Nights of the Dead, Legacy of the Beast: Live in Mexico City (new live album)

PRR is pretty good, I also felt like his guitar sound on that album was pretty close to TFF. Like closer to what he may have envisioned originally. Haven’t been impressed by the sound of Psycho Motel or S/K.

The second Psycho Motel sounds better. I think some things sound great, Something Real, in the end of the song a lot of stuff is going on and it's all pretty audible and punchy. I think he knows how to make modern metal.

I thought it would be nice to share Rod's comments from the Nights Of The Dead booklet about the stage set and the songs:

WAR

It’s all well and good deciding on concept of using our mobile game Legacy Of The Beast to provide the inspiration for a retrospective tour, the idea being to go through different worlds on stage – but how do you do that? Inspiration came when watching World War II in colour, see that “ack- ack” gun blasting away, see that webbing, that camouflage… Now if that stage production was covered with this, hiding the production for a second world, well… And if that were the case, you start with a military / war theme… and if you do that, what opens the show… has to be “Aces High”, of course it has…With the Churchill speech naturally… Let’s have a Spitfire then, close to full size, flying on stage… Then “Where Eagles Dare”… Love to watch Nicko on this song, As its time changes are so brilliant and tough for a drummer!!... We will need a gap after “Aces High” to remove the Spitfire without it being seen… Use the bit from the movie… No, hard to get permission from Clint Eastwood so Bruce makes an intro long enough to remove the Spitfire… Cool backdrop with the snow and cable car too… Ok, but if we have a war theme we should also include “2 Minutes to Midnight” and “The Trooper”… of course, classic backdrops too… And wouldn’t “The Clansman” be great here? – Underrated song, very strong, different pace… PERFECT, and we can do really strong backdrop for this too.

RELIGION

And then we remove the camouflage, what should we see… lets talk to “Hangman” about designing a massive cathedral on stage .. so our World No.2 will be “Relligion”, with the removal of the webbing revealing a spectacular scene coloured by amazing stained glass windows – Let’s put Eddie in few but don’t overdo it…! We will need a long intro for the next song to make a changeover. Lets try to make it sound like the structure is grinding up out to the ground, tectonic plates rumbling… And what song to go into … “Revelations” is perfect, great lyrics and build and drama… So what else for religion?... Let’s do “For The Greater Good Of God” – A real musical extravaganza and a cornerstone of the set , sweeping and Majestic! Lets go a bit Pagan too, religion in the broadest sense, and lift the tempo again too with “The Wicker Man”. Also adds another great backdrop!... And then a real surprise… “Sign Of The Cross” is another overlooked classic, but not anymore!! … Let”s have that in … The pyro looks so great up there in the lighting rig too, Another dimension…. Bruce was delighted we included “Flight Of Icarus”… A song we hadn’t played since 1986. He wanted a huge Icarus model to hang at the back… Look so great and when it is deflated, it actually collapses naturally in such a sad and emotive way… By keeping the stained glass window arches but replacing the windows with black and with special lighting, we actually made the stage set for this look very Grecian, which was a bonus world for us , World No. 2.5!... Next? Well of course “Fear Of The Dark” had to be included as it’s such a communal song for us and the fans now.

HELL

And so into the 3rd and final world and of course , it just had to be … HELL!... We had to accommodate “The Number Of The Beast” and of course it works for “Iron Maiden” too. Which , as you well know we always close the set with. So the whole scene transformed again for this final set piece … Strange creatures appeared in the arches, the chandeliers came down again , aflame, gargoyles appeared on stage and a backdrop “Into the jaws of Hell” appeared. And the pyro hell…Looked Great! The backdrop changed for “Iron Maiden” and then naturally a monstrous Eddie devil head appeared, as it is tradition, for the end of the song, staring around over the fans. Then of course we really had to include “The Evil That Man Do”, “Hallowed Be Thy Name” and “Run To The Hills” for you guys as the encores – We do hope you all enjoyed the setlist as much as the band loved playing it.

So i'm listening to now to my triple vinyl copy of this album, and I'm not sure if this was mastered differently or what, but I think it sounds great. It still feels a bit lacking in low-end, but I can hear all three guitars, bass, drums, and Bruceman clear as a bell. A Clear Bell. Anyone listen to the vinyl and if you checked "yes", what did you think?

So i'm listening to now to my triple vinyl copy of this album, and I'm not sure if this was mastered differently or what, but I think it sounds great. It still feels a bit lacking in low-end, but I can hear all three guitars, bass, drums, and Bruceman clear as a bell. A Clear Bell.

Interesting! I own the vinyl, but much to my shame I didn't end up giving it a spin around the release... I enjoyed the digital versions, but it wasn't too mind-blowing, so the "buzz" kind of died soon for me and for reason or another I still haven't listened the vinyl version.

It's about time to do it, then! :)

Interesting! I own the vinyl, but much to my shame I didn't end up giving it a spin around the release... I enjoyed the digital versions, but it wasn't too mind-blowing, so the "buzz" kind of died soon for me and for reason or another I still haven't listened the vinyl version.

It's about time to do it, then! :)
Let me know what you think! Again, it's still a bit thin sounding, but at least on my modest equipment, I can hear every instrument and it sounds crystal clear to me.

Yes, it won't be released officially. As for me, I don't think it needs to anyway. It's a great, old school mix and the video is of high enough quality. What's missing though is a HD version. It was broadcast on the HD channel as well, but there was some techical difficulties anyway in half the country regarding the HD channel.I haven't found a recording of it anyway.

In any case, everything is most definitely saved in SVT's archives. Pretty sure Maiden could purchase the rights to it anyway, if they don't already own it as part of the original contract or something. They really should just do it, release the HD version, as it is, package it and make some money with close to zero effort. What's the problem?

I've talked to SVT and unfortunately the concert is not saved according to them. So no chance of rerun from their side.
It would be if Maiden management got to to take part of the source video after the show.

Yes, it won't be released officially. As for me, I don't think it needs to anyway. It's a great, old school mix and the video is of high enough quality. What's missing though is a HD version. It was broadcast on the HD channel as well, but there was some techical difficulties anyway in half the country regarding the HD channel.I haven't found a recording of it anyway.

In any case, everything is most definitely saved in SVT's archives. Pretty sure Maiden could purchase the rights to it anyway, if they don't already own it as part of the original contract or something. They really should just do it, release the HD version, as it is, package it and make some money with close to zero effort. What's the problem?

I've talked to SVT and unfortunately the concert is not saved according to them. So no chance of rerun from their side.
It would be if Maiden management got to to take part of the source video after the show.
I hope I understand this correctly as being the broadcast from that The Early Days show in Ullevi 2005.

It was not broadcast in HD.

SVT hadn't even launched HD back in 2005 . SVT didn't even test HD broadcasts until 2006. A live broadcast in HD from them wasn't done in 2007.

The first HD broadcast in Sweden was done in the autumn of 2005. At that time, it was on a channel operating under the Canal+ umbrella. It became subsequently wider until 2006. Ourselves in southern Sweden, we didn't even have a HD compatible TV until 2008.

Here's a PDTV quality of that show. I dare to say that it's the best available version of this.
"To all you looking at this at your TV: If you're bootlegging this! Make sure you send it to all your friends! Not only the Nordic ones!"

Last edited:
Back