Official Football Thread

There are games played in Ottawa, and I am going to see if any tickets are available. Sadly Canada, who has the best female player in the world, does not play here.

Dumb move. Ancelotti is not the reason Real couldn't win anything this season. In fact, he's the reason why they looked as powerful as they did. He managed to keep their defense respectable despite having no holding midfielders.

They're gonna hire Rafa Benitez, too. Watch Real concede gazillion goals next season.

They need a DM more. Coquelin rose to the occasion, but they still need another one (Flamini and Arteta are not good enough anymore).

Mikel Arteta has never been a good defensive midfielder and was never bought as one. He was a panic buy after Wenger forgot to replace Fabregas. Arteta has never been good enough to be part of the kind of team Arsenal should have had for the past few seasons.

I agree with BW on Arteta. Flamini has never been a good CDM anyway, he's just a fierce guy that gives it his all. Coquelin was great this season. I'd like to bring in Morgan Schneiderlin but if we splash for Vidal I'm fine with Coquelin staying there.

I very much doubt Arsene Wenger would be interested in a classic holding midfielder. He never has been. Schneiderlin makes the most sense in his vision.

It's not just about corruption, it's more about doing something about it.
I still have tiny hope that the World Cups (if fraud was involved) will still be appointed to other places.

Still have tiny hope that the World Cups (if fraud was involved) will still be appointed to other places.
0 chance of this. Even if so appointed, the people the UAE have murdered to build their stadiums remain dead. This is about making sure the 2026 World Cup isn't assigned to IS or something equally foolish and corrupt.

Good effort from Dnipro. I was cheering for them to win but oh well. When Sevilla wins, they win it two times in a row, it seems.

Generally do not care about soccer ... but

It’s an unexpected end for Blazer, who operated with high-flying impunity for decades, inhabiting a world of private jets, famous friends, secret island getaways, offshore bank accounts and two Trump Tower apartments with sweeping views of Central Park and the crenellations of The Plaza hotel.

CONCACAF’s offices took up the entire 17th floor, but Blazer often worked from two apartments where he lived on the 49th floor in $18,000-per-month digs for himself and an adjoining $6,000 retreat largely for his unruly cats, according to a source.

From The Onion :)

ZURICH—After the Justice Department indicted numerous executives from world soccer’s governing body on charges of corruption and bribery, frantic and visibly nervous officials from FIFA held an impromptu press conference Wednesday to announce that the United States has been selected to host this summer’s 2015 World Cup. “We are thrilled to reveal that, for the first time in 21 years, the World Cup will finally return to America, with matches set to kick off today at 5 p.m. local time in Los Angeles,” said FIFA president Sepp Blatter, smiling broadly before unveiling the tournament’s official logo, a hand-drawn stick figure kicking a soccer ball with “USA 2015!” hastily scribbled in black marker above its head. “With world-class venues in cities across the country and a rapidly growing passion for the sport, the U.S. is the perfect choice—really the only choice—for this summer’s tournament. Everyone at FIFA is certain that the 2015 World Cup in America will be a tremendous success, and billions of fans from around the world will, in just a few hours, come together to enjoy this wonderful display of soccer over the coming weeks.” At press time, the U.S. national team was leading defending champions Germany in the World Cup’s opening match after being awarded 12 penalties in the game’s first three minutes.

Back