Official Football Thread

Genghis Khan said:
I think the Croatian gov't should start banning those people making racist remarks.  It is the only way to stop it.

How would this be possible?

"Hi, have you ever said a racist remark at a football game?"
"Of course not."
"Come on in!"
"Stupid --------."

national acrobat said:
The Goon Army are in a right old state at Sid James Park. (sorry RW)
There was a somewhat distasteful rumour that did the rounds the other day that Paul Gascoigne had hung himself. This prompted his infamous mate - Jimmy five bellies - to state that he was fit and well. "He is looking great at the moment and, in fact, he could play for Newcastle and do a better job than they are doing right now." he went on to say. :D

Genghis Khan said:
Not without video cameras.

To explain more of what I mean, I'll use an example.  Back when Poland had a black player on their national team, some fans chanted the typically crude "monkey" chants and threw bananas on the field.  That's pretty easy to catch if cameras are available.  Of course, not all racists acts are than plain, but when you start to punish "fans" like that with permanent bans, most will think twice before voicing their racist opinions on the football stands.

@ Albie & NA:  How exactly did England help curb the country's football hooliganism.  My understanding is that threats of permanent bans by the Queen helped.  I realize racism wasn't an issue, but bad behaviour is bad behaviour.

Genghis Khan said:
@ Albie & NA:  How exactly did England help curb the country's football hooliganism.  My understanding is that threats of permanent bans by the Queen helped.  I realize racism wasn't an issue, but bad behaviour is bad behaviour.
It's still not totally eradicated. We very rarely have trouble in the stadiums any more - and yes this was partly down to lifetime bans but also the Police seem to be able to be able to quash any such behaviour.

The choice I have for live games?

Arsenal v Porto, or AaB Aalborg v Man U.

No idea yet who to choose.

Forostar said:
Tomorrow ass-kick-time. Liverpool - PSV (jaaaiks!)
Yep, in Liverpool's current for PSV could be in for a bit of a beating. ;)

Albie said:
It's still not totally eradicated. We very rarely have trouble in the stadiums any more - and yes this was partly down to lifetime bans but also the Police seem to be able to be able to quash any such behaviour.

Total eradication is probably naive, but still a major improvement.  Other countries should take notice.

Thanks for the answer.

Group A:          Group B:        Group C:     
Schalke 04        Benfica           Sevilla     
Paris SG           Olympiakos      VfB Stuttgart
Manchester C    Galatasaray     Sampdoria   
Santander        Hertha BSC      Partizan Bel.
FC Twente      Met.Charkov     Standard Luik

Group D:         Group E:          Group F:     
Tottenham H   AC Milan           Hamburger SV
Spart.Moskou  Heerenveen       Ajax          
Udinese          Sport.Braga       Slavia Praag
Din.Zagreb      Portsmouth        Aston Villa 
NEC               Wolfsburg          MSK Zilina

Group G:     Group H:     
Valencia      CSKA Moskou         
Club Brugge  Dep.Coruña           
Rosenborg    Feyenoord          
Kopenhagen   Nancy       
St.Etienne    Lech Poznan

A bit of national pride here (sorry guys ;) ):

While PSV is doing crap in the CL, the Netherlands still have 5(!) teams left in this stage of the UEFA-cup. I don't remember the last time when this happened, if it ever did. Germany also 5.

@EW: Rosenborg -> no Germans, no Dutchies! ;)

Anyway, for the rest of the tournement I should keep my expectations low. Especially Ajax and Feyenoord are doing really bad in the Dutch competition.

Feyenoord ban Uefa travellers

I have a friend who was at the match mentioned in the link...he said it was quite a memorable experience!

feyenoord.jpg

Nothing was wrong during the match. Some idiots outside the stadium (in the centre) did this, and spoilt it for the club. And it could happen again. :/

Scotland-Norway 0-0. I was not really surprised by this - both teams had plenty to lose today and that showed in how they played. In the first half, both teams seemed more focused on keeping a clean sheet than going for the win. Norway were the better team in the first half, but only by a small margin. A couple of chances but nothing big.

The second half was another story - the Scots were more determined and put us under a lot of pressure. We got a couple of good breakaways, though, and both teams had great chances to score. Actually, both teams had chances that really, really should've been goals. But after all, a draw was a fair result and not really bad for either team. I think we (Norway) are in the lead in the race for 2nd, as we have dropped 2 against Iceland whereas Scotland have dropped 3 against FYROM. Of course, should we beat Holland on Wednesday we should not give up on 1st either, but I don't see that coming. The Dutch have seemed to be comfortable, although not in top form, so far. We're in for a tough game on Wednesday.

(If we go by my personal stats when attending Norway games, it should be a draw. I've been to two national team matches before, both qualifiers, and both ended in draws).

Other results that I would interesting:
Croatia vs Ukraine  0:0 (Too bad Croatia really needed this win.  At the end of the qualifying, games like this will be costly).
Italy vs Bulgaria 0:0

and the most surprising:
Faroe Islands v Austria 1:1 (Is this their first tie?)

Genghis Khan said:
Other results that I would interesting:
Croatia vs Ukraine  0:0 (Too bad Croatia really needed this win.  At the end of the qualifying, games like this will be costly).
Italy vs Bulgaria 0:0

and the most surprising:
Faroe Islands v Austria 1:1 (Is this their first tie?)

Looks like England are in the driving seat of your group now, Genghis. But you can trust them to get a couple of lousy results from the remaining games.

As for the Faroe Islands, they have gotten draws from time to time. Mostly against other small nations like Cyprus, Andorra, Malta and so on. 1-1 against Austria is one for the books, though ...

Eddies Wingman said:
Looks like England are in the driving seat of your group now, Genghis. But you can trust them to get a couple of lousy results from the remaining games.

As for the Faroe Islands, they have gotten draws from time to time. Mostly against other small nations like Cyprus, Andorra, Malta and so on. 1-1 against Austria is one for the books, though ...

I seem to remember a 2-2 between Faroe Islands and Scotland a couple of years ago too.

I saw the highlights of Scotland-Norway (having a good laugh at that miss); Norway could have had a few if Carew had his shooting boots on.

England are looking very decent and I can't see the lousy results coming; the hardest game will be Ukraine away as they're looking quite good.

national acrobat said:
England are looking very decent and I can't see the lousy results coming; the hardest game will be Ukraine away as they're looking quite good.
Which is England's penultimate game - and hopefully (I say hopefully) they should have qualification sorted by then.

Some things I've noticed about the UEFA qualifications.

1.  Group 3: Slav matches: Poland, Slovenia, Czech Rep. and Slovakia seem a tight race as the winners lose the next time around.

Slovenia 2: 1 Slovakia
Poland 2: 1 Czech Rep.
Czech Rep. 1: 0 Slovenia
Slovakia 2:1 Poland

2. France really sucks.

3. England is one of the best teams, at least right now.

4. Portugal is nowhere without the leadership of Figo and Scolari.

Back