New to Maiden

Andres

Prowler
Hi there.
I am new to this forum. I just wanted to share a little story and a point of view with you guys.
I'm from Costa Rica, and Maiden is going to play here for the first time ever, in February 26th. There is great expectation in my country about this show. I have to say that I've never been a Maiden fan myself; in fact, I had only been exposed to very few of their songs. I do remember my two older cousins (hardcore maiden fans) listening to the classic albums when I was a kid (I remember seeing the cover of The number of the beast about 20 years ago, and being scared to death; I was only 6 years old). Now, of course I have realized the magnitude and importance of this upcoming concert. I´ll be attending it with my 2 older cousins, which by the way still can't believe that Maiden will be playing here!
Well, long story short, since I heard about the show, I've been listening to pretty much every Maiden record, so I can truly enjoy the concert. Now that I've heard almost every song ever made by the band, I wanted to share my opinion with you guys. I thought you would find amusing and maybe even refreshing the opinion of someone who is pretty much listening for the first time to the songs that you uphold as sacred. First thing I have to say, is that the 2 first records of the band (Iron Maiden and Killers) sound like a complete different band, and they are awsome!! Man, I never thought Iron Maiden could sound like this! The sound is very raw, the songs are short, and they have kind of a punk-ish thing going on. I also think they sounded a lot like Led Zeppelin in some of the songs, like on Wrathchild for instance. I have to say that this sound was a real shocker for me. I always thought of Maiden as a very intricate band, with really long songs and complicated guitar solos. But this was really not the case for the first couple of albums.
Now, regarding the other albums (mainly the classic ones: The Number of the beast, Piece of mind and Powerslave), I didn't like them as much... (haha I know, you must be cursing me by now). I know that probably not one of you will share my opinion, but I think the first 2 albums are WAY better than the rest. And yes, I know that by stating this I'm pretty much saying that Di'Anno is a better singer than Dickinson. Well, to me, he is. But of course this is only a matter of taste. You have to take into consideration that you're reading a post written by someone who grew up in the grunge era, so it is understandable that I prefer the type of raw and energetic music that is portrayed in the early albums.
Ok, now you all can tell me how wrong I am  :). Thank you for reading and sorry for rambling for so long.

Hi Andres, and welcome aboard.

Let me be the first to say that your opinions are your own, and you might differ but everyone's allowed that.  As long as you respect our varying points of view, you'll do fine.  I sure hope that you enjoy the concert, from what I can tell, everyone and their mom will be going to the concert and hopefully it sets a new tradition of hard rocking in Central America.

Im interested to know what an un-biased first time listener thinks of the blaze albums? Do you prefer Blaze over Dickinson as well?

I dont curse you for not liking the dickinson albums, in fact, many long term fans have always upheld their opinion that the Paul years were Maiden's best.
I dont completely disagree with it though I do think the rest of Maiden's discography easily stands up for itself but perhaps in a different genre of music almost to Iron Maiden and Killers. I firmly believe that all of versions of Maiden have been great and enjoy all of them but I accept the people that do not (unless they do so without reason like with the whole Blaze-bashing thing).

Glad to hear someone keep an open mind for once even after not liking Maiden at first but still being interested in their other material.
You are in fact the most "correct" person anyone can be, just for keeping an open mind about the music, keep it up  :ok:

Hi LooseCannon and Ardius. First of all, thank you for making me feel welcome to this forum. I really appreciate it.
Regarding the Blaze and Dickinson comparison... man that's a hard one!! Listening to the albums, I think I find Blaze's style a little more appealing. He sings in a lower, deeper tone that fits better into what I like. However, I think that Dickinson voice is ideal for the type of songs recorded in the albums where he sings. But the X Factor and Virtual XI definately work better with Blaze's voice.
I think that Bruce's type of singing is definately better for "epic" songs, while Blaze's works best for more introspective, thoughtful ones. 
By the way, please excuse my english, it is not my native language.

Andres said:

No worries. I was just thinking that you speak very good english. :) .

Interesting story and opinion you tell. I hope you and all your friends will like the concert in Costa Rica. :)

Andres said:
Hi LooseCannon and Ardius. First of all, thank you for making me feel welcome to this forum. I really appreciate it.
Regarding the Blaze and Dickinson comparison... man that's a hard one!! Listening to the albums, I think I find Blaze's style a little more appealing. He sings in a lower, deeper tone that fits better into what I like. However, I think that Dickinson voice is ideal for the type of songs recorded in the albums where he sings. But the X Factor and Virtual XI definately work better with Blaze's voice.
I think that Bruce's type of singing is definately better for "epic" songs, while Blaze's works best for more introspective, thoughtful ones. 

Interesting, thanks for the input! This gives me some more ammo to use against some certain Blaze-bashers I know on other forums  :ok:

It is always nice to see new points of view and you are not the first person on this board to make that assessment. You should post on the Commentary (where you can voice your opinion on every album and song), I think you'll enjoy the exchanges that go on. Tambien visita el foro en español!!!! :D At any rate hope you stick around and enjoy the concert, you will not be disappointed.

Andres, nice to meet someone with opinion on singers closing to mine :) My maiden-singer-top-three is Blaze, Paul, Bruce with reasons you've said. Blaze is darker which suits me, Paul is - well - refreshing? Raw? I do not know, but I like his style. Bruce is great on stage, probably beats Blaze and Paul here, but on studio records, they are all very good.

Yeah, I used to visit a forum where not praising Bruce or attempting to note that Blaze is, in fact, quite a good singer was met with anger and hatred :) So I stick to maidenfans forum even though english is not my native language :)

Welcome Andres. I find it difficult myself to choose a favorite between Bruce and Paul. I think the right assessment is that they are both perfect for the era they represent. I am not a Blaze basher but don't care for those 2 albums much myself. My hope is that near the end, the band can do a tour with each front man present, doing their respective material. Personalities may get in the way but stranger things have happened. (Somehow, Eddie, Dave and Sammy can coexist....sometimes).

Anyway, I know you will enjoy the show. I think seeing them live just might change your opinion of the first few Bruce albums. Seeing Iron Maiden in person is definitely a force to be reckoned with..........

Oh Well, wherever, wherever you are,
Iron Maiden's gonna get you, no matter how far.

Back