NOTB: individual album judgement by yours truly

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
Invaders - 6 >
Children of the Damned - 7 >
The Prisoner - 9 >
22 Acacia Avenue - 8 >
The Number of the Beast - 9 >
Run to the Hills - 10 >
Gangland - 4 >
Total Eclipse - 7 >
Hallowed Be Thy Name - 9 >

Average Score: 7.6/10
Actual Score: 7.9/10

A better album than the two preceding ones. Bruce is far better than Di'Anno, the writing's stronger, and the low points still work well in the context of the album. A good sign of things to come.

The Dissident

Ancient Mariner
97/365

The Number Of The Beast - Iron Maiden
Format: Vinyl

Invaders - A nice solid track with a shitty chorus. I really like the drum intro and the guitar work is quite strong as expected by Maiden. Bruce sings fairly well overall. 8/10

Children Of The Damned - Acoustic guitar introduces the next track before an electric one cries in the background. Bruce sings calmly at first soon letting loose some nice longer high notes. An absolutely amazing mini epic - 10/10

The Prisoner - A interrogation intro leads into a heavy drum lead band intro, picking up the pace greatly. Bruce sings amazingly, the chorus is nice. Overall an incredibly strong track - 10/10

22 Acacia Avenue - A quick intro leads into a song in the Charlotte The Harlot story. A fairly strong track that I've never acquired the taste for. But the solo is nice - 8.5/10

The Number Of The Beast - YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! - 10/10

Run To The Hills - Like many the first Maiden song I had heard, I thought it was a good song. How wrong was I, now years later I prepare to potentially hear it for my first Maiden concert. Run To The Hills is an outright amazing metal track the band delivers an accurate portrayal of history while kicking ass - 10/10

Gangland - A nice drum intro leads into a much weaker track than the rest on this side. A weak track on a brilliant album - 7/10

Hallowed Be Thy Name - Absolutely amazing. Hallowed is an amazing metal track let alone Maiden song. It sits in my top 2 Maiden tracks. Perfection - 10/10

Overall 92%

karljant

Ancient Mariner
Invaders - 8.25/10
Children of the Damned - 8.25/10
The Prisoner - 7.75/10
22 Acacia Avenue - 8/10
The Number of the Beast - 9.5/10
Run to the Hills - 8.5/10
Gangland - 5.5/10
Total Eclipse - 8.5/10
Hallowed Be Thy Name - 8.25/10

Average: 8.05/10

Last edited:

The_7th_one

Ancient Mariner
1. Invaders 8,5
2. Children of the Damned 10
3. The Prisoner 10
4. 22 Acacia Avenue 9,5
5. The number of the Beast 10
6. Run to the Hills 10
7. Gangland 9,5
8. Total Eclipse 9
9. Hallowed be thy name 10

F***ING BRILLIANT

Last edited:

KidInTheDark666

What's yours is mine and what's mine is mine too
Invaders 7/10
Children Of The Damned 9/10
The Prisoner 8/10
22 Acacia Avenue 9/10
The Number Of The Beast 8/10
Run To The Hills 9/10
Gangland 7/10
Hallowed Be Thy Name 10/10

Average song rating: 8,37
Overall album rating 85%

Diesel 11

As you scream into the web of silence...
THE NUMBER OF THE BEAST (1982)

1. Invaders - 8/10
On an album as iconic as TNOTB, you’d think the opener would stand out... but no, it’s the album’s most overlooked track. Invaders isn’t the most brilliant of Maiden’s songs, yet it’s ferocious and the introduction of the band’s fiery new singer. It may have a goofy chorus, but the verses are pure action and Bruce is killer.

2. Children Of The Damned - 8/10
A very good second song, although it used to do more for me than it does now. Can’t fault the atmosphere and the vocal performance, though.

3. The Prisoner - 10/10
A fantastic drum intro leads into the raging riff. A heavy anthem, this one is awesome from the beautiful chorus to the flaming solos. Classic.

4. 22 Acacia Avenue - 8/10
A proggy affair from the lads and the second in the Charlotte series, 22 has a lot of kick to it but not quite enough to be as memorable as some of the others on here.

