Non-Harris + non-Dickinson songs of the nineties

Which one is your favourite (of the moment)?

• Judgement Day (Bayley, Gers)

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Man On The Edge (Bayley, Gers)

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Como Estais Amigos (Gers, Bayley)

Votes: 10 43.5%

• Total voters

Forostar

Ancient Mariner
Not counting the covers, do such tracks exist? Yes they do: only three! :)

What is your favourite track, not penned by these very important (if not most important) songwriters of the band?

Well, enough nineties for now, I guess all songs from this decade had some attention. ;)

Judgement of heaven is one of my favourite songs so I'll go with that one. Hell, I'm going to put it on.

Como Estais Amigos gets my vote. Good song and a perfect album closer for Virtual XI.

Amigos for me, too. Great ballad, great text, and a very nice instrumental section with one of the best Maiden melodies ever made.

MAN ON THE EDGE!
MAN ON THE EEEDDDGEEEEE!

I really love that song. Good movie too.
Although, Como Estais Amigos is a really great song. Virtual XI suprised me as an album.

Zare said:
and a very nice instrumental section with one of the best Maiden melodies ever made.

No way.

I clearly hear that this section, or at least the solo part, is a recycled version of the section in 2 A.M. which in its turn is a recycled version of the section in Wasting Love.

That's why it won't get my vote. In fact this uninspired recycling is what makes VXI worse than (most) other Maiden albums. I'll go for MOTE.

Como Estais Amigos wins hands down.  I somewhat detest Man on the Edge (it just doesn't fit the album IMO, I almost always skip it), and I'm not sure if I've ever heard Judgement Day.  And Como Estais Amigos is so great it should have been on The X Factor.  And I agree with Zare about the melody.

Invader said:
Como Estais Amigos wins hands down.  I somewhat detest Man on the Edge (it just doesn't fit the album IMO, I almost always skip it), and I'm not sure if I've ever heard Judgement Day.  And Como Estais Amigos is so great it should have been on The X Factor.  And I agree with Zare about the melody.
Agree with everything.

Invader said:
....and I'm not sure if I've ever heard Judgement Day.
Judgement Day is a b'side of one of the Man on the Edge single releases (the one with conventional plastic jewel case - the digipak one has Justice of the Peace but both have Edge of Darkness and a Blaze interview). But if you detest Man on the Edge that much, you may not have bothered collecting the single versions. ;)

I guess there's another version. I have the MOTE-single in a conventional plastic jewel case containing both Justice of the Peace and Judgement Day (and Edge of Darkness) but not the Blaze interview.

Albie said:
Judgement Day is a b'side of one of the Man on the Edge single releases (the one with conventional plastic jewel case - the digipak one has Justice of the Peace but both have Edge of Darkness and a Blaze interview). But if you detest Man on the Edge that much, you may not have bothered collecting the single versions. ;)
You know, I was five years old when The X Factor was released. ;) (and haven't seen a Man on the Edge single ever) And anyway, to be honest I don't own a single Maiden single.

Best-Of-The-B%27Sides-(face).jpg

Forostar said:
I guess there's another version. I have the MOTE-single in a conventional plastic jewel case containing both Justice of the Peace and Judgement Day (and Edge of Darkness) but not the Blaze interview.
What I have on the conventional plastic jewel case is this listing:
Man on the Edge
Edge of Darkness
Judgement Day
Blaze interview part 1
(And a set of postcards)

And on the digipak:
Man on the Edge
Edge of Darkness
Justice of the Peace
Blaze interview part 2

The same two mentioned in the commentary
Part 1
Part 2

Both versions exist, and I have both. Foro's is actually the Dutch version, and is not to be confused with the two-part single that came with that nice cardboard box and the postcards (which took me two or three years to track down until I got it from a seller in Sardinia, of all places). It also has a slim Maxi-CD case, whereas the Man On The Edge Part I is in a normal CD Jewel case.

In essence, Foro has the Dutch version, Albie the UK version of the single. It's really that simple. ;)

Thabnks for clearing that up, Per!

So the Commentary is incomplete. It misses the Dutch version. :)
Who knows I have more Dutch Maiden singles!

How are the interviews? Does he talk about the songs on TXF?

Back