Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

To me sounds like a Live concert in a studio or just like Steve hears all the gigs from the stage monitors. He just want to hear drums and his bass.

I wish Dave was louder in the final section before the final chorus. When he plays the rhythm under Janicks lead and does some upstrokes. That's such a cool part of the song.

This tour was begging for a DVD due to the amazing set and stage shenanigans and they only went for the audio capture? *sigh* And yes... the production has its fails and there are a good amount of misses here and there. And I can can live with that but man: Bruce sounds really off !!! :( And I mean off in a shocking way like making Book Of Souls Live Volume sound like prime time Bruce. And that's strange since only recently did I managed to listen to a nice sounding 2018 Stockholm show footage of the band playing Aces High (shown below) and like many of you already said Bruce sounds pretty decent (almost as good as he sounded in the Somewhere Back In Time Tour). What happened?

Hell... he even does a good job nailing the demanding Where Eagles Dare. What a drop of performance regarding these shows and both Rock In Rio and Nights Of The Living Dead

Last edited:
This tour was begging for a DVD due to the amazing set and stage shenanigans and they only went for the audio capture? *sigh* And yes... the production has its fails and there are a good amount of misses here and there. And I can can live with that but man: Bruce sounds really off !!! :( And I mean off in a shocking way like making Book Of Souls Live Volume sound like prime time Bruce. And that's strange since only recently did I managed to listen to a nice sounding 2018 Stockholm show footage of the band playing Aces High (shown below) and like many of you already said Bruce sounds pretty decent (almost as good as he sounded in the Somewhere Back In Time Tour). What happened?

Hell... he even does a good job nailing the demanding Where Eagles Dare. What a drop of performance regarding these shows and both Rock In Rio and Nights Of The Living Dead

Yeah, I was listening to the new Sign Of The Cross today and realised that Bruce really sounds like an old man there. Very similar to 2016-17 imo.

The Bruce 2018 vs 2019 has been raised quite many times already, but I have to admit that it does bother me a little bit as well. Maybe it's not so much that alone, but along with the (at least from what we've gathered so far) production issues, Nights of the Dead just seems to land somehwere around being "ok nice" instead of being "absolutely great" representation of the tour and the band/Bruce at their best.

Production issues aside and focusing on the performance only, it might very well be that this is much closer to what we'll hear the next time they're on the road though, as opposed to highlight moments from 2018, which was in many ways, sort of a peaking summer for post-cancer Bruce.

Then again, quite often when the "well it's not to be expected that Bruce could do that again..." has been raised, he has eventually blown us away... :p

We'll see. But yeah, just to highlight the contrast in the vocal performance, here's another neat 2018 clip ("GOD BE WITH YOU!" - FUCKING GREAT!):

As for the new Sign of the Cross, I think it was a solid performance. Not quite as intense and powerful at the vocal department as some of the better versions of that one from LOTB tour, but that's basically what the folks above have already said. Overall, good and tight performance. While the thin production is disappointing, I'd expect Steve & Nicko to shine at numbers like WED.

And Nicko's drumming!!

Yeah, he's a beast there! In general, I'd say that The Legacy of the Beast has been fantastic run for Nicko. Should it end up being his last, it would definitely be a worthy on-stage swan song for him.

Yeah, he's a beast there! In general, I'd say that The Legacy of the Beast has been fantastic run for Nicko.

Agree. He sounds/and play fantastic during the whole LOTB tour. Also, his drum sound live was improved a lot during this tour.

And that's strange since only recently did I managed to listen to a nice sounding 2018 Stockholm show footage of the band playing Aces High (shown below) and like many of you already said Bruce sounds pretty decent (almost as good as he sounded in the Somewhere Back In Time Tour). What happened?
One of the absolute best shows I've been to. Why the hell didn't they pick this one?

I don't think you guys need to be worrying about Bruce so much. It's well documented that he was ill on and off for the American tour.

At the beginning he had a cold and you could see him going for a box of tissues during guitar solos etc to blow his nose. He got over that after a few shows and sounded great part way through the US leg.

Then when they went to South America he caught a bug (I think the whole band had it if I remember right) to the point that he lost quite a bit of weight by the time they played Rio.

As for why they released this show rather than a different one, it looks like the release of the Mexico shows was planned for a while. The IM Facebook posted this in October:

So things were in motion to release the Mexico shows as a love album for over a year, and it seems Bruce's voice being shot due to illness wasn't going to get in the way of that :-/

I don't think you guys need to be worrying about Bruce so much. It's well documented that he was ill on and off for the American tour.

At the beginning he had a cold and you could see him going for a box of tissues during guitar solos etc to blow his nose. He got over that after a few shows and sounded great part way through the US leg.

Then when they went to South America he caught a bug (I think the whole band had it if I remember right) to the point that he lost quite a bit of weight by the time they played Rio.

As for why they released this show rather than a different one, it looks like the release of the Mexico shows was planned for a while. The IM Facebook posted this in October:

So things were in motion to release the Mexico shows as a love album for over a year, and it seems Bruce's voice being shot due to illness wasn't going to get in the way of that :-/

They released a special labelled beer for the Mexico shows when they were being played, they obviously considered them a big gig.

What I really liked in 2018 shows that I saw, Bruce did sound amazing. For example I think he handled the last Aces High scream better and different than on for example on the Flight 666. But, I still haven't done my study on how did the rest 2008 shows go and how in comparison to 2018.

If the live album was being planned for over a year they are a bunch of liars at Maiden Towers. But I suppose that's nothing new.

Back