Mother Russia

How good is Mother Russia on a scale of 1-10?

• Total voters
Best track from NPFTD! A while back I said that I refuse to give anything from No Prayer For the Fillers a rating over 8, but Mother Russia deserves that. 9/10

Re: Daily Song: Mother Russia

Fugazi said:
8/10, my favourite on the album.

I like the general tone of this song, excellent vibe, it's one of those songs that because I enjoy it so much it seems much shorter that it actually is. If I were voting on this song today I would give it a 10.

Unfortunately you have decided too quickly. ;)
We can change this as soon as the votes can be changed.

I have added you in the No Prayer album ranking topic and in the other "overall" one.  :ok:

The most epic song on the album, should've been played live instead of Hooks In You. It lacks something that all 80's epics have, so I can't give it a 10. 9/10.

I rate this song 6/10. I think it should've become a "proper" epic. I like the lyrics and the feeling of it, which is not very Maiden-like (and I mean that in a good way). But IMO it should have been developed a bit more.

The vocals are odd and not everything in the song works, also the production robs the song of some very crucial layers, but I absolutely love the tonality. Many of the riffs here are some of my favorites, definitely the best on this album by far. The vocal chant keyboard is oddly effective.

This song needed a couple more minutes of breathing room.

This "epic" song would be the worst one thus far on what is probably the worst album thus far. It's okay, but not even on an equal level with my least favorite epic so far, To Tame a Land. It does have a series of great solos from Murray and Janick that are it's best quality.
8/10

The mini-epic. The tone and feeling is great, and the melodies are great! Again the constantly shifting keys are great! This actually feels really different then rest of the album.
The guitar-battle between Gers and Murray are the best part of the song! Could have been more vocals in this one, but I don't miss Bruce, the other guys delivers big time!

8/10

There was a time where Maiden songs were as long as necessary. This is a prime example of how Maiden songs used to RULE.

There was a time where Maiden songs were as long as necessary. This is a prime example of how Maiden songs used to RULE.
This song is generally considered completely average, an average song on a below average album.

This song takes me to a time where songs were much more to my liking. I mean guitars are ripping throughout the song and it all the guitar assault is over around the time WTWWB is about to start with the solos

lol

I like the music a lot but -though I find the theme itself very interesting- the vocal melodies lack inspiration in my opinion (except maybe for the slowing down on "Can't you be happy now your people are free"). (7/10)

6. I actually feel like this is a contender for the worst track on the album. It's not a bad track and I enjoy it but I feel there are better on the album. Would benefit if there was a catchy vocal section I could latch on to.

Rankings:

Previous Albums:

Iron Maiden - 6.67

8 - Prowler
6 - Sanctuary
7 - Remember Tomorrow
6 - Running Free
9 - Phantom Of The Opera
7 - Transylvania
4 - Strange World
6 - Charlotte The Harlot
7 - Iron Maiden

Killers - 5.91

6 - The Ides Of March
6 - Wrathchild
6 - Murders In The Rue Morgue
5 - Another Life
5 - Genghis Khan
5 - Innocent Exile
8 - Killers
5 - Prodigal Son
8 - Purgatory
6 - Twilight Zone
5 - Drifter

The Number Of The Beast - 7.56

6 - Invaders
7 - Children Of The Damned
8 - The Prisoner
7 - 22 Acacia Avenue
9 - The Number Of The Beast
10 - Run To The Hills
6 - Gangland
5 - Total Eclipse
10 - Hallowed Be Thy Name

Piece Of Mind - 7.44

8 - Where Eagles Dare
9 - Revelations
9 - Flight Of Icarus
7 - Die With Your Boots On
8 - The Trooper
7 - Still Life
6 - Quest For Fire
6 - Sun And Steel
7 - To Tame A Land

Powerslave - 6.75

8 - Aces High
7 - 2 Minutes To Midnight
3 - Loss Fer Words
7 - Flash Of The Blade
5 - The Duellists
6 - Back In The Village
9 - Powerslave
9 - Rime Of The Ancient Mariner

Somewhere In Time - 8.00

8 - Caught Somewhere In Time
9 - Wasted Years
8 - Sea Of Madness
8 - Heaven Can Wait
8 - The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner
7 - Stranger In A Strange Land
8 - Deja Vu
8 - Alexander The Great

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son - 8.25

7 - Moonchild
9 - Infinite Dreams
9 - Can I Play With Madness
9 - The Evil That Men Do
10 - Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
6 - The Prophecy
8 - The Clairvoyant
8 - Only The Good Die Young

No Prayer For The Dying - 6.90

6 - Tailgunner
6 - Holy Smoke
8 - No Prayer For The Dying
7 - Public Enema Number One
7 - Fates Warning
7 - The Assassin
6 - Run Silent Run Deep
8 - Hooks In You
8 - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter
6 - Mother Russia

Wow, I rated this album collectively higher than Powerslave.

Back