NOW WATCHING

I think the characters are the best part of the show. They're what make the show what it is. Everything they go through and the relationships. I feel like I can even relate to them sometimes.

Absolutely. Honestly, at this point in the show, Ted's life is more tragic than some Shakespeare characters.

My family discovered it on Netflix over the holidays.
I swear it's the only thing that's been on our TV since.

And it is very fun. Can't believe I've never watched it before.

8 season marathon? Good Lord...that's a lot of HIMYM.

My wife just finished season four. And I think my oldest is ahead of her.
Can't be more than two weeks.

I've been pretty much addicted to HIMYM for years. I probably have seen the first season at least 10 times, for example. :D

I went to see 12 Years a Slave yesterday. It's a fantastic film and brilliantly acted with cameos from A-list superstars Brad Pitt and Benedict Cumberbatch. The main thing I took from the film was the shocking realization that less than two hundred years ago people were still treated like that.

It's still only in it's first season, but I've been watching 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D', and so far am enjoying it. Even thought about making a thread on it as I know Loosey and Prowler watch it too, and discussing story lines can be quite entertaining (plus I'm sure they would educate me on Marvel further).

New episode tonight, shall be interesting to see where things go.

It's still only in it's first season, but I've been watching 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D', and so far am enjoying it. Even thought about making a thread on it as I know Loosey and Prowler watch it too, and discussing story lines can be quite entertaining (plus I'm sure they would educate me on Marvel further).

New episode tonight, shall be interesting to see where things go.

I've watched most of it. I'd give it a C-plus. It's OK, but I keep waiting for it to be better.
Something needs to happen in the next few episodes or I might drift away.

I guess it depends on how into the films you are. One thing I like about the show is that so far it has restrained from trying to 1-up constantly, making ever increasing problems that seem like they are serious enough to require one of the Avengers to step in. It's also staying relatively down to earth, science based (even if it is very advanced) rather than hocus pocus.

NP and I have been discussing in chat recently as to Skye's story - which I think is good character development, but maybe a little too soon. Such big things are often something that serves best being saved for further into the show when viewers feel more connected and care about the characters (such as the comments re: HIMYM a few posts ago). Plus there are already 2 major plot lines going on, between Coulson and Centipede.

It's not the best show ever, and not something I think it's easy to hop in and out of (although the episodes do stand alone quite well without needing to watch the whole thing to understand whats going on) but it's something I look forward to which in itself is a rarity atm.

It hasn't really surprised me, or really got me wondering yet.
But it shows signs that it still could, so I'm hanging in there.

I tuned it out long ago. Between it being on the air for 8 years and him NEVER meeting their fing mother, I stopped caring. I do like the characters and actors and I've followed them on their various projects. Jason Seigel is awesome. Jeff, Who Lives at Home was awesome.

I have found a new pointless obsession. The Curse of Oak Island, on the History Channel. Apparently this Island is a true mystery and I believe off the coast of Nova Scotia. As the story goes in 1795 three young men found an odd formation on the ground and started digging. Every 10 feet they found wooden beams and a piece of evidence like a gold link of a chain, a piece of paper, a plate engraved with odd markers and so on. Finally in the mid 1800's one of the treasure hunters accidently released a booby trap and the hole flooded with ocean water (all the wells in oak island contain fresh water). Since then people have been OBSESSED with the mystery surrounding the island. There are other weird stone markers throughout the island and there are several questions. Who brought Oak trees to the island? Who dug the original hole and what is it guarding? What do the various markers both on land and under water mean or point too? What is coconut fiber (also not indigenous to the island) doing in the man made cove? (It dates back to the 1300s).

The series follows two brothers who are basically have nothing better to do with their money, to see if they can FINALLY solve the riddle that has eluded so many for so long.

I guess it depends on how into the films you are. One thing I like about the show is that so far it has restrained from trying to 1-up constantly, making ever increasing problems that seem like they are serious enough to require one of the Avengers to step in. It's also staying relatively down to earth, science based (even if it is very advanced) rather than hocus pocus.

NP and I have been discussing in chat recently as to Skye's story - which I think is good character development, but maybe a little too soon. Such big things are often something that serves best being saved for further into the show when viewers feel more connected and care about the characters (such as the comments re: HIMYM a few posts ago). Plus there are already 2 major plot lines going on, between Coulson and Centipede.

It's not the best show ever, and not something I think it's easy to hop in and out of (although the episodes do stand alone quite well without needing to watch the whole thing to understand whats going on) but it's something I look forward to which in itself is a rarity atm.

I like SHIELD a lot. Granted, I am a die hard Joss Whedon, so I will watch (and give way more than a fair chance) to anything he has a hand in. It's definitely not the best show ever, but I thoroughly enjoy it and I think its getting better.

Skye seems to get a lot of flak from critics, and I don't get it, because she's the most engaging character, IMO. Once the characters are developed a bit more, I think the show will finally click. I hate to say the show needs more soap opera...but, there, I've said it. The Ward/May development was interesting and should be further explored. Coulson, as cool as he is, goes a long way with a little bit. I'm glad they've mostly finished is "am I real?!" arc, because it was getting very tedious. Also, the more Fitz-Simmons, the better.

I'm glad they've mostly finished is "am I real?!" arc, because it was getting very tedious.

No, they haven't. They still haven't told us HOW Coulson survived, just that they did "something that doctors shouldn't do" to him. He could yet be a fucking clone, or magic, or whatevs.

See this is what I am hoping for: I have not noticed clues to support any of the various theories on any of the characters; if the show delivers a few "a-ha" moments, some "that's what that was about" moments, it will have me hooked.

No, they haven't. They still haven't told us HOW Coulson survived, just that they did "something that doctors shouldn't do" to him. He could yet be a fucking clone, or magic, or whatevs.

Damnit, you're right! I wish they'd just get on with it already.

My husband said he might be robot. I forget all of the exact reasoning behind his theory though.

It's a plot from the comics, I believe. I'm not up on the issues really, but there's something called a Life Model Decoy that features prominently in the Marvel canon. Most fans believe this is what they will eventually reveal about Coulson. If so, it will be a pretty big let down, simply because so many people saw it coming.

See this is what I am hoping for: I have not noticed clues to support any of the various theories on any of the characters; if the show delivers a few "a-ha" moments, some "that's what that was about" moments, it will have me hooked.

Agreed. Hopefully the reveal of Skye's parents/their fate will be a good moment. I'm just waiting for the characters to go through something important. So far, everything that could potentially push the characters forward is contingent on the past: Skye's parents, Coulson's "death", May's becoming "The Cavalry", Ward having childhood/family issues, Fitz-Simmons brother-sister relationship...I just want to see them go through something in the present that affects their characters. Hence why I love the Ward/May thing.

Last edited:
Another theory that's going around is that May could be Skye's mother which is something I'm starting to firmly believe. Especially with how May acts around Skye. That or May is the one who dropped Skye off at the orphanage. I feel May and Skye have a connection somehow.

Cavalry. It's spelled cavalry.

I don't know what you mean...:innocent:

Another theory that's going around is that May could be Skye's mother which is something I'm starting to firmly believe. Especially with how May acts around Skye. That or May is the one who dropped Skye off at the orphanage. I feel May and Skye have a connection somehow.

I agree, they definitely have a connection. Hopefully, she's not her mother, cause that would just be too easy.

Also, I think it's time for a SHIELD thread!

Back