'New' Band/Album/Song Reviews

I don't know how many people here will like this but fuck it, I'm gonna post it anyways since it has been a pretty cool discovery and I'm really loving the album so far.

A band from Sweden called Goat and their album "World Music". You really have to listen to this since the music is sorta hard to pinpoint but they play a sort of funky psychedelic rock n' roll with influences from world music such as African tribal rhythms and Latin. Have to listen for yourselves :)

I don't know if this video is their own original video. I think it could be fan made but not sure. So just listen to the tune.

I want to see this live, looks like a blast!

Yup. I realize it is probably not everyone's cup of tea but I'm totally digging it. It really works when you've got the entire album on because there is so many things happening in each song. Also I love the way that they incorporate those hypnotic tribal things into their music - makes you totally zone out and just groove to the tunes while putting a big smile on your face at the same time :D

I bet it's good live. Dedicated musicians who are all indivually focused on what they're doing

Yeah! Judging from the live video is looks like they perform the songs quite well! The atmosphere must really be something with everyone in the crowd moving and dancing to the songs.

You know, I almost picked up Alien at a record store a few weeks ago. I've heard really good things about it, it'll definitely be the first one I go to. Heard good things about The New Black as well, but not as much.
Well few weeks ago I found this two disc comp at a store I go to. 1994-2006: The Chaos Years which has one best of CD and a DVD of them at Download along with some music videos and other live cuts. Its been sitting on my shelf collecting dust until tonight when I decided to check out the DVD. I'm seriously impressed. The Download thing was probably the most entertaining 40 minutes of my day. The whole spectacle was just so over the top, and the way they presented themselves, I couldn't help but to love it. The music was intense but at the same time it was hilarious. The tongue-in-cheek "we're better than everyone" extended past Devin's crowd banter and into the music, which is really well done I think. Lots of laughing but at the same time a lot of :rocker: Loved when he told the audience to stop clapping and his little comments throughout the performance. Good stuff.

Hey thanks for this Devin Townsend stuff Mosh! I'd never heard of him before (the name sounded vaguely familiar though) but the songs you posted are stellar. I really enjoyed Terria and Ki, the others were good too though. Definitely going to give his solo stuff and the SYL stuff a good listen.
Somehow missed this. Glad that you liked it! I think his stuff is definitely something you'd be into. Ki and Ghost have been my go to for mellow music lately. Devy is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists, like a metal Frank Zappa.
Picked up the two disc version of Epicloud the other day and been thoroughly enjoying it, even the bonus demos. I was put off by its really positive vibe when it came out because I was sort of in this gloomy/angry music mood for months. Now it's easier to swallow, and I'm really loving it. Great way to sort of cap off the DTP.

All this Strapping Young Lad chat is a real blast from past! I remember first hearing them on a Kerrang (or maybe Metal Hammer) mix tape (which I still have somewhere...) back in the early (mid?) nineties. Hoglan's double-kick drumming really was memorable. Funny band.

I fairly recently stumbled across the guitarist Buckerhead (Brian Patrick Carroll) & have been slowly buying & listening to some of his albums. I touched upon this in another thread (with Mosh) but thought this probably the better place to post comment/thoughts. As way of a preamble, I sort of came to him through Les Claypool's solo work; which I'd been buying up. I'm a bit of a Claypool/Primus nut, so anything vaguely in that musical neck of the woods I thought was bound to be appealing. It's odd, I wouldn't normally pay a fantastic amount of attention to someone's image/persona --but Buckethead is pretty amusing, with his mask & KFC bucket (on his head). He's released in excess of 50 albums; & the content is really all over the place. Not really sure how to categorise the guy, but his shredding is some of the cleanest, live, I've seen/heard. Fantastic guitarist, no doubt (--with some highly refined technical tricks). Albums? Highly varied it would seem.

I was going to review a few of him albums, but, fuck it, I'm going to post a few clips instead for those who haven't really seen/heard any of his stuff: heavy (not sure how representative this track is), acoustic/chilled (pretty nice/simple guitar work), & live (for those who love your guitar twiddling...). Bear in mind Buckethead is one guy without a band; his albums are pretty much self-produced (with Dan Monti), with him playing guitar(s), bass (sometimes), & using drum machines, no vocals, etc --something that doesn't really translate that well live.

Last edited:
Speaking of Buckethead, he released yet another album this week. That's his third album this month!

My favorites by him are Colma and Giant Robot. After awhile some of his stuff gets really samey though.

Yeh, he has quite a lot of acoustic/"chill-out"/unplugged sounding albums (quite a lot of the recent Pike Series material sounds more acoustic, from what little I've heard) --& once you've heard two or three of these, your kind of wondering whether it's worth getting any more. I think, as you've said, most of his early albums (1992-2010; so about 30 albums!) are pretty good sounding; all pretty heavy I think. I haven't actually bought (although I've listened to quite a few albums on YouTube) Giant Robot yet: only Colma, Electric Tears (both pretty nice albums), & Kaleidoscalp (I quite like this album; it's a total mash-up). I've got Monsters & Robots (with Claypool), Bucketheadland 2, Bermuda Triangle, Cuckoo Clocks Of Hell, and two Praxis albums (Tennessee & Metatron) coming in the post. I'll burn out in a couple of months! :D

Yea that's a ton of material. :p

Electric Tears is pretty great too. All the Pikes stuff I've heard (including the most recent one) is pretty heavy. But I did hear that there are some mellow ones.

Really, that's interesting --I thought they were all mellow. Hmmm, yes, that does seem to be a bit of listening, doesn't it? To be honest, getting any of his albums cheaply has been a bit of an issue. Currently: everything (above) was bought & shipped to the UK for under £10 (each). So that's buttons (for the actual CD) if shipped from the US & about £8 max. (for the CD) if bought from a UK seller. Unfortunately, it's just not the kind of material where you can pick up CDs for a few quid second-hand; they're all pretty expensive. Have you heard any of his Praxis work?

Yea I actually don't own any of his stuff, it's pretty expensive and I never come across it used. I listen to all of his material on Spotify, you can listen to some of the Pikes stuff here as well.

Never heard the Praxis stuff, what is it?

Praxis was a "supergroup" that Buckethead was in from in the early 90's. He wasn't on one or two releases, but most of them. Other members were: Brain (Primus drummer for a bit), Bernie Worrell (keyboardist, who also toured with Claypool), Bill Laswell (writer/producer/bass, who pulled the group together I think) & Bootsy Collins (of James Brown fame). They toured in the 90's a fair bit, including in Europe. It sounded like one colossal jam session on stage. Like Buckethead's material, the albums are rather eccentric e.g. the first was well received, but the second album was Death-Metal influenced. Go figure. Their stuff is variously described as improvised funk/jazz/hip-hop/heavy-metal! :D

Last edited:
Oh I actually have heard that, back when I was just getting into Buckethead. Stuff I heard had Serj from SOAD on vocals, really cool stuff.

...and Mike Patton, Iggy Pop, etc, etc. Yeh, they did have quite a lot of people roped in here & there, it seems. Buckethead still had a bucket on his head though. No signature Les Paul, but still a bucket! :D

EDIT: It's been so close, but I don't think they've been on the one stage before: Buckethead + Claypool + Mike Patton!!

Last edited:
One of the better albums I've had the pleasure of hearing lately! It has a bit of everything..I've only heard this album so can't say if this is representable of their entire catalog..but sit down, put headphones, make a cuppa and give the entire album a chance if you follow the playlist on YouTube!

Back