5. The Number Of The Beast - 10/10
A chilling spoken word intro leads into the riff as Bruce guides us through this dark metal classic. Everything from the chorus to the solos to that iconic scream... perfection.

6. Run To The Hills - 10/10
This is where it all began for me, the song that made me a Maiden fan. The drum intro, the riff, and above all the chorus... just so good.

7. Gangland - 6/10
Solid enough song but kinda boring.

8. Total Eclipse - 9/10
Another song that used to do more for me, but it’s still pretty awesome, particularly the last bit where Bruce really lets it all loose. Incredible.

9. Hallowed Be Thy Name - 10/10
For better or for worse, there will never be another song like Hallowed. Is it Maiden’s best? Not a chance, but it’s still an undeniable tour-de-force in the metal scene. Epic song.

This is where Maiden really started to get their shit together. The guitars sound great, Bruce has taken the vocals to places few would have dreamed of, and now we only need Nicko to herald in the classic Iron Maiden sound and cement the band as the gods they are.

Rating: 88%

Poteitos

Prowler
My ratings

Invaders: 7
Children of the Damned: 8,5
The Prisoner: 8
22 Acacia Avenue: 9
The Number of the Beast: 7,5
Run to the Hills: 8,5
Gangland: 7
Total Eclipse: 10
Hallowed Be Thy Name: 10

Overall: 8,3

MrKnickerbocker

clap hands
2019 relisten quick reflections:

- It's really a shame that the chorus of Invaders is so fucking abysmal, because the verses and instrumental parts are great. This rose a couple points this time, but will never get higher than a 5/10 due to that garbage chorus.
- The Prisoner would be a top tier tune if it was 30-45 sec shorter.
- 22 Acacia Avenue has some of the best, most progressive music on any early Maiden album. It's incredible.
- Gangland remains a truly crap song and this album would've been better without it (and with the far superior Total Eclipse).

Overall, I think TNOTB is one of those albums that simply doesn't have that many layers. I don't think this is a bad thing, as most of the songs on it are pretty great, but it does not reveal anything new over time. Most Bruce-era-and-beyond Maiden albums have a lot of musical information packed into them that can change opinions with repeated listens, but TNOTB feels like exactly what it is: the sound of a band learning to mature. It is stuck in the same mould as the previous two albums, albeit with a much higher quality of songwriting and advanced sonic scope. It's truly a turning point in the career of the band and a great listen (despite a crap opener).

2019 rating (w/ Total Eclipse added): 8.1/10
2019 rating (w/ Total Eclipse and w/o Gangland): 8.8/10

Randalf

Ancient Mariner
Overall, I think TNOTB is one of those albums that simply doesn't have that many layers. I don't think this is a bad thing, as most of the songs on it are pretty great, but it does not reveal anything new over time. Most Bruce-era-and-beyond Maiden albums have a lot of musical information packed into them that can change opinions with repeated listens, but TNOTB feels like exactly what it is: the sound of a band learning to mature. It is stuck in the same mould as the previous two albums, albeit with a much higher quality of songwriting and advanced sonic scope. It's truly a turning point in the career of the band and a great listen (despite a crap opener).
I pretty much agree. It's a very strong album, with not too much to discover when you've already given it a lot spins. That, of course, doesn't change the fact that it's a brilliant listen every time. There are a couple of songs that pale in comparison to the body of the album, the classic selection of RTTH, TNOTB, THe Prisoner, COTD and Hallowed, but the album is compact enough not to really lose grip at any time as far as the ferocity, songwriting and pure energy of the young band goes, you can't really find much to complain.

So, I'd score it around 8 too, but given the fact that 6/8 songs are absolutely amazing and true classics and Invaders and Gangland work well enough as your typical 80's heavy metal songs among the rest, the value of the album is indeed a bit higher than it's actual score. Not as sophisticated as some of the following albums, but an outrageous testimony of the band at the dawn of their golden era.

Killers: 7-8, so let's say 7.5
The Number of the Beast: 8

Last edited:

Arturo_J

Prowler
Invaders -- 5
Children of the Damned -- 7
The Prisoner -- 8
22 Acacia Avenue -- 7
The Number of the Beast -- 9
Run to the Hills -- 9
Gangland -- 5