Now Playing (Video Games)

Installing Red Dead Redemption 2. It’s taken all day because that thing is BIG. Too bad I have to wake up early tomorrow.

Oh and I hope my computer will be able to run it properly.
After 10 hours of installing, the game won’t launch. Some files installed incorrectly or something. Screw this.

I'm pretty close to being done RDR2, and, oof. It's very fun, but the game keeps getting in its own way in a lot of ways. Why do I have to watch an animation every time I cook meat or make a potion? I decided to make a bunch of food so I would be stocked up for some missions and spent literally ten minutes going through the animations. Why? That is the opposite of fun!

The game is absolutely stellar, and yet a significant portion of the game's map is not used within the game itself. I spent some time wandering along through a mountain trail, that went almost nowhere, and there was no mission there, no collectable. Vast amounts of the map are not used at all; there is a solid third of the map that is (spoiler) functionally locked until after chapter 6.

I didn't pay $80 for it, I paid about $40 CAD, and I do not feel ripped off. I just am looking at this and I am wondering when the game company that was known for packing maps full of just so much stuff became known as the company that left maps empty and useless.

I'm pretty close to being done RDR2, and, oof. It's very fun, but the game keeps getting in its own way in a lot of ways. Why do I have to watch an animation every time I cook meat or make a potion? I decided to make a bunch of food so I would be stocked up for some missions and spent literally ten minutes going through the animations. Why? That is the opposite of fun!

The game is absolutely stellar, and yet a significant portion of the game's map is not used within the game itself. I spent some time wandering along through a mountain trail, that went almost nowhere, and there was no mission there, no collectable. Vast amounts of the map are not used at all; there is a solid third of the map that is (spoiler) functionally locked until after chapter 6.

I didn't pay $80 for it, I paid about $40 CAD, and I do not feel ripped off. I just am looking at this and I am wondering when the game company that was known for packing maps full of just so much stuff became known as the company that left maps empty and useless.
you might find this interesting. WARNING, it contains spoilers, interesting nevertheless:

Yeah, if someone thinks building an empty map is a bold creative decision and not we ran out of money to complete the game they're fooling themselves.

Rogue-like action platformer with hundreds of dynamic, vibrant areas and tons of enemies and secrets - we don't have a level design because we don't have a level designer because we don't have concept artist because we don't have a real storyboard. So take these 5 same shitty procedure generated levels with random enemies thrown around and a "secret item" hidden behind a block somewhere.

Yeah, if someone thinks building an empty map is a bold creative decision and not we ran out of money to complete the game they're fooling themselves.
It's definitely a very personal point of view. I found it interesting, but I agree it is not a very popular one.

Rogue-like action platformer with hundreds of dynamic, vibrant areas and tons of enemies and secrets - we don't have a level design because we don't have a level designer because we don't have concept artist because we don't have a real storyboard. So take these 5 same shitty procedure generated levels with random enemies thrown around and a "secret item" hidden behind a block somewhere.
THIS, on the other hand, I agree with whole heartedly. The vast majority of Rogue-like/lite games clearly hide their glaring deficiencies with what you mention here.

Yeah, absolutely. There are exceptions, of course, but about 90% of rogue-likes are just boring as fuck.

I remember the first time I played Diablo, made my way through 20 minutes of gameplay, died, had to start over. Started saving every three steps lol

OK, so I lied. turns out I had plenty of time this week to kick back and finish Ori and the Blind Forest. Motherfucker made me tear up, what a touching story. I got all the collectables, explored all of the map, died over 700 times and played shy of 19 hours. Sounds like a lot, but it still felt really short. You can technically speedrun the game in under 3 hours, but I didn't bother with that. Got 48 of 57 achievements, again, I'm ok with athat since I'm not interested in the speed run or finish the game without dying, kill x amount of enemies in this one way, etc. I wanted to be engrossed in the story, the experience. It was exactly what I was looking for, a beautiful game with a good story that was still fun to play. There were some chase sequences in which I died (A LOT), but I never got frustrated. I was very relaxed the whole time.

After this game I looked at my list of pending games and didn't want to follow up on any of them. I'm taking a break, might actually read a book or something. Then I noticed Return of the Obra Din. I had started it, was utterly confused on what to do and left it. In my new found relaxed state I went back to it and realized I was enjoying the slow, exploratory pace of trying to figure out what happened on the ship. So, I might spend some time with it, but not as much as I did with Alien or Ori.

