NOW PLAYING

This started after Sepultura.

Love how Youtube decides what I want to listen to, sees me being on the Maidenfans forum, and reads the previous poster's name. Scary!

'Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.'

Band ain't bad in fact.

Bathory - Blood On Ice album
So you were around when it was released? Curious to know what the general fan reaction was around that time. And yes, Blood on Ice doesnt have a strong opener or closer, but its strengths lie in the middle. There are some absolutely beautiful melodies in The Lake and Woodwoman. Man of Iron is a sensitive song that plays on Quorthons imperfect English pronunciations and singing abilities. One Eyed Old Man is a weird punk rocker on there that I love too.

Thats the thing though, theres no Asa Bay's, or A Fine Day to Die's or any Twilight of the God's. Is it lacking that singular epic that would've put it in the "Bathory hall of greatness", but it is still a great album.
Don't know about general fan reaction, I remember mine and those of my pals who were into such music, and it was basically huge disappointment mixed with some desperate attempt to find at least something likeable about it. After the awful Requiem and Octagon there was some hope new album would be in the vein of Blood Fire Death and Hammerheart (especially since it was supposed to be 1980s material); I remember it sounded pretty pathetic to us. Haven't heard it for more than 20 years now so don't remember much detail, will probably give it a listen regardless if chosen or not.

Moving our nice conversation here because that Giant Jock Of A Wizard, Oor Wuzzie, would object otherwise.
:ninja:, just in case. I know you don't need that Wiz but let's play it safe :rolleyes:
At Man Of Iron currently. Great Manowar parody, except it isn't.:facepalm:

^The Revenge Of The Blood On Ice
Some Twilight Of The Gods vibe here.
Bloody album seems to be better than I remember it actually, especially after the first 18 minutes or so.
Thank you very much, @Dityn DJ James, for giving me a reason to re-listen it after all that time, and @LooseCannon for starting the thread because of which.
:cheers:

@Kalata I once watched about a quarter of that on YouTube - I didn't like the camera work so I turned it off. Pretty good set though. She, Tears Are Falling, Got to Choose, Parasite - good stuff.

Back