New Maiden video game in the works?

Shadow

Deluxe Edition
Staff member
From Maiden Norway.com:

"Norwegian videogame developer Hybris is, in cooperation with Phantom Management, developing a new game built on Iron Maiden's music and of course Eddie. The game has been awarded a grant from the Norwegian Film Fund for the first phase of development for this new game which has been given the working title PLAY WITH MADNESS.

The dramatic settings for this new game is a mix of the Northern Mythology gods (Odin, Thor and the others) and Maidens universe. Play With Madness contains a fantastic gallery of characters. The idea is that the Northern Gods reach out to Eddie and the band when Ragnarok (The end of the world) is approaching.

The action kicks off with Eddie beeing given an assignment from Odin, and starts his World Tour which brings him to a bloody battle between Norwegian Vikings and Japanese Samurai, amongst other things. The player will be thrown into Ragnarok with the force of Heavy Metal!"

:blink:

:blink:

Oh, dear God.

Games company CEO: 'What to kids these days in Sweden like?'

Developers: 'Oh, all different things; World of Warcraft, Fantasy mythology, Samurai, Iron Maiden'

CEO: 'Winner!'

Ed Hunter wasn't so bad.  It was comparable to many average games from its era.  Unfortunately, it was incomparable to the exceptional games from just before it in a similar genre (IE Doom and Wolfenstein 3D).  It's difficult to use a game like this to break borders - truly, I'd prefer them to develop an All Metal (or even All Maiden) version of Guitar Hero before I saw another crappy Eddie does stuff game.

LooseCannon said:
I'd prefer them to develop an All Metal (or even All Maiden) version of Guitar Hero before I saw another crappy Eddie does stuff game.

Agreed, but only as an expansion pack. I actually like the variety from classic rock to metal in guitar hero (both I and II) and the variety is even greater in the upcoming garage band or whatever they're calling it.

I have found Guitar Hero to be maddeningly difficult to play for songs which I actually know how to play on a real guitar. My hands want to play the actual song by force of habit instead of the game version.

I have extreme confidence a new Maiden video game will be much better than Ed Hunter ... because it's impossible for it to be worse.

SinisterMinisterX said:
I have extreme confidence a new Maiden video game will be much better than Ed Hunter ... because it's impossible for it to be worse.

You have more faith than I do.  This whole thread has depressed me horribly.  :puke:

SinisterMinisterX said:

Things can ALWAYS get/be worse...

I really hope we're dealing with either a Norwegian April Fool's Day, a misunderstanding or something that is not endorsed by the band.

Well, let's also hope the new game isn't made by a company that nobody's ever heard of.  Oh...wait.  Norwegians.

Nothing on Hybrid AS's website (http://www.hybrisfilm.com -- see "what we do" link) suggests any experience whatsoever in electronic games.  Nor is there any press release about this project on their site, that I could find.  This is a bit of a relief, as it strongly suggests this story is either a hoax, or a project that ultimately will never find the light of day. 

cornfedhick said:
Nothing on Hybrid AS's website (http://www.hybrisfilm.com -- see "what we do" link) suggests any experience whatsoever in electronic games.  Nor is there any press release about this project on their site, that I could find.  This is a bit of a relief, as it strongly suggests this story is either a hoax, or a project that ultimately will never find the light of day. 

You never know! it might hide in the shadows of their secret laboratories and the scientists will go mad, MAD I tell you looking for it and once they are carried away in straight jackets spewing from their quivering lips, "I swear i left it in the top drawer!!!" as their eyes dance wildly from side to side, then and only then will it poke it's Eddie-like face and slowly climb to the vents searching for what all creature under the sun yearns for.... FREEDOM! After a week of traveling the vent system and living off of pigeon's unlucky enough to cross paths with such horrid creature, such, aberration and offense to nature , it finally sees, there, at the end of the east vent of the human resources building.... a light. It slithers quickly, eyes wild, grunting excitedly, licking its mummified lips towards the light. Is it the ever so coveted outside world? The afterlife? God? or just the cealing light of Burt's office in the human resources building? Alas it is the first of all possible answers! This causes it great pleasure as it hops from foot to foot looking like a mad jester to whom fate also played the cruel joke of making laying one's eyes upon it unbearable. It jumps... to freedom. The wind stretches its dry skin to its limits opening its eye sockets even further as they watches the pavement get closer and closer and then... SPLAT. The poor creature had no notion of height and physics and that the fall would in fact... kill it. As it lay there, finally seeing the light day only to be enveloped in darkness once again by oh, twisted cruel fate, on S. 5th Ave. in front of the human resources building an 18-wheeler making its way to Wal-Mart carrying the new copies of Starcraft II and Guitar Hero 3 steamrolls over it dashing any hopes that since it is a game based on a zombie, it might have survived the fall. then a 1960's VW bug severs its right arm and a playful Golden Retriever named Toto, because his owner, Mindy, a 20-something, up-and-coming accountant, is a sucker for 80's cheese, decides to relieve the pressure that is torturing its kidneys on our poor, decrepid, mutilated farce of an Iron Maiden game, that after he fought to see the light of day, a chance to live, to survive and be played and enjoyed by thousands of die-hard fans, has ultimately suffered the mother of all humiliations. After having what could be called a bad day, he was pissed on by a dog....

:uhm:....okay.

Actually, Onhell's insane rant might make a good animated short film. 

Personally, I like to think that the good folks at Hybris were hired to prepare a multimedia attraction for the Norwegian Mythological Museum or a booth presentation for the "Save the Fjords" Society (this, apparently, is the sort of thing that Hybris actually does) and that one of their designers simply snapped, creating an animation of Eddie attacking the Norse gods or the fjords with an axe (or a samurai sword, a la Maiden Japan -- the Maiden Norway post seems to suggest samurai elements). 

Let's not set the bar too high. I'd be happy with a simple boxing game, where you control Eddie and your opponent - your only opponent, in every fight - is Sharon Osbourne.

Yes, I went there. Yes, I brought that up again. >:[

SinisterMinisterX said:
Let's not set the bar too high. I'd be happy with a simple boxing game, where you control Eddie and your opponent - your only opponent, in every fight - is Sharon Osbourne.

Yes, I went there. Yes, I brought that up again. >:[

That reminds me of Super Mario Bros. or Sonic the hedgehog, where in every level you essentially fight the same character at the end of each level... I think this idea has true potential.

Back