You can't spend that much time with Obra Dinn, it's finite. Sadly. What an amazing game, I loved every single second of the game. I would happily play another such game.

You can't spend that much time with Obra Dinn, it's finite. Sadly. What an amazing game, I loved every single second of the game. I would happily play another such game.
Considering I'm still fairly lost on how to proceed I might take longer than intended by the creators. I think I found the captains name and cause of death and the game's like, "This may or may not be true," gee, thanks! lol.

Considering I'm still fairly lost on how to proceed I might take longer than intended by the creators. I think I found the captains name and cause of death and the game's like, "This may or may not be true," gee, thanks! lol.
You need to get three people completely right before they check them off. What do you think the captain's name and cause of death is? That's very early on, as memory serves.

You need to get three people completely right before they check them off. What do you think the captain's name and cause of death is? That's very early on, as memory serves.

Yes, it's in rhe very first part, he shoots one guy, knifes another, says good bye to his wife and then shoots himself. His name is captain Robert Witteral, his wife is Abigail Witteral. Game won't let out a cause of death for her, but seems to be illness. While the cause of death is obvious with the other two, cant figure out their names.

Yes, it's in rhe very first part, he shoots one guy, knifes another, says good bye to his wife and then shoots himself. His name is captain Robert Witteral, his wife is Abigail Witteral. Game won't let out a cause of death for her, but seems to be illness. While the cause of death is obvious with the other two, cant figure out their names.
Did you not look at her death memory yet? It sure as shit isn't illness.

Also, Abigail's death memory is the moment that really got me into the game.

Did you not look at her death memory yet? It sure as shit isn't illness.

Also, Abigail's death memory is the moment that really got me into the game.
Ho-ly shit! It' just got real! Was not expecting that. Also, completed my first three fates, the captain, his wife and the first mate. Thanks for the tip, no idea why I didn't think to activate the pocket watch on Abigail.

Ho-ly shit! It' just got real! Was not expecting that. Also, completed my first three fates, the captain, his wife and the first mate. Thanks for the tip, no idea why I didn't think to activate the pocket watch on Abigail.
Yeah, that reveal was huge and awesome and really sucked me in.

Axiom Verge 2 will be released in the next two months..."coming this spring" per developer.

Well, I finished Red Dead Redemption 2. Final grade: 8/10.

It is absolutely one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. The vistas and sceneries are simply incredible, and I have frequently sat down to just look out over the view, something I've rarely done. The gameplay in general was really good - control was excellent, item wheels were good, and once you're fully "levelled up" the Dead Eye/Eagle Eye mechanic is very usable and fun. Combat was really good. The voice acting was, of course, excellent, as Rockstar has traditionally worked hard to get very good actors into the voice/mocap spaces without breaking the bank on big names.

My complaints:
1. The use of real time as a limiting mechanic. I found it incredibly annoying to see the runtime of the game padded by things like repeated animal skinning animations and the need to cook/craft one thing at a time over the course of the game. Similarly, not being able to rapidly repair all weapons at a shop, having to go through catalogues for many purchases, not being able to hot drop all loot at the camp. All these little things probably added up to a couple of hours of my ~90 in the game, but were incredibly frustrating.
2. The amount of the map that was completely untouched by anything. There's huge areas of the game that are never visited by the protagonist through missions, or are only touched once. So many buildings are empty or unenterable. And the western area of the game - the recreation of RDR1 - is bland and pointless, as if Rockstar is trying to get you to play the old game again while not offering it on the superior PC platform for retail.
3. Secondary story pieces that aren't followed on. There's so many little hints of stuff that they clearly expected to have more development time to deal with or were expecting to drop in DLC that were never made.
4. Cannot control the train sufficiently. This just annoys me.
5. Primary story is oddly paced.
Arthur's final chapter is good for him, but the idea that all these weird things have been happening to the Van Der Linde Gang since Micah joined but he only turns traitor in the final chapter? The slow drag of getting to know everyone followed by the very clunky Guarma chapter? It feels like the game meanders in chapter 4 and then jumps off the rail in 5, while rushing to the conclusion in 6. Still, Arthur's passing is very touching. He was a great character. When you play the epilogue - which was fine - I found it very upsetting that the protagonist loses his agency at the end. I should have been allowed to kill Micah in combat, rather than go through an extended cut scene with Dutch that was ultimately pointless towards the story. Still, the story was very good, just I feel it could have been perfect with some extra work.

But yes, a modern masterpiece and marvel, probably the best game Rockstar has made since San Andreas.

Back