And you know and you know
'Cause my life's a mess
And I'm trying to grow so before
I'm old I'll confess

You think that I'm strong - you're wrong
You're wrong
I'll sing my song, my song, my song"

8143vlqnWpL._SX355_.jpg

I apologise in advance to all the fans of Tori Amos... but... I can't help but see her as a very cheap imitation of Kate Bush that strives to be more well-known and respected in the mainstream, dumbing it down and making it more "edgy" from time to time to achive that purpose. Actually, the only album I enjoy would be American Doll Posse - despite the multiple personality craziness and everything else, it's a wonderful album full of musical ideas and I still can hum pretty much every song from memory even eleven years later.

This here album is just a demonstration - it's not really bad, in any shape or form, but it definitely leaves something to be desired. I guess I prefer my female singers-songwriters to either actually be clever (Kate, Joni) or at least not to pretend so when they're really not (Vega, Avril, heck, even Liz Phair).

Or maybe it's just her. I mean.. it really takes someone special to take such a great hook as in Crucify and transform it into such an annoying, whiny bore of a song.

P.S. - Okay, Crucify is not that bad, if you ignore the lady and just concentrate on the song. Actually pretty good at that.

"And if a double-decker bus
Crashes into us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die

And if a ten-ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well, the pleasure, the privilege is mine"

Back