Nektar

Wally Swift

Invader
Wow! I picked up a Nektar LP because I like Maiden's cover of "King of Twilight". The LP is called "...Sounds Like This", a double LP on the UK United Artists label from 1973. Great stuff, I can hear the influence that this had on Steve Harris.

Anyone a Nektar fan? Other recommendations?

King of Twilight has one of the coolest choruses. Nektar is on my list, but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

I like them quite a bit and own all of their 1970s albums. They have come out with a few post 2000, but I think the band is just a shell of themselves and I have not given those a chance.

A Tab In the Ocean is their best album IMO .. it contains King of Twilight. Remember the Future and Journey to the Center of the Eye are also quite good. You really cannot go too wrong with any of their records, they were a really talented band.

Some of the tracks on the album I bought almost sound like they could be early Iron Maiden demos!
Very true. There are bits like in Desolation Valley, before the intro riff comes back around that is exactly the same as a part in Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Steve must have dusted off A Tab in the Ocean during the Powerslave sessions, hence the King of Twilight cover. I absolutely love it.

So this thread inspired me to pick up one of Nektar's albums at a record convention this weekend: Remember the Future. They seem like a band I should know about and I'm enjoying it so far. It seems like both sides are made up of two suites that form a single piece together. It's proggy, but lacking a lot of the tropes of the British bands. I can definitely hear the Maiden influence, especially in the bass playing!

I listened to Tab in the Ocean and Remember the Future back to back after seeing this thread a couple of days ago, loved 'em both, they even got funky towards the end of RtF if I recall. Top band, surprised it took me so long, given the Maiden connection.

I played them through youtube and that led me to ELOY. Listened to Ocean and Dawn, I particularly recommend Ocean.

Back