No Prayer For The Dying or Fear Of The Dark

Which album do you like better?

• No Prayer For The Dying

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Fear Of The Dark

Votes: 23 65.7%

• Total voters
I chose No Prayer for the Dying, because, actually, i rather like that album.
Tailgunner, Holy Smoke, Public Enema Number One, Hooks in You and Bring Your Daughter... are all great songs. Cant say i like The Assasin or Mother Russia though.

Fear of the Dark, well....its just got a lot of filler.
Apart from Be Quick or be Dead, ATSS, Weekend Warrior, FotD, and....get ready for this....The Apparition(!), all the album is pretty pants. Wasting Love is alright.
And yeah, i really, really like "The Apparition". Its catchy :p

I don't find The Apparition a great song, at the same time I have no problems with it either (I think it's better than Chains Of Misery). But I am a rare species as well, in that aspect. ;)

I can only imagine that most people might find it slow and that they don't like the lyrics(?)
I find the rhythm guitars pretty intelligent, interacting with the vocal accents. The midpiece has some groove, which is fine to me!

What also can play a role is that the track is very different for Maiden. The same goes for Fear Is The Key (slow, plus the acoustic middle part) and Weekend Warrior (especially lyricwise but also musically).

There's more "new" stuff going on, such as the "rocker" From Here To Eternity (reflecting a more simple rocking attitude of Maiden), and the ballad Wasting Love. There's a contrast between those aspects I think. It makes the album quite unique in their discography, at least when it came out back in 1992.

Maiden used a lot of acoustic guitars on the album. It's different but I am glad they did use these elements.

Conclusion:
When I compare Fear Of The Dark with No Prayer For The Dying it looks like Maiden made FOTD with a lot of feeling (and more patience) where No Prayer For The Dying sounds to me as a release of an incredible raw energy. NPFTD sounds very live and straight-in-the-face, especially the drums. Two quite different albums, both made with the same line-up!

Thinking about it all I am really amazed that Maiden made all these different sounding albums in a row.

However, The X-Factor (made with a different line-up!) is a logical follow-up to Fear of the Dark. The calm, atmospherical moments and the acoustic guitars are still there. And let's not forget the long calm intros of ATSS and the title track. This style became important for TXF and the following albums.

The transition from Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son to No Prayer For The Dying is much bigger, so is (as explained) the one from NPFTD to FOTD.

Forostar said:
I don't find The Apparition a great song, at the same time I have no problems with it either (I think it's better than Chains Of Misery). But I am a rare species as well, in that aspect. ;)

Me too, sort of.  Chains of Misery is hideously bad and extremely annoying to listen to, whereas Chains of Misery is just... forgettable.    I can not for the life of me remember how the song actually sounds, I just remember that it's boring and sub-par.  It's one of the few, if not the only, Maiden song that I can not remember at all.  I know I've often called it one of the worst Maiden songs ever, and my comment above implies that I like it more than I do.  If I can't remember a Maiden song that I've heard dozens of times (probably, I haven't counted :) ), then probably it's not worth remembering.

As for the rest of your comments... I disagree somewhat; I've never seen Fear of the Dark as an album with feeling and patience.  I always saw it more as a half-arsed attempt to go back to the golden age albums without letting go of No Prayer completely.  It seems more to me like the band didn't really know what they wanted at that point; to go to the "sophistication" (for lack of a better word) of the Piece of Mind-Seventh Son era (as seen on Fear of the Dark or Afraid to Shoot Strangers), to continue the No Prayer line of raw aggression (Be Quick or Be Dead), or to explore new possibilities (like the ones you mentioned).  This, coupled with the obvious lack of enthusiasm by Bruce (just look at his songwriting credits on the album!) and the void left by Adrian (songwriting, not guitar playing) still present, makes Fear of the Dark Maiden's most disjointed, lost, and unbalanced album.  I don't see it as unique in a good way, I see it as representing divisions and lack of direction in the band and showing that the band could even have fallen apart in those days.  Which, actually, does not seem so far-fetched, looking at some interviews from that era.

In that sense, it's very good that Bruce left when he did.  I might even argue that Bruce leaving saved Maiden, and Blaze joining gave the band direction so crucially needed for the band.  Though I agree with you Foro that FotD and TXF have some joining elements, those two albums are in my opinion miles apart.  One is a balanced, interesting, and unified album with direction, drive, and passion.  The other is a halfway-there effort lacking in enthusiasm, unity, and interest.  Maiden only (IMO) reached the balance and unity of The X Factor at the height of their two Bruce eras with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and A Matter of Life and Death*, both of which were the result of years building up to them. 

*Yes, I am predicting that AMOLAD is better than the album coming out next year.  In fact, the next album might be considerably worse than AMOLAD, judging by the general Maiden trend.

Invader said:
Me too, sort of.  Chains of Misery is hideously bad and extremely annoying to listen to, whereas Chains of Misery is just... forgettable.   

And now I understand...

Perhaps it’s not that cool to realize for TXF admirers (who rate FOTD as their worst album) that it has things in common with FOTD but…….

