Need some guitar advice

• Thread starter Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date Start date
A

Anonymous

Well the trouble is, to put it simply, my style.  I dont really like it.  It has a bluesy feel to it, and while I do enjoy the Blues, I live and breathe Heavy Metal.  My favorite band is Iron Maiden (big surprise),  and while I want to have my own style, I really want to play solos like the Three Amigos.  Any suggestions on how to break away from that bluesy sound?  I am also sure that it is not my tone.  I play a Gibson SG through a 120 watt Line 6 amp, and my tones range from Iron Maiden style to Slayer.

first thing is first;  listen.  start learning sabbath, van halen, ozzy, maiden(of course), etc.  play it out by ear and do your best, man.  one thing that helped me is playing along with songs; and dave murray's style is blues-based.  if you slow it down with sound recorder or something like that, its basically pentatonic/blues scale.    but instead of thinking the 5 notes in the pentatonic, try thinking of a theme, i guess, instead of improv.  but listening is the key.

The blues is the foundation of all rock music, including metal. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. If you've got a real blues feel to your playing, then keep it there. Seek not to replace it, but rather to augment it. Consider: most metal guitarists play minor scales when they solo, and many of them sound the same because of it. You may have the seed of something that can really set you apart. Let it grow.

Look for metal guitarists who have notable blues influences in their playing. Dave Murray, Tony Iommi and Slash are three that come to mind. Learn some of their solos, and get a feel for how they mix metal and blues. After a while, you'll start to find your own voice by playing in a similar manner without directly quoting them.

An example from my bass playing: two of my favorite bassists are Steve Harris and Geezer Butler. I've learned many basslines from those two, note for note. But as soon as I learn that note-for-note stuff, I forget the exact licks and hang onto the feeling. Consequently, my style has elements that sound like Harris (without directly quoting him) and like Geezer (again, no quotes) with a strong dose of funk from guys like Flea or Bootsy Collins. The individual parts may be derivative, but the way I put them together with my own ideas creates a unique style.

Yeah, don't abandon the blues altogether. There's some magic and power to those pentatonic scales, and they're often useful if you're in a situation where you have to adlib a solo. They're also a great basis for actual riffs. So, stick to your blues roots for they are the roots of rock and roll.... amen.

I do, however, think it's a good idea to expand your style into involving elements from all sorts of different musical traditions, so I don't see the problem in you doing some minor scales as well, or perhaps something from non-western traditions. I think some of the Arabian-sounding scales are really cool in certain types of metal, especially the slower more doomy stuff.

So, like the others have said, shop around and let yourself be inspired by other guitarists. Try to also look outside of metal, as there are some interesting things out there too. Let yourself be inspired and just play - go with the flow. That way you'll develop a style of your own.

In addition to the three amigos, Tony Iommi, and Slash, you should listen to Dimebag Darell, Richie Blackmore, Chuck Schuldiner, K.K. Downing, Glenn Tipton and Jimi Hendrix. They all have unique personal styles that are inspire both by the blues and the more classical minor-scale style as well as other musical tones and traditions.

I play a Gibson SG too, and, personally, I think it's a very versatile guitar. I've seen it used in everything from jazz to death metal, so it's not a question of a style of music being unsuitable for that guitar.

Icarus said:
I am also sure that it is not my tone.  I play a Gibson SG through a 120 watt Line 6 amp,
No that's the definitly not the problem. Gibson SG's are well suited for playing hardrock and metal. My own Line 6 amp doesn't cause any troblems with that either.

I'm not sure what your problem really is. Is it the vibe? If so than that's indeed a problem. There is nothing wrong with a bluesy vibe but a good guitarist needs to be able to switch styles. Do you count while you play?

Back