NOW PLAYING

Are the lyrics as good as they sound, @GhostofCain ? Thanks.

I wish I could speak the language of my ancestors!

The lyrics in Basque (according to www.metal-archives.com):

Ihesi doa denbora,
amaigabea haizearen bidaia,
errekastoen urak geldiro
darrai...

Gure herria bere jaiotzean
emankortasunaren aberastasuna
aurkitu zuen ibai zabala izan zen.

Gure arbasoen jatorria
hitza eta keinuaren
asmamenaren arteragokoa da.

Gure arbasoen aita
lurreko lehen izakien artean
eskualdunak.

Naturako basa piztietatik bereiztuz
adore eta asmamenez baliatu zena,
eskuen ahalmena erdietsiz
eskuen eta keinuen arteko
hizkuntza jokoari eskuera deitu ziona,
bere izateriaren lehen garailea,
bera lehen eskualduna.

can be translated into English (Google translate + a couple of bits I have corrected - I do apologise in advance as I do not know how accurate the translation might be) as follows:

Time runs out,
endless wind journey,
the waters of the creeks slowly
continue ...

Our people at their birth
wealth of fertility
it was a wide river he found.

Origin of our ancestors
word and gesture
it is the artery of ingenuity

The father of our ancestors
among the first creatures on the Basque land.

Separating from the wild beasts of nature
who used courage and ingenuity,
reaching for the power of the hands
between the hands and the gestures
what he called the language game,
the first victor of his nature,
the first Basque.

I do not know if you have come across the following scholar study, but it seems quite interesting and well researched:

View attachment 10370

@Detective Beauregard I'm still trying to give it a chance and I admit that I like the whole album more and more. However, so far I haven't enjoyed Lateralus all that much - at least on the first listen I heard way too much of "bro metal" influence. Though, to be honest, I kinda hear that even in Blackwater Park (that came out the same year! but I'll get to that when I review the particular albums), let alone DT, so it won't put me off forever, I just didn't enjoy the first listen.

I have no idea what "bro" metal is... can you pick out parts of Lateralus and Blackwater Park that contain this style?

Lateralus (like all Tool albums) takes a while to sink in. The best songs are arguably The Grudge, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, and the title track. Ticks & Leeches has its moments but gets a bit too screamy for me.

I have no idea what "bro" metal is... can you pick out parts of Lateralus and Blackwater Park that contain this style?

I admit that "bro metal" is not a well-defined term and I use it precisely as such. It's not necessarily downtuned guitars or simplistic riffs (some of the riffs might be pretty complicated) and it's not necessarily in the vocals ('cause those don't even need to be present), it's not a specific genre (though both nu metal and groove metal could fit)... it's more like I listen to a song (or part of a song) and I can't get the feeling that it's "brometalish" out of my head. The rule of thumb's kinda "could I imagine Pantera and/or Limp Bizkit doing this?"

Exempli gratia:
- Well, already The Grudge - both the buildup and especially when the song kicks into gear at around 2:40 sound this way
- The main riff (1:55) and its variation (5:13) in the title track of Blackwater Park (don't get me wrong, both the riff and the song are really great, as are most Akerfeldt riffs and songs, but it kinda makes you want to go to the locker room to bully some pitiful nerds and put their heads in the toilet)
- The second part of The Glass Prison (5:55 - "Run fast from the wreckage of the past")

I find it kinda weird that all these bands toyed with this particular thing around the beginning of the new millennium and they wouldn't before or really that much after... well, it was the heyday of nu metal, so it's kinda expected, though I'd never thought that progmet bands would be the ones to do it, with all the implied elitism, dissociation from mainstream and shit.

81Yg3jI1VeL._SS500_.jpg

I wish I could speak the language of my ancestors!

The lyrics in Basque (according to www.metal-archives.com):

Ihesi doa denbora,
amaigabea haizearen bidaia,
errekastoen urak geldiro
darrai...

Gure herria bere jaiotzean
emankortasunaren aberastasuna
aurkitu zuen ibai zabala izan zen.

Gure arbasoen jatorria
hitza eta keinuaren
asmamenaren arteragokoa da.

Gure arbasoen aita
lurreko lehen izakien artean
eskualdunak.

Naturako basa piztietatik bereiztuz
adore eta asmamenez baliatu zena,
eskuen ahalmena erdietsiz
eskuen eta keinuen arteko
hizkuntza jokoari eskuera deitu ziona,
bere izateriaren lehen garailea,
bera lehen eskualduna.

can be translated into English (Google translate + a couple of bits I have corrected - I do apologise in advance as I do not know how accurate the translation might be) as follows:

Time runs out,
endless wind journey,
the waters of the creeks slowly
continue ...

Our people at their birth
wealth of fertility
it was a wide river he found.

Origin of our ancestors
word and gesture
it is the artery of ingenuity

The father of our ancestors
among the first creatures on the Basque land.

Separating from the wild beasts of nature
who used courage and ingenuity,
reaching for the power of the hands
between the hands and the gestures
what he called the language game,
the first victor of his nature,
the first Basque.

I do not know if you have come across the following scholar study, but it seems quite interesting and well researched:

Thank you so much for this, and for the link, @GhostofCain! Paper looks very interesting indeed, I'll read it with great pleasure later today. Thanks!

Back