New Orleans

I'm not sure if anybody on this forum watches American Football games, but did anyone else watch last Monday's game?  The two teams playing were the Atlanta Falcons and New Orleans Saints.  This game had gotten alot of previous hype due to the fact that they were playing in New Orleans' new stadium.  The Saints haven't played in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina hit about a year ago([http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Katrina).  So of course this game was going to be somthing special, but it turned out to be a big promotional opportunity for the NFL.

The NFL took the terrible past incidents in New Orleans and twisted it into a big commercial ploy.  Before the game, there were performances by U2 and Greenday to promote this thing "to help revive New Orleans music."  U2? Greenday?  When I think New Orleans music (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_orleans#Music), those are 2 bands that in no way relate to "New Orleans music."  So then the game starts.  It seemed like after every single play the announcers mentioned something about the disastrous Hurricane Katrina.  Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse, the announcers start interviewing (during the game) Spike Lee about his new documentary on the natural disaster.  So as the game is being played, Spike Lee is going on about how long it took for the US government to respond to the hurricane (blah, blah, blah).  To make matters worse, Spike Lee is decked out in Saints clothing.  The last time I checked, he was a proud New Yorker raised in Brooklyn.  SELL OUT!  By this time, I couldn't take it any longer.  This crap was making me sick to my stomach.  To think, people will even used tragic events like the destruction of New Orleans to make a buck.  That is utterly disgusting.

I really had to get this off my chest.  Is anyone else pissed off about this?

giveadamnprogress8zv.gif

This may sound bad but at least it kept Bono away from ireland for a few days!

SickCert said:
This may sound bad but at least it kept Bono away from ireland for a few days!

But the question remains: did he order silence to clap his hands?  :innocent:

The NFL is not the only one doing that. My mother currently has DISH NETWORK as her satellite tv provider and they have one of the most offensive ads I have EVER seen. It starts out like any "oh we never knew this could happen to us" insurance ad, a woman is saying how hurracanes (in florida) are an ever present danger and horrible things. Then she says "but when it takes the roof off your home, THEN it's personal." (that is actually kind of funny, what, does it HAVE to destroy YOUR house for you to care? anywho, moving on)

Then it goes on to say, "you feel so isolated without your Television." WHAT!!! Take a look around lady! you don't exactly live in the middle of nowhere! And then procedes to say, "Thank God DISH NETWORK was there." and then something around the lines, of "Dish network, making things happen in your community." Um... how about food, water and shelter? how about putting the ROOF of your house back on BEFORE you start missing The Daily Show? I almost wish I was a hurricane victim so I can sue these idiots for minimalizing and trivializing what people actually go through in a hurricane.

Point being we live in a world where people will use ANYTHING ( "nothing's sacred anymore") to make a buck.

Point being we live in a world where people will use ANYTHING ( "nothing's sacred anymore") to make a buck.

I have to agree, we have just hosted the Ryder cup here in little Ireland - the businesses raked in millions!

But lets go back to new orleans, i havent heard anything about this disaster hit area since about 2 weeks into the floods! The reporters went back to hunting politics and New orleans didnt happen i suppose?

You expected something less from them?

All professional sports organizations exist to make loads of money. There's no other reason.

Many of the fans still dont bother with the club since the takeover by Mr.G.

I think Man City have never seen so many fans at their gate! :eek:

IronDuke said:
You expected something less from them?

All professional sports organizations exist to make loads of money. There's no other reason.

I just really don't like the road the NFL is going down.  I used to be a pretty big fan of basketball (NBA) when I was younger.  I started to stop watching games when it seemed like the players and the league itself cared more about its image than the game... kinda like how some bands start to care about their image more than their music.  The NFL is going to be the new NBA in a few years.

I saw a commercial the other day that was promoting a model or somthing of the Wolrd Trade Center Towers that used to be in New York City.  From my understanding, the guy on the commercial said somthing about ashes of the remains of the towers being made into the model.  HOW SICK IS THAT?

