence in the first half but there were a few holes towards the end of the game. Inspite of being an Arsenal fan, I can appreciate how Man United played  :lol:

I would have liked it if Eduardo started instead of Adebayor, He seemed a little lost in the game. I really like how Cristiano Ronaldo was silenced by the Arsenal midfield, apart from the goal  :mad:

Overall a good result, but Chelsea is only getting closer  :S

Back