Most Underrated Maiden song?

[!--QuoteBegin-JEFFMETAL+Jan 14 2006, 05:03 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(JEFFMETAL @ Jan 14 2006, 05:03 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Burning Ambition
  Innocent Exile (never heard so dinamic twists and turns in so little time.FANTASTIC!)
  Prodigal Son
  Twilight Zone
  Purgatory
  Total Eclipse
  Die With Your Boots On
  The Duellists
  Back In The Village
  Sea Of Madness
  Only The Good Die Young
  Public Enemea Number One
  Fates Warning
  Hooks In You (Just awesome!)
  Childhood's End
  Chains Of Misery
  2 A.M. (I would like to hear and see Bruce singing it a lot!)
  I Live My Way
  Justice Of The Peace
  Judgement Day
  Dream Of Mirrors (Those great epics so good as 7th son,To Tame A Land)
  Gates Of Tomorrow
  Age Of Innocence (This song is one of the most unusual by Maiden and maybe that's why it is not so commented or beloved).
[snapback]127017[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Not too bad of a list, but I dont think Prodigal Son is underrated, easily the weakest song on the Killers album, I DO in fact agree about Hooks In You, Ive never seen anything wrong with that song but people are always saying "h00kzz 1N y0u 1zzz so suxx0rz"

Mother Russia. Most fans seem to hate it, but I think that it's Iron Maiden's best. An awesome Russian-sounding riff, great vocals, great lyrics, and the best guitarsolo period I've ever heard. Just listening for ten seconds and I can imagine an army of Russian soldiers in some World War 2-like battle.

The entire SIT album, flash of the blade, back in the village, out of the silent planet.

SIT isnt liked by most people because(IMO) they dont give the songs a good enough listen....or they just dont like the album. I really suggest giving the album a full listen

flash of the blade is skipped over by most of my friends because "itS gaYa mAnN!" but they dont realize all of the great harmones and complicated parts in the song.

Back in the village is skipped over by most of my friends because they think the intro sucks so the rest of the song must suck aswell. thats obviously not true even though i thought the same when I first heard it but I learned to like it.

I think Silent planet is underrated because some people dont play clost attention to the song and just give it a quick listen without even hearing the whole thing. I gotta admit the solo part is rather boring to listen to but the chorus and the intro makes up for that.

.....that is the most serious post I have written in a long time

I have to say that for me there are three Maiden songs which people who I know who like them seem to overlook.

They are Hooks In You, Out Of The Silent Planet and Sun And Steel.

Hooks In You - Probably the best song on this otherwise unimpressive album (except of course BYDTTS). It has a very melodic chorus, and the way the song picks up after the slow part in the middle is just great.

Out Of The Silent Planet - Great opening melody, and the music complements the vocals perfectly. Also, there are sort of two different choruses in the song - "Out of the silent planet, dreams of desolation" etc, and "Out of the silent planet, out of the silent planet we are." They are played in two slightly different styles, but they go together really well.

Sun And Steel - The guitar riff is among the best I've ever heard, especially between the chorus and verses. 'Arry's "gallop" bass riff is also prominent, and this is a factor which most of the greatset Maiden songs share, due to the fast pace which it gives.

Gangland, Flash of the Blade, Look for the Truth.

.....Wait a minute.....That's three! ::

Okay.....Let's see.....Gangland.....maybe .....Look for the Truth

OK.......Gangland......Love that song! ::

There are many!

Gangland, Total Eclipse, Como Estais Amigos?, No Prayer For The Dying, Fates Warning, The Edge Of Darkness, Judgement Of Heaven..... and the list goes on and on..

Gangland, The Apparation, and Back in the Village. They're both considered the weakest songs on their respective albums, but I think that they are great songs.

Gangland - So what if it's the weakest song on the album? It's not a bad song at all. Maybe it's not the best Maiden song, but I enjoy it every once in a while.

Out of the Silent Planet - Not only is this song underrated, it's also one of my fav Maiden songs ever. I like the lyrics a lot, and it's just so damn catchy. It was stuck in my head like all day yesterday.

Sun and Steel - Not a bad song at all. Not the best Maiden can do, but it's fun. Like Gangland.

Angel and the Gambler - Yeah