Napoleon was with the terrorists

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
How, you may ask, was the French Emperor from Corsica working with bin Laden nearly 200 years before the September 11 attacks?

Well, after Napoleon snatched defeat from the jaws of certain victory at Waterloo, Europe needed to establish a new 'balance of power'. This was done at the Congress of Vienna.

This balance of power created the autocratic regimes in Europe that spawned the 1848 rebellions. The rebellions were squashed more severely than a student at Kent State, and in the aftermath Prussia became a continental military power.

In 1871, Prussia used its newfound power to unite Germany. Flash forward to 1905, Kaiser Bill begins to build a hugassed navy, which scares the Brits into crapping out Dreadnoughts like Portsmouth's shipyards had collectively had severe diarhea.

The arms race caused tensions in Europe, of course. This led to Germany signing pacts with Austria for mutual defence, Britain and France entered into an allaince as well. In June 1914, the heir to the Austrian throne was killed in Bosnia. Austria used this as a pretext for kicking Serbia's ass. Russia said "hell noski" to that idea. Germany saw this as a good way to strike a blow at France and Russia, and Britain said "WTF?"
Thus the Great War began.
It lasted until 1918 and the Treaty of Versailles, in which Germany got screwed worse than a Mormon at a used car dealer. Also, France and britain were given control of the Middle East under League of Nations Mandates.

This led to Germany's economy going down the shitter and allowed the rise of Hitler. Hitler, as we know, started World War II.

In the aftermath fo World War II, Briatin was pretty well broke. They had to grant India and their African colonies independance. They could no longer afford to fulfill their mandates in the Middle East, so both the Frenchies and Brits left.

They left in such a hurry that they didn't prepare these new Middles Eastern states for independance properly. This led to all the crap that we're still dealing with today, including Islamic terrorists like bin Laden.

So, I think we can now all agree that Napoleon is to blame for the attacks on the World Trade Centre, the Iraq war, and anything else we don't like.

Rubbish! Napoleon helped create the countries that we see today, he wasn't responsible for their actions

Umm, Duke, i think this belongs in the Mandess forum. Especially with that ending. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--] But to answer to your attack on Napoleon, I agree that he did cause some horendous things, like the burning of Moscow (i know the russians did that per se, but if he wouldn've started the campaign, it wouldn've happened)and death of thousand of french and european soldiers for his own dreams of conquest. He might have been a Bush of his times, but he's NOT to blame for WTC.

Rubbish. The Brits didn't prepare America for independence, and we turned out just fine.

Right?

On second thought, don't answer that. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Well, Duke... I agree with you.... but for ENTIRELY different reasons. First I will answer SMX, America fought for their independance, a person or nation that has had enough of opression and has the guts and will to fight for independance is ready for it. Most African and middle eastern countries (then colonies) were very much afraid of England and France and felt helpless, like duke says the English and French eventually left... nobody won a war of independance.
Now to adress why I agree with Duke. England and France carved up the middle east and Africa according to natural resources instead of respecting ethnical and tribal boundaries. I hope you all remember the Masacre between the Tutsis (sp? that sounds more like a lollipop lol) and the Hutus in Rwuanda. Or the Serbs being systematically exterminated in Yugoslavia, and so on and so forth.... They lumped groups of people that to this day can't look at each other much less get along into one nation and when they (brits and french) left they were no longer there to force peace between them. Therefore... YES, not just Napoleon but England are to blame for the present state of affairs not just in the middle east but also Africa. However if you go further back in time Duke you might as well blame the first man to walk upright because everything that has happened is a simple reaction to his actions... as a historian you should know that. Otherwise good work and keep up the crazy ideas! (makes me feel less lonely [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--])

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]However if you go further back in time Duke you might as well blame the first man to walk upright because everything that has happened is a simple reaction to his actions... as a historian you should know that.[/quote]

Onhell, I'm glad at least SOMEONE here was able to pick up on what I was trying to do. You've restored my faith in humanity.

I honestly doubt anyone else actually read my post, or else you'd likely have come to exactly the same conclusion as Onhell.

That's the first thing that came into my mind after reading your first post. Some days ago, I saw a topic in a different forum saying that Gerald Ford was to blame for Bush being president of the U.S. right now. This is just like that topic in that you could keep going back further and blaming whoever influenced them or caused them to do what they did. In that topic about Ford, the next person to blame would be Nixon. If you ask me, the people to blame for the terrorist attacks are the terrorists themselves. The people to blame for Bush being president are the American voters.

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]If you ask me, the people to blame for the terrorist attacks are the terrorists themselves.[/quote]

But that would mean someone having to take responsibility for their own actions. We can't have that, can we?

[!--emo&:lmao:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol.gif\' /][!--endemo--] true, how horrible that would be! To imagine I got an 'F' on a test because I didn't study!!!! we all know it was the teacher's fault! he hates me!

Ok first off, sorry for reviving this topic, but I didn't want to start a new one that went along these lines.
I just saw a "controversial" (notice the quote marks hehe) report on ABC's 20/20. The report was on the lavish lifestyle of the Saudi Royal Family. While Saudia Arabia lives in poverty and has an astronomical unemployment rate, its rulers spend their time on the Spanish Riviera on their yachts and party with hookers and drug dealers. They even have PALACES, not houses, not mansions... PALACES in Spain. Many of the family members (it is a HUGE family) are involved in prostitution and drug rings... some even run such operations. They interviewed one Saudi Prince who tried to dispell this "rumor" of the royal family gone wild and they interviewed two Saudi exiles in London. One was the daughter of the Oil chairman or some position like that in the '70's and the other used to be a proffesor at a university and now he has his own radio show which he feeds via satellite to Saudia Arabia. Both Critic the Family's obscenely extravagant lifestyle as an insult to Islam and their people.
My first thought was....So? What else is new? So they have a corrupt government, join the club. But then they mentioned.... POM POM POM.... Osama Bin Laden and how he is a threat to the family! which got the little hamester in my head running on his metallic wheel. What if, IF Osama has no beef with the US? What if he is attacking the USA because they are fostering a corrupt government he opposes? So he doesn't hate the USA's freedom loving banners, but the fact that they are helping the people that is opressing his fellow countrymen? What if he didn't bomb Spain because they are the USA's friend, but because that is where the Royal family spends 100% of their leasure time? He is sending the Royal Family... not the US a message? Now this is just an idea... don't start cussing or insulting... just thinking.... I'm writing this as i'm thinking about it because it is fresh in my mind... might regret it tomorrow, but we'll see tomorrow hehe.

Back