So hes saying its made of the remains of several thousand human bodies, minus the rubble of course.
Thats the era we live in im afraid.

Maiden Madness said:
I just really don't like the road the NFL is going down.  I used to be a pretty big fan of basketball (NBA) when I was younger.  I started to stop watching games when it seemed like the players and the league itself cared more about its image than the game... kinda like how some bands start to care about their image more than their music.  The NFL is going to be the new NBA in a few years.

That's why I stick to Hockey :p, though actually, with all this third jersey crap in recent years and teams changing their normal jerseys 3 times in 5 years says a lot about them caring about image.... :(

I saw a commercial the other day that was promoting a model or somthing of the Wolrd Trade Center Towers that used to be in New York City.  From my understanding, the guy on the commercial said somthing about ashes of the remains of the towers being made into the model.  HOW SICK IS THAT?
What's sick about it? How symbolic, The Phoenix rises from it's ashes, he looks pretty healthy to me.

Onhell said:
That's why I stick to Hockey :p, though actually, with all this third jersey crap in recent years and teams changing their normal jerseys 3 times in 5 years says a lot about them caring about image.... :(

However, Onhell, you got to admit, changing Anaheim's image is good.  They went from a commercially-sounding team "Mighty Ducks" to "Ducks".

Maiden Madness said:

Onhell said:
What's sick about it? How symbolic, The Phoenix rises from it's ashes, he looks pretty healthy to me.

I agree with Onhell.  It shows the terrorists that America will not be defeated.  I wish they'd rebuild the World Trade Centres rather than what they have now in NYC; that would be true Phoenix Rising.

Onhell said:

I never looked at it like that, but I highly doubt that whatever company is selling this thing thought of that.  Watch.  Now I'm going to turn on my TV and see another commercial about this model.  The guy's going to say, "The model symbolizes the Phoenix rising from it's ashes.  So metaphorical you just have to buy it."  Personally, I still don't like the idea of having that thing in my house.

Onhell said:

I hardly think symbolism is what the company has in mind, except as a way to make money.

Raven said:
I hardly think symbolism is what the company has in mind, except as a way to make money.

Personally, I could care less what the company thinks.  For me it symbolizes and embodies the idea that the terrorists have not won.

Genghis Khan said:
Personally, I could care less what the company thinks.  For me it symbolizes and embodies the idea that the terrorists have not won.

Not wanting to turn this into a rant, but I don't think the terrorists aimed to bring down the entire American system in a single strike...they simply attempted to cause death and destruction, which they did.  This, in turn, has caused the U.S. to make a complete arse of itself (with a little help from my government) in two countries...if the terrorists simply wished to help propogate their jihad, then America and the UK have certainly helped them with that.

Not wanting to sound too cynical, either, I do respect that the Americans feel that they have overcome a great tragedy in the Twin Towers attacks, but I do not think they have won the 'War on Terror', if there can be any winners in what is an ideological, trans-national struggle.

Raven said:
Not wanting to turn this into a rant, but I don't think the terrorists aimed to bring down the entire American system in a single strike...they simply attempted to cause death and destruction, which they did.  This, in turn, has caused the U.S. to make a complete arse of itself (with a little help from my government) in two countries...if the terrorists simply wished to help propogate their jihad, then America and the UK have certainly helped them with that.

Not wanting to sound too cynical, either, I do respect that the Americans feel that they have overcome a great tragedy in the Twin Towers attacks, but I do not think they have won the 'War on Terror', if there can be any winners in what is an ideological, trans-national struggle.

You're right.  I did not mean to imply that the war on terrorism is over by any stretch of the imagination.  It definitely requires international co-operation, not cowboy diplomacy.  :ok:
If the two towers ever do get rebuilt it would be one key step to ideological victory.

EDIT: Rebuilding New Orleans is also important.  (Not terrorism related I know).

Back