Invader said:
Though I agree with you Foro that FotD and TXF have some joining elements,

I'd say many joining elements.
The most typical elements from FOTD return on TXF. The simple rockers (and the accompanying lyrics) don't, but for the rest many elements do return. I don't mean to say that the quality of those albums is the same, that is not my point. But look:

The ballad
Wasting Love --> 2 A.M (The band must have liked the stuff Janick did on FOTD and let him bring another piece of moody music to TXF, accompanied by Steve and Blaze – Later again the same kind of mood on Como Estais Amigos, this time without Steve).

The acoustic guitars
There are quite some acoustics on both albums. Fear Is The Key has some strange fast ones, but so has The Unbeliever. Of course there are many more acoustic parts but I am not going to list them all now. The similarities are obvious.

One short aggressive, fast track
Be Quick Or Be Dead --> Man On The Edge: Janick's input and style again import for both albums.

The long calm intro's
See my previous post.

The psychological war song
Afraid To Shoot Strangers -> Fortunes Of War
I know that Maiden did more "war" songs, but never before like this one. This deeper, psychological aspect of war started with the album Fear Of The Dark and is continued on TXF and on later albums.

Perhaps there are more connections but this is quite a lot already.

Invader said:
...I've never seen Fear of the Dark as an album with feeling and patience.  I always saw it more as a half-arsed attempt to go back to the golden age albums without letting go of No Prayer completely.

On FOTD I don't see much in common with the golden age. Not even the slightest form of attempt. On FOTD Maiden explores new directions, quite some of them are those elements that come back on TXF.

When I compare NPFTD with FOTD, I already told the change in sound and use of acoustic guitars. I realize there are rockers, so to speak on both albums, but the rockers on FOTD are more rock'n'roll-rockers and not half as aggressive and in-your-face as the ones on NPFTD. That's how I hear the differences, but everyone can have their own ideas (and ears) of course. ;)

On NPFTD there are some silly lyrics (Holy Smoke and BYDTTS) so that is something in common with 1 or 2 songs of FOTD.

Invader said:
those two albums are in my opinion miles apart.  One is a balanced, interesting, and unified album with direction, drive, and passion.  The other is a halfway-there effort lacking in enthusiasm, unity, and interest.  Maiden only (IMO) reached the balance and unity of The X Factor at the height of their two Bruce eras with Seventh Son of a Seventh Son and A Matter of Life and Death*, both of which were the result of years building up to them. 

I can not hear from FOTD that it lacked unity, or that it lacked passion or interest.
I still agree with you that I like TXF better than FOTD, I find that too. These are matters of opinion.

But when I solely look at the ingredients of both albums, I'd say FOTD is a mix of different things going on (some people find them too different ;) ), where TXF picks up the better elements from FOTD (which are the moody, serious atmospheres, the long/calm intros, and the acoustic guitars) and leaves out the worse ones (less serious lyrics / shorter rockier songs). "Better" and "worse" are also subjective terms, but the band must have seen it this way, or else they wouldn't have taken/rejected those elements.

I really saw the return of the "epic" (Fear of the Dark, Afraid to Shoot Strangers) after NPFTD as very Golden Year-ish, and the fast songs are also not really "new" per se (Aces High etc.).  The long calm intro can be seen on the likes of Alexander the Great and Hallowed Be Thy Name.  I haven't listened to Fear of the Dark much lately (I listened to it yesterday after writing my post), though, so it might be that I'm remembering more similarities to the Golden Years than there really are.  The acoustic guitars I partly forgot/ignored, so thanks for pointing that out. :)

And a short note about lyrics: I think Bring Your Daughter... and Hooks in You are definitely silly, but I really don't see Holy Smoke in the same light.  Holy Smoke is about a rather serious subject and one that isn't strange to Maiden (religion), and though it uses a rather satirical approach, I don't think the lyrics are silly.  They're the best part of the song IMO.

I see what you mean with those intros, they were done before (still not that often as these days)

You're right about the lyrics of Holy Smoke. I guess I had the video clip in my mind when I wrote that.

;)

Hmm.  Fear of the Dark...many more songs on it that I actually like, whereas NPFTD there's two songs I like, three songs I tolerate, and the rest I skip.

SinisterMinisterX said:
This is like asking: would you prefer getting a 10-pound weight dropped on your foot, or a 20-pound weight?

ATSS and title track make FotD win.
Also: NPFTD is a steaming pile of elephant dung, only capable of surpassing Limp-Bizkit-level suckage.

Precisely.

i always enjoyed Wasting Love. It's the best Bruce's perfomance in these two albums, in my opinion, and musically is great too.

The Song FOTD is somewhat too slow in the album, while live is great. ATSS works well in both sides. I also enjoy that punch in the face of BQoBD... From here to eternity is alright, though i'm a little tired of listening to it.

The production of this album is of high quality. Went also number 1.

However it has some questionable songs, in terms of Maiden standards.

NPFTD was my first Maiden record. Mostly of the songs are more or less balanced. There isn't a standout or fillers, so it reminds a lot of Killers (but Killers has far better songs). I rediscover this album in recent years, after despising it for ages. Tailgunner is a decent effort. The production is quite raw.

So, i like both albums, they're not the greatest in Maiden discography, but i don't think they're bad.

But overall, i think FOTD wins.

Back