NWOBHM Week on Maidenfans (Sep 28 - Oct 3, 2009)

Who shall we discuss next week?

• Children Of Bodom (Perun)

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Alice Cooper (LC)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Classical/rock hybrids (Onhell)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Eddies Wingman said:
I wasn't suggesting that Priest was a NWOBHM band as such....
Sorry, it wasn't directed at you but I was pointing out that both Priest and Motorhead were incorrectly tagged as NWOBHM. I can see what you are trying to say in as much that British Steel could be lumped in as a NWOBHM album, but as Perun said it was an era that came about after the demise of Punk. Both Priest and Motorhead were performing on Top of the Pops alongside Sex Pistols and The Damned - and as such, they co-existed. By the time Maiden had got on TotP, Sid Vicious was dead and Captain Sensible was about to go all Happy Talk. :D

Whether you guys like some pointless trivia or not, I shall give you some: The song Calling for You by Persian Risk was written by the guitarist (I think it was he) whilst recovering in hospital after a very serious road accident. I can't back this claim up with a link as I read it f'ing years ago in Kerrang (or Sounds).

Perun said:
Okay, Quartz may be a bit borderline, but there is no clear distinction. Maiden started out in 1975, just about the same time as Quartz did- the only difference is that Quartz got a record deal earlier. I always saw them as pioneers of the wave.

I see your point.
My point : Burning Ambition which was written in 1975 I think (don't know when it was recorded though)
has a clearly NWOBHM sound that no Quartz song has -at least from their deput LP

I see Quartz as a very rare diamond in the metal collection, a group that should be known, at least.
Also as a goup that is very difficult to be classed in a category -and that's so nice from one point.

The most important : I had totally forgoten this excellent group, many thanks for the reminder  :)
Be praised!

What about Picture (Holland's first real heavy metal band)? Less known but I guess they fit in the "picture".

Heavy Metal Ears
Unemployed
Eternal Dark

some more wiki info:
Formed in 1979, they were especially popular in the Netherlands, Germany (come on Per! :) ) and Italy for their live performances. They still have a huge fan base in South America, Mexico and Japan.

Picture supported AC/DC, Ted Nugent and Saxon in the Netherlands. With Saxon, they did a full European tour in 1981. Later on they toured with Rose Tattoo in Germany and headlined tours in Italy and Israel.

Strictly speaking, bands were classed as NWOBHM purely based on the country of origin rather than anything else. It wasn't really a sound but more a movement.

Now here's a question. Judas Priest might not have been NWOBHM, but they were definitely Metal. Motorhead, however, are they like AC/DC where people continually lump them in as Metal (along with Led Zep at times) while in reality they are Hard Rock? Most of the 70's groups were still Hard Rock (Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zep... etc.) with only Sabbath (that I know of) not only being called, but considered themselves "Metal." Yes? No? Maybe so?

And thanks for the list of bands, I got some shopping to do!

Hard Rock, Metal... this is something people keep arguing about.

Let's put this straight: Bands like Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy or UFO were called heavy metal back in the 70's. That is why the movement was called the New Wave of British Heavy Metal: To distinguish it from 70's metal. Since this era marked the blending of 70's heavy metal with punk, I can accept that pre-NWoBHM metal is called hard rock, and the later stuff is called heavy metal. But keep in mind that this is our view on it; not that of the 70's, nor that of the early 80's.

As for bands like Motörhead or AC/DC, why don't you make your own mind up on that? There are about as many arguments for them being called heavy metal as there are against it. Some people believe that there are clear definitions for what is heavy metal and what is hard rock: There aren't. Music can't be put into little boxes.

I personally don't waste too much thought on it. I guess I'd say that Motörhead is heavy metal and AC/DC is hard rock, but there are enough people who'd crucify me for that view. I don't care, though.

Forostar said:
Like Per and no_5 I recommend White Spirit very, very much! Please check out the Janick topic on this forum for more info. (don't miss some classic thousand_suns posts!)

If you don't want to read that whole topic -> Here the best song Janick has ever played on (perhaps even Maiden included): Awesome, epic stuff. Great melodies, lyrics and emotion:

Fool For The Gods (1980)

Absolutely check it out if you haven't done that before!

The beginning sounds like Pink Floyd a la SOYCD.  First impressions: not a bad song, but did not capture my interest.

I know we're not suppoesed to talk about Maiden in this thread, but I have a small question. When we're talking about Maiden in the NWoBHM wave, are we only talking about the first two albums?

Difficult question. I'd say we're talking about the first three albums, because they started being recognised as a real international act with the World Piece Tour.

Perun said:
Hard Rock, Metal... this is something people keep arguing about...
As for bands like Motörhead or AC/DC, why don't you make your own mind up on that?

Dude, simple question no need to get all preachy, gees. Anyway I HAVE made my own mind up, I was merely seeking the opinion of someone who supposedly knows more than me, that's it.

Perun said:
Hard Rock, Metal... this is something people keep arguing about.

Let's put this straight: Bands like Deep Purple, Blue Öyster Cult, Rainbow, Thin Lizzy or UFO were called heavy metal back in the 70's. That is why the movement was called the New Wave of British Heavy Metal: To distinguish it from 70's metal. Since this era marked the blending of 70's heavy metal with punk, I can accept that pre-NWoBHM metal is called hard rock, and the later stuff is called heavy metal. But keep in mind that this is our view on it; not that of the 70's, nor that of the early 80's.

As for bands like Motörhead or AC/DC, why don't you make your own mind up on that? There are about as many arguments for them being called heavy metal as there are against it. Some people believe that there are clear definitions for what is heavy metal and what is hard rock: There aren't. Music can't be put into little boxes.

I personally don't waste too much thought on it. I guess I'd say that Motörhead is heavy metal and AC/DC is hard rock, but there are enough people who'd crucify me for that view. I don't care, though.

In response to this very dilemma, I came up with a new genre name a few weeks ago and started tagging my songs that way... HEAVY ROCK. All the bands from the 70s which straddled the heavy metal / hard rock line.

So the way I call it:

Hard rock
  • Lyrics about girls, parties, girls, cars, girls, rock'n'roll, and did I mention girls?
  • Music influenced by the blues, in some cases very strongly. Simpler songs.
  • AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, Van Halen, etc.

Heavy rock
  • Lyrics about a wider range of subjects, but still a notable amount of girl/party songs ...  for every Stargazer there's a Starstruck.
  • Blues influence still prevalent, though some bands start using classical influences. Songs often more complex than hard rock.
  • Deep Purple, UFO, Rainbow, early Scorpions, BOC

Reumeren said:
I know we're not suppoesed to talk about Maiden in this thread, but I have a small question. When we're talking about Maiden in the NWoBHM wave, are we only talking about the first two albums?

I'd say the first 2 albums. I always like to think that NWOBHM ended (or became of less significance) when Bruce left Samson: 1981.

Onhell said:
Dude, simple question no need to get all preachy, gees. Anyway I HAVE made my own mind up, I was merely seeking the opinion of someone who supposedly knows more than me, that's it.

No need to get pissy either. I only said there is no answer to that question and explained why. ;)

Hard Rock/Heavy Rock/Metal - I think SMX summed it up quite nicely.

Yesterday, I had a listen to the latest Tygers of Pan Tang release - Animal Instinct. I have to say, on first listen it sounds OK, but I reckon it's the sort of album that will be easily forgotten about by me in a few months from now.

SinisterMinisterX said:
In response to this very dilemma, I came up with a new genre name a few weeks ago and started tagging my songs that way... HEAVY ROCK. All the bands from the 70s which straddled the heavy metal / hard rock line.

So the way I call it:

Hard rock
  • Lyrics about girls, parties, girls, cars, girls, rock'n'roll, and did I mention girls?
  • Music influenced by the blues, in some cases very strongly. Simpler songs.
  • AC/DC, Aerosmith, Kiss, Van Halen, etc.

Heavy rock
  • Lyrics about a wider range of subjects, but still a notable amount of girl/party songs ...  for every Stargazer there's a Starstruck.
  • Blues influence still prevalent, though some bands start using classical influences. Songs often more complex than hard rock.
  • Deep Purple, UFO, Rainbow, early Scorpions, BOC

I agree with this in general, but even hard rock has some songs that are not associated with the "sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll" aspect.  For example, Aerosmith songs 'Voodoo Medicine Man', 'Lightning Strikes' and 'Nobody's Fault' while still heavily influenced by blues have serious subject matter, man's destruction of earth, street gangs and earthquakes respectively.  So there can be a cross-over in some aspects, in this case a lyrical one.

Perun said:
Difficult question. I'd say we're talking about the first three albums, because they started being recognised as a real international act with the World Piece Tour.

It's question of getting out of the shadow so?
I'm more focused on sound, so I'd say the first 2 albums.

NWOBHM Week on Maidenfans Sep 28 Oct 3 2009

Hi everybody

i be growing 20 regulars nebula in the space of picture. I now the N affects the final sex, and the ºF and humidity the same, but i dont now about the "stress" in  little space from the 2º week  or -. Im worried about ratio male/female.
some answer??

Thanks

Come on, online translators? Even spambots aren't what they used to be.

Back