Name things about Maiden that have changed to the better over the years

Dick Brucinson

Bruce Dolci
So, this is somewhat the opposite of my thread "If you could wish one thing back from Maiden that has gone & is no more". Let's collect aspects from the Maiden context that we are more or less glad they are no more. :) Anybody to start please. :)

Last edited:
The pace of the songs played live. Some songs were better live when played a bit faster (Flight of Icarus as an example) but there was a period where they simply played everything way too fast. Nowadays some may be even a bit too slow but sure age doesn't help neither

In general they have gotten better at touring their new music in the USA:

Dance of Death - Very limited run of arena shows.

AMOLAD - Short run in the US, something like ten cities.

TFF - Extensive US run pre-album release, the Ed Force One tour focused on the new album the following year barely touched the states (if it even came here at all).

Book of Souls - Ten-ish shows on the Ed Force One tour, following year was a full scale arena tour.

Senjutsu - Same thing, limited run in NA for Future Past, full scale US tour the following year

Until Book of Souls, I had resigned myself to the fact that if there was to be a new Maiden album, I probably wouldn’t hear the new songs live. TBOS/Senjutsu have demonstrated a lot of confidence in the new material in the states that wasn’t really there before.

Honestly, I think the band are just flat-out better song writers than they used to be. Which isn't meant to knock any of the older material, because that stuff is eternally classic. But everyone in the band has sort of "grown up" and all become better song writers. With the possible exception of Dave. But I only say that because Dave writes less and less over the years, not as a reflection of the quality of his material.

Songs like Starblind, Wild Wind, Empire, Senjutsu, Isle of Avalon, Paschendale (just off the top of my head) are songs the band never could have written in the 80s. At least, I don't think so. There's a certain straight-forwardness of their earlier material that the band abandons now and gets more adventurous, and I love to see them do that.

Hmm, that's a good question.

I think the band are better songwriters now - and that's impressive given the quality of their older stuff. And they became masters of long songs for me, with dynamics and the imagery & feel they create.

I have to think more for something else.

Back