My Maiden dilemma.

Before anything, I would like to introduce myself.
My name is Jose, I'm 20 years old, I've been a fan of Iron Maiden since 2005. I live in the Mexico/U.S. border. I've only seen Iron Maiden once, which was this year, June, at San Antonio (Which I will post about my experience later).

Anyhow, according to the tourdates for next year, Maiden will be playing all over the world and two shows in the U.S. (Florida). Now this is where my dilemma begins.
I still live with my parents, I do not have a job at the moment but I should be getting one soon. The closest place to where I live where Maiden is playing would be Monterrey Mexico. Now, this wouldn't have been a problem ten years ago but Mexico, mostly the northern part of it is RIDICULOUSLY dangerous (The cartels are mugging, kidnapping, extorting, and murdering innocent civilians) and Monterrey is also part of the cartel territory. I could go to Florida to see them, but I would have to spent much more money (Hotels, plane tickets, cabs, plus I would want to see them at the front so I would have to join the fan club) or I could go to Monterrey, and risk my life in the name of saving money as seeing that I don't have to be part of the fan club to get front tickets (I think) plus I have family there so I have a place to stay. Since I live with my parents they would never allow me to go to Mexico just for a concert. What should I do? Lie to them and tell them that I'm going to San Antonio again but go to Mexico instead? Or be honest with them and join the fan club, travel all the way to Florida spend a ton of money and most likely not get front/floor tickets.

Advice would be greatly appreciated. ;)

You could be a little patient and wait to see if Maiden adds more U.S. dates later in the year. I think it is very likely that they will. They may not play San Antonio, but Houston or Dallas or even Albuquerque would probably be cheaper for you than heading to Florida during the tourism season.

Anywhere in Texas would be fine, or even close to Texas. I'm not good at predicting Maiden's tour patterns but I have heard they do play in San Antonio at least once a year.

Yes, definitely wait and see where they will be coming next year. I can pretty much guarantee there will be at least one date in Texas.

All right I'll wait a while. So does anyone know if getting floor tickets are only available through the fan club or are there other ways around that?

{Leviathan} said:
All right I'll wait a while. So does anyone know if getting floor tickets are only available through the fan club or are there other ways around that?

The fan club gets a portion of them... far from all. If you could see them in an arena (San Antonio was an outdoor gig... right?) Front third of the arena is the open floor "pit"  Much easier to get than the first few rows in a seated venue and if you want you can get close with very little effort.

When I saw them it wasn't outdoors, it was in the AT&T wireless center. The security was ridiculous, but I did make it to the floor/pit, using shady means and quick wit, however I would just rather buy the floor/pit tickets. I'll post the whole story later.  :ok:

{Leviathan} said:
When I saw them it wasn't outdoors, it was in the AT&T wireless center. The security was ridiculous, but I did make it to the floor/pit, using shady means and quick wit, however I would just rather buy the floor/pit tickets.

Props to you for  :ninja: to the pit. Just stay on top of when tix go on sale and get online and ready to click the pit tix quick... :ok:

wsoul1 said:
Props to you for  :ninja: to the pit. Just stay on top of when tix go on sale and get online and ready to click the pit tix quick... :ok:
Haha thank you! I will once they announce the date for a Texas concert. If I have enough money I'll join the damn fan club. Other than that how else can I get pit tickets?

{Leviathan} said:
Haha thank you! I will once they announce the date for a Texas concert. If I have enough money I'll join the damn fan club. Other than that how else can I get pit tickets?

Fan cub is probably worth it for good tix. Not sure it is a guarantee. I am not a member. Maybe a fan club member can chime in. I can only speak for the Big Apple which is where i live. Here it is next to impossible to get "good" tix the day they go on sale. Corruption at it's finest. For must see shows here that i have to buy tix for i have a broker aka scalper. I paid $200 for $100 pit tix to the 7/12 show at MSG... well worth it.

Jul12_0007.jpg

wsoul1 said:
Fan cub is probably worth it for good tix. Not sure it is a guarantee. I am not a member. Maybe a fan club member can chime in. I can only speak for the Big Apple which is where i live. Here it is next to impossible to get "good" tix the day they go on sale. Corruption at it's finest. For must see shows here that i have to buy tix for i have a broker aka scalper. I paid $200 for $100 pit tix to the 7/12 show at MSG... well worth it.

Jul12_0007.jpg
Nice picture. I asked the people in the pit at the concert where they got their tickets and none of them gave me a specific answer. They all told me "Online bro". <_<

I say go to Monterrey. While the insecurity problem is real, I do believe it is overhyped. I travel by bus to Mexico frequently and don't bump into said violence. Just take usual precautions and you should be fine. If you are THAT worried about, then yeah, wait for further U.S dates in Texas.

If I were to go to Monterrey I would take my buddies with me, the issue is, I have to fool my parents into thinking I'm going to San Antonio.

Ah, then not worth it. If you're parents won't let you go, because they'll be too worried about you, then don't bother. Just wait for a Texas show.

Go with friends, make sure you have a friend you can stay with in town, or a hotel in a decent area. Hostels are usually in poorer, dangerous areas of town... at least in Mexico City. Don't wear your nice jewelery (duh), in other words the less ostentatious the better. While cartel violence is usually directed at other drug lords and law enforcement; senseless drive by shootings do occur.... though the chances of that happening to one particular person are small to slim.

Onhell said:
Ah, then not worth it. If you're parents won't let you go, because they'll be too worried about you, then don't bother. Just wait for a Texas show.
All right then, at least that gives me time to save up some money to join the fan club, get myself and my buddies some Iron Maiden tickets for a Texas show. :ok:

{Leviathan} said:
All right then, at least that gives me time to save up some money to join the fan club

Surely if you can afford to go to a Maiden show, the fan club shouldn't be too expensive?  It's just a fraction of the cost of the ticket.  But as for your dilemma: what others said.

Invader said:
Surely if you can afford to go to a Maiden show, the fan club shouldn't be too expensive?  It's just a fraction of the cost of the ticket.  But as for your dilemma: what others said.
I'm not rich, or come from a rich family. I just know how to save money. B)

Habberdasher said:
You could be a little patient and wait to see if Maiden adds more U.S. dates later in the year. I think it is very likely that they will. They may not play San Antonio, but Houston or Dallas or even Albuquerque would probably be cheaper for you than heading to Florida during the tourism season.
it has been confirmed there won't be more US dates in 2011

Back