Now Writing

I haven't been writing as of late. Well.... anything in terms of fiction/personal. I'm currently writing an application to a Masters program and I have to write a 1500 word statement as to what my purpose is in studying the program. Not a daunting task in and of itself, but tedious nontheless. I simply have to extend "Cuz I wants more money, yo!" into 1500 ten dollar words lol.

Good luck with that.

Hearing to what lengths other people have to go to apply for a study program, I feel bad. My application for my MA literally went like this: I rang up my former BA supervisor two weeks after application deadline (I had been hoping for something else that didn't end up materialising) and asked, "Hi, what's up? You guys still take people for the MA?" Answer, "sure, you're the first one this semester".

That's why I've been debating what to publish first. my Chaucer-esque stories on life and love, my thoughts on myths and legends and their deeper psychological/social ramifications, or a collection of my "best of" Dream Killing lol.
I suggest you merge best of Dream Killing with the Chauceresque stuff. Actually the myths & legends thoughts could get inside as well, the 'people-meet-and-tell-stories' format permits putting practically anything inside.
Even your laundry list, come to think of it.

Mr Poo and His Magic Button

(text for a picture book)

(imagine the pictures yourself)​

This is Mr Poo.

Mr Poo has a magic button.

Mr Poo’s magic button can solve problems.

These are some problems it can solve:

- Global warming.

- Overpopulation.

- Inequality.

- COVID-19 pandemic.

People should really love Mr Poo and his magic button.

But do they?

No, they don’t.

Do they think he is a hero?

No, they think he is a lunatic and a criminal.

Life is not fair.

And yet it is.

Mr Poo and His Magic Button

(text for a picture book)

(imagine the pictures yourself)​

This is Mr Poo.

Mr Poo has a magic button.

Mr Poo’s magic button can solve problems.

These are some problems it can solve:

- Global warming.

- Overpopulation.

- Inequality.

- COVID-19 pandemic.

People should really love Mr Poo and his magic button.

But do they?

No, they don’t.

Do they think he is a hero?

No, they think he is a lunatic and a criminal.

Life is not fair.

And yet it is.

I love it

I didn’t know we had this thread, kudos.

A couple of years ago I wrote 100,000 words of my sci-fi novel ‘12 Tales of Unreality’ set in the last city on earth at the end of time. But then I had kids, half arsed the ending and I haven’t looked at it since. One day I shall return to it I hope but I feel like such a different person I’m kind of worried that I’ll hate everything I’ve written or be so critical that I essentially dismiss it.

Still I cannot deny how exciting it was to be in the middle of a typing frenzy with ideas zipping about. Writing is a joy

I attempted writing about 20 years ago, a historical novel, but while I had lots of ideas and images in mind, had absolutely no creative writing skill at all. :bigsmile: I can write news and that's it, it seems.

And yes. If you go back to old writing, you'll immediately see flaws in it. Maybe if you've developed your style of written expression further since then, you could take some of the raw ideas and sentiments that were good, and rewrite it?

I attempted writing about 20 years ago, a historical novel, but while I had lots of ideas and images in mind, had absolutely no creative writing skill at all. :bigsmile: I can write news and that's it, it seems.

And yes. If you go back to old writing, you'll immediately see flaws in it. Maybe if you've developed your style of written expression further since then, you could take some of the raw ideas and sentiments that were good, and rewrite it?

I think if anything I’ve regressed creatively, but I do owe it to myself to have another look at it one day. There’s so much of me in it from a certain period in my life that it would be sad to never cast an eye over it again

Here's a radical idea - could you use the original ideas and sentiments for something completely different, like music or visual art?

Here's a radical idea - could you use the original ideas and sentiments for something completely different, like music or visual art?

That’s a great idea but I have no skill in those areas sadly. I can write a little and turn a phrase, but I can’t play an instrument and I’m not arty.

It would make a decent concept album I think. 12 different characters, 12 points of view, all headed towards the same cataclysm. 12 songs would suit it nicely. But that’s outside of my skill set. Still I’m sure I will come back to it one day. Round out the ending and even out the individual characters. I’m still proud of it, unfinished or not, it took dedication to do it even if I’m not ultimately satisfied with it.

That’s a great idea but I have no skill in those areas sadly. I can write a little and turn a phrase, but I can’t play an instrument and I’m not arty.

It would make a decent concept album I think. 12 different characters, 12 points of view, all headed towards the same cataclysm. 12 songs would suit it nicely. But that’s outside of my skill set. Still I’m sure I will come back to it one day. Round out the ending and even out the individual characters. I’m still proud of it, unfinished or not, it took dedication to do it even if I’m not ultimately satisfied with it.
I´m sure Arjen Lucassen could use this story for a scifi concept album.
What about a graphic novel in 12 issues?

Wars of the Roses era, but told more from an everyday life perspective in a small gentry household and based around characters within that family, so busting lots of naff stereotypes about medieval life

Super interesting stuff, trying to figure out every small detail of the every day life, i.e. how they were storing /preserving their food, what food, how they were getting the water, how often, did the windows had glasses, did they rent their houses or owned? what the cost to build, how long? how they light their way on the streets /inside home, bath, how often?, toilet, where?, how they were learning to read, did they have IDs, were any bookstores, what were the stores of the time? and what about banks? And so on..
This is the essence of the history: trying to figure out the everyday life of the simple people in a given era.

Well this was gentry, not common folk, but yes, I have a reasonably good idea about everyday routines, sights, sounds and smells, thanks to a tonne of research, experimental archaeology and historical living history experiences. Assigning attitudes and ways of thinking is the hardest part, the nuts and bolts of everyday life leave a lot of physical evidence.

I´m sure Arjen Lucassen could use this story for a scifi concept album.
What about a graphic novel in 12 issues?

That would work as there are 12 different characters/ viewpoints, though the way it’s written would make it difficult to segment into 12 individual stories/ issues

Now I am writing this. Text is google translated to English.

Someone was crying in the darkness. In the tunnels of the mines, the sound traveled far, and as it echoed off the walls, it turned into a shriek, a terrifying giggle that sent shivers down the spine.

Morley was a dwarf and didn't know much about shivers, so he pretended that the sound coming from the nearest side tunnel didn't scare him at all. Only the hair of the beard bristled up for some reason. Fortunately, the candles propped on the ledge of the helmet hadn't burned out yet, let alone the lantern dangling near his shoulder, which hung from the beak of a pickaxe protruding from his knapsack.

Morley stopped, picked up the lantern and held it up in front of him. The tunnel was like a tunnel, only stones and rough walls in front. The only problem is that the cry was coming from exactly where he was being chased by today's destination. Maybe there's just some lost goblin kid? And what if the Screamer of the Deep is crying there...

The beard bristled even more and Morley hurriedly grabbed it in the fist of his free hand. Everyone knows that Screamer of the depths weeps quietly, almost without a sound, and the unfortunate person, who meets him, screams as if he is being slaughtered. At first metaphorically, and if you can't escape - literally.

Morley strode forward, furrowing his bushy brows. Right on the wailing side. He did not want to meet with Screamer at all, but the purpose of the trip overcame this reluctance. After all, there, in one of the lower galleries, behind the Old Staircase, the real treasure was waiting for him...

The cry grew louder and more and more resembled the sounds of a gurgling goblin. Undoubtedly. In the worst case, he will run away from the Screamer, as he has done many times before. The most important thing is not to fall into the monster's nest. By no means. No, no, and no again.

The sob leveled Morley's left ear. He stopped, raised his lantern, and began to examine the creature in a niche in the wall.

The fairy was tiny and cried piteously.

"What are you doing here?" asked the dwarf.

The little girl in the night sky dress didn't answer. Squeezing the smiley face in her small palms, she began to cry even louder.

"I ask, why are you weeping here?"

The answer was once again a deep sob. Morley pointed out that the fabric of the fairy's dress had little stars shining like diamonds here and there. Very nice dress.

"It's okay, don't cry," Morley muttered, not knowing what else to say.

But the fairy did not answer this time either. Her shoulders twitched helplessly, and her transparent wings quivered like the leaves of aspen.

"Goodbye, I won't stop you from crying," Morley turned to leave.

"Poor me, unhappy."

"What happened?"

"It's so dark and cold here."

"But I have a lantern and it's not cold here at all."

"All alone, among rocks and monsters!"

"You are no longer alone. And I'm no monster."

"Lost, lost forever. This is so wrong!"

"Life isn't fair," Morley observed.

"I do not agree! I immediately want to see the sweet Sun and find myself in the Humming Meadows," Confirming that she really wants it very much, the fairy patted her small but very graceful foot commandingly.

"The upper world is way overrated. It's so bright and windy there.."

"I want to go home!"

"So stop blabbering and act like a human being."

"I'm not human," shot back the fairy.

"Me too," Morley realized. "Then behave as befits a well-bred fairy."

The crying stopped. The little girl finally showed her smiley face and began to look at the dwarf standing in front of her.

"Oh! You have so much light."

"Hello to you too."

"You don't look like a monster at all."

"Morley. Morley Goldfinch."

"I am Ray from Humming Meadows. The ones by the Fluffy Willows. Nice to meet you," she was a little embarrassed and wiped a lingering tear from her cheek.

Morley nodded and tried to smile. This sign of friendliness was shown through the curls of his beard.

"Why are you showing your teeth? I hope, you don't want to eat me... "

"I am smiling."

"Ah, thank you," - Ray flapped its wings and performed a modest curtsy, rising a little in the air. "You won't leave me here alone, will you?"

"Chm."

"Please. "

"Looks like I won't leave," sighed Morley. Until recently, he only cared about the treasure waiting for him, and now he will have to take care of this little fairy.

"Hurray, we will travel to find the treasure!" Ray was very happy.

How? How does she know about the treasure? Morley was about to utter a voice, but held back and widened his eyes expressively. Suddenly, his dwarfish self felt that he was involved in matters that good bearded men usually avoid. Fairies and their fairy stuff... Little flyers are sure to come up with something!

Back