Most Underrated Maiden song?

Genghis Khan said:
I think the reason many do not like Montsegur is because of the "happy" feeling when Bruce sings "As we kill them all so God will know His own,
The innocents died for the pope on his throne".  This is the same accusations against songs like Holy Smoke.  Why do I keep coming back to this song these last couple of days?  :innocent:

Monsegur is one of my favourites and it has a rating of 4.00 out of 5.00.  Unless, you think it deserves a full 5.00, I can't see that it is that underrated.

4 stars? Really? Nice the song its worth it :). No i dont think its worth 5 starts but its a great song. And i have read in the commentary about the "happy feeling" and of course it doesnt really fit in, but i still like the part especially the guitar playing.

And thank you for the history lesson Raven, Urizen and all others ;)

Childhood's End. Easily one of the best underrated songs. Riff is unbelievably sweet.
Lightning Strikes twice too. Probably the heaviest 90's era Maiden song.

Ghost of the Navigator.  Yes, it received 4.5 on IMC, which is a high rating; so, keeping in mind Gengis Khan's earlier point in this thread, yes, I think this song deserves 5 stars.  I think it is Maiden's strongest song since Dickinson and Smith rejoined the group -- with the possible exception of Paschendale (and I'm not yet prepared to concede that at this point).  I cannot for the life of me understand why this song has not yet reached "pantheon" status among the members of this bulletin board.  Someone please explain it to me, if you disagree with me.  Exhibit A in the case that GOTN is grossly underrated: it ranks behind "Holy Smoke" on SinisterMinsterX's poll website.  <Scoff>  Please. 

cornfedhick said:
Ghost of the Navigator.  Yes, it received 4.5 on IMC, which is a high rating; so, keeping in mind Gengis Khan's earlier point in this thread, yes, I think this song deserves 5 stars.  I think it is Maiden's strongest song since Dickinson and Smith rejoined the group -- with the possible exception of Paschendale (and I'm not yet prepared to concede that at this point).  I cannot for the life of me understand why this song has not yet reached "pantheon" status among the members of this bulletin board.  Someone please explain it to me, if you disagree with me.  Exhibit A in the case that GOTN is grossly underrated: it ranks behind "Holy Smoke" on SinisterMinsterX's poll website.  <Scoff>  Please. 

I'll say it.
I vastly underrated Ghost of the Navigator when I first started listening to 'Brave New World'.  I finally started to give it respect after getting 'Visions of the Beast'.  Those that have this DVD know that Ghost of the Navigator introduction is played as the user is moving the navigating cursor over various song "windows", etc. (how fitting).  The visuals in the introduction have sparked an interest in me.  It made me realize how atmospheric the song truly is.  The little eerie (what I call) glow-globe or will-of-the-wisp are rising with the music picking pace until finally it reaches Eddie's window and just at the "bang" in the song, Eddie smashes the window.  Pretty impressive.  Probably the best visual to a song Maiden have done.  If I were to rate it now, it'd be at least a 4.75/5.  In fact, I just put together the ten 'best of' songs in my 'Foobar2000' since the reunion and this song is definitely on there.

Oh, and about SMX's site:
It is great in that it gives the user a general impression of what the general world thinks of various bands, including Maiden.  But, I'd wager that most Maiden listeners at "Top10" are either: a) casual listeners; b) old fans who likely have nothing since 'Fear of the Dark'.  These fans, in my impression, like only straight-forward rockers, without much time changes or complexity.  IMC BB definitely works differently; check the ratings here.  As much as I like Holy Smoke, it does not compare to the genius that is Ghost of the Navigator

True, TGOTN is a great song, and it has great instrumentals and a hooking riff in the middle after the solo. Gotta love musicsmanship like that.
The lyrics dive again into the mysterious subject of life, and the metaphors are just well done here.

Man On The Edge and Aftermath are great souding songs too, the former being a song about rise and fall about stressfull tycoons(on face value) but can also be attributed to just about anyone who may have went too serious on work and forgetting simple stuff, and the latter being a great war song on the same vein as longest day, paschendale. The lyrics are introspective and makes you wonder about why we suffer war.

Actually, I think one of the most under-rated songs off Brave New World is The Nomad. It's a brilliant epic that, while the lyrics are not some of the best, is highly atmospheric and tells a tale using practically only music. Also, the solo at about 3:33 gives me the shivers every time. Another song off the same album that in my opinion is under-rated is The Thin Line. True, the chorus is a little awkward and its not the best beginning but it has its moments (such as at 1:48). I think that this song has some of the most emotional deliveries on the part of Bruce.

Troopershanghai said:
Yes, "Caught Somewhere in Time" is definitely underrated -- the guitar solos are brilliant.  The same goes for "The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner".  As an open question, why would these songs be so underrated?

Currently, I feel The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner to be the most underrated.  I like its relentless speed and when Bruce sings the title it always puts a big smile on my face.  Nicko's drumming is great and the guitars riffs, too.

Absolutely agree with you on this one Genghis Khan. Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner is one song which I just can't understand why it is so underrated. While on the topic of underrated songs, I think alot of songs off Fear of the Dark are underrated such as Childhood's End or Fear is the Key.

I just want to say that I too feel that 'Loneliness of the long distance runner' is underrated. I love that song, Bruce does some amazing singing on it, and the theme - the loneliness of the long distance/marathon runner is a rare inspiration in music If I'm not mistaken. The way Bruce sings the chorus really fits the theme very well showing the pain of the competitor/runner. And the way he sings the lines 'I got to keep ruuunning the course, I got to keep running and win at all cost, I got to keep moving be strong, must be so determined and push myself on', shows the determination the runner has in spite of the extreme difficulties and almost feeling desperate at times.

Urizen said:
I just want to say that I too feel that 'Loneliness of the long distance runner' is underrated. I love that song, Bruce does some amazing singing on it, and the theme - the loneliness of the long distance/marathon runner is a rare inspiration in music If I'm not mistaken. The way Bruce sings the chorus really fits the theme very well showing the pain of the competitor/runner. And the way he sings the lines 'I got to keep ruuunning the course, I got to keep running and win at all cost, I got to keep moving be strong, must be so determined and push myself on', shows the determination the runner has in spite of the extreme difficulties and almost feeling desperate at times.

Well, at least the only performance of this song was in your country or even city :)
http://www.maidenfans.com/imc/pictures/ ... -10b_b.jpg

One song I never hear anybody talk about is The Prophecy off SSOASS. It is a thoroughly brilliant song and doesn't get any recognition. and LOTLDR is also one hell of a mighty song. Bot Underrated IMO

Oh yeah, that song rocks. This and Only The Good Die Young are often left behind when talking about SSOASS.

Eclipse said:
One song I never hear anybody talk about is The Prophecy off SSOASS. It is a thoroughly brilliant song and doesn't get any recognition. and LOTLDR is also one hell of a mighty song. Bot Underrated IMO
:blink:

Sneaky, it took me a few minutes to get that one, but I got there in the end. Hint:Somewhere in Time. :D

It took me longer to recognise the abbreviation than to figure out what's wrong. ;)

Back