NOW PLAYING

R-4656445-1458883032-2105.jpg

So, about 15 years after I've fallen out of love with LedZep, I've listened to this album in its entirety in car over two days while on trips with family. I haven't heard this album as a whole even longer than that, maybe 17-18 years - and I immediately noticed the 2018 reissue that's present on Spotify is missing Hello, Mary Lou from the Whole Lotta Love medley (criminy!) - and honestly, I get why they were my first favouritest band ever. Well, before I oversaturated myself and decided to look for more "high-brow" pastures, I guess.

True, I have since grown to absolutely despise Plant (which is quite easy to do, he's certainly one of the more obnoxious vocalists in rock) and all his scatting and whining and moaning and ad-libs and everything, but that's really not important - instrumentally, as a band, they were absolutely magical. Among all the stealing from black bluesmen and fellating of Crowley and mudshark incidents and all the rumours of him being a nonce - kidnapping underage groupies and whatnot - I have utterly forgotten how great Page really was as a guitarist. It really suprised me once again, the fluid, natural feel, the riffs, the solos, the sound. Yes, the bowing of the guitar is utter nonsense, a self-indulgent stupidity that makes no sense, atmospherically, aurally... just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. But each time he actually plays - which is for the most part - it's heaven.

But yeah, the rhythm section. I realised in another life, I should have been a drummer, because really it's often the drummer who makes or breaks the band for me. And Bonzo, well... I know I have been more in favour of the "prog" blokes, with me loving Bruford and Portnoy and whatnot, but thing is... I'm 100 % certain Bruford and Portnoy and Dailor and yes, even Phil Collins (back when he was at his best, which meant he used to be among the best prog drummers, really) - and Nicko!, definitely - must have been influenced by Bonzo. That feel is just there. The "busy" feel, the importance of base drum, the punch. And besides, the things they used to play, some polymetric, some just plain old crazy (I mean, try to play Black Dog as a band and keep that "stacked against itself" feel, that's a solid fuckery right there)... well, that's all definitely as close to prog as hard/blues rock can get.
Bonzo, Baker and Airto (especially on the 1972 Return to Forever debut) are certainly among my "most influential drummer dudes".

Also, as I get older, I don't even mind That's the Way as much (I generally liked their folk-rock excourses and III was the first CD by them I bought, but TTW always felt a bit overlong, monotonous, vapid) and I actually realised ... overplayed and pretentious as it is, Stairway to Heaven really is a unique song. I remember thinking that back when I was 5 or 6 and I first heard it - that song sounds really like no other. And it's still true. I don't care if it was stolen or reappropriated or whatever, it's a very unique sound. Despite it being overplayed.

I'm teetering right on the edge of becoming a fan once again. Plant notwithstanding. If there ever was a band I wish I could see live just for one concert... yeah, Cream as well, but maybe Zep a bit more. 'Cause they're... bigger, I guess.

The "La Fiesta" part (i. e. the last 8 minutes or so) is still one of the most thrilling pieces of music I know. Especially rhythm-wise. Airto's drumwork there is among the most inspiring shit I've ever heard in my life.

But yeah, the rhythm section. I realised in another life, I should have been a drummer, because really it's often the drummer who makes or breaks the band for me.

While I normally don't mind OK drummers, I do notice good ones. Or good drumming in otherwise awful songs. That said, the main reason I've NEVER gotten into Slayer is everything to do with Dave Lombardo. I think he is down right atrocious. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. A half-brained one trick pony. On the other hand, I HATE Smoke on the Water from Deep Purple, but I LOVE the drumming in it.

While I normally don't mind OK drummers, I do notice good ones. Or good drumming in otherwise awful songs. That said, the main reason I've NEVER gotten into Slayer is everything to do with Dave Lombardo. I think he is down right atrocious. BAM BAM BAM BAM BAM. A half-brained one trick pony. On the other hand, I HATE Smoke on the Water from Deep Purple, but I LOVE the drumming in it.

Mate, I love you, but you're weird.
I mean, I don't like Slayer, but if I do at least a little bit, it's partially because of Lombardo

Let alone his work in Fantomas.

I mean, I could name a hundred drummers I like more, but still, being a hundred and first is a no small feat.

And he's pretty much the only member of Slayer whom I respect as a musician *shrugs*.

AND I find Paice to be the weakest spot of classic Purple :D (although there are moments when his overall subtlety makes me appreciate the song)

I suppose there's no accounting for taste. But I find it funny how preferences differ.

Back