Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
I think far too many handballs are given in general. The rule is intended to punish those who deliberately use their hands - like the two Serbs.

I think it is also quite harsh to say that the striker should have the benefit of the doubt. In offside situations, of course. But I think the offender should have the benefit of the doubt, regardless if he is in the attacking team or the defending one.

You know what, it is quite possible that his arm moved as a result of the hit his shoulder got hit.  I'll have to review the footage again, but the ref does not have that benefit.  Still we agree that the red card here is a bad call.

LooseCannon said:
Now, I read that they recently changed the offside rule to favour the striker a bit more, is this true?

Well, I think now you have to be considered as an active part in play when you are in an offside position, for the ref to take action. This means that if you are offside and the ball is played to a team-mate, you are not flagged off, and the attack may continue.

WOW! Great save there by Schwarzer!

I was hoping for Australia to pull off an upset. I can't watch every second because I am at work sadly.

Having reviewed that red card footage, I think a penalty is well deserved.  The defender lifted his arm prior to the ball hitting him.  Still, a yellow would have been sufficient.  It's too much to play with 10 men for so long.  The commentators back at the broadcasting desk did not speak of any miscall in this incident. 

It looked like it hit his upper arm first. I am assuming that is still intentional, even though I don't think he could have moved his arm out of the way?

A little bit of silver lining for us English; today England beat Australia in rugby at the scene of their 2003 world cup triumph in Sydney. England's first meaningful victory since Martin Johnson took over as manager. The turning point for them perhaps?

About Kewell's handball, he was on the line and it was handball all day long. I don't think the ref had much choice but to red card him.

CBC sports here just showed last World Cup game between Croatia and Australia when the Croat Simunic received 3 yellows by ref Poll and still did not leave the field at once.  Classic!  :D

From wiki:
"Upon the release of his autobiography in 2007, Poll revealed that, upon booking Šimunić for the second time, he had erroneously recorded him as "Australia  #3" (who was defender Craig Moore), due to Šimunić's Australian accent."

Albie said:
About Kewell's handball, he was on the line and it was handball all day long. I don't think the ref had much choice but to red card him.

I still don't think it looked intentional, but as you say - he was on the line. If the ref thinks it is a punishable handball, he simply is not allowed to show the yellow. I mean, if you prevent a goal by some illegal measure, then it's a red card, no matter how strict it may seem.

Genghis Khan said:
CBC sports here just showed last World Cup game between Croatia and Australia when the Croat Simunic received 3 yellows by ref Poll and still did not leave the field at once.  Classic!  :D

From wiki:
"Upon the release of his autobiography in 2007, Poll revealed that, upon booking Šimunić for the second time, he had erroneously recorded him as "Australia  #3" (who was defender Craig Moore), due to Šimunić's Australian accent."

Hilarious!! That is pretty funny.

Albie said:

I can see the point.  It would be hard to objectively differentiate between the Serbian hand ball and this one, in terms of intent and he did effectively stop the ball going into the net.

Eddies Wingman said:
I mean, if you prevent a goal by some illegal measure, then it's a red card, no matter how strict it may seem.
Coupled with the fact that FIFA has probably laid down some strict guidelines for refs to follow - no doubt.

Speaking of which, I think the ref in the Slovenia-USA game will also get the green light to referee in this World Cup.  The ref blew the whistle early so it wasn't like he was deliberately screwing USA.  All he needs to say is that he saw some blue shirts pulling on white shirts.

Yeah, but I saw many more fouls by Slovenians. I don't feel he was screwing the USA, but the USA got screwed. If that makes sense.

Watching CBC replays, as stated last night, I saw no USA players doing any shirt pulling.  Only the Slovenian side was guilty of that.  But who knows what the ref's POV was.  Not having any instant replays make this game quite subjective in times like those, especially when the decision by the ref needs to be near instantaneous.  So yeah, I know what you mean.

Genghis Khan said:
Watching CBC replays, as stated last night, I saw no USA players doing any shirt pulling.  Only the Slovenian side was guilty of that.  But who knows what the ref's POV was.  Not having any instant replays make this game quite subjective in times like those, especially when the decision by the ref needs to be near instantaneous.  So yeah, I know what you mean.
It makes you appreciate a goal review in the NHL a little, I think the World Cup could benefit from that sort of play; or perhaps, 2 referees instead of just one.

LooseCannon said:
It makes you appreciate a goal review in the NHL a little, I think the World Cup could benefit from that sort of play; or perhaps, 2 referees instead of just one.

True.  This discussion always resurfaces here.  But FIFA is too traditional for that.

As I type this, both sides had great missed opportunities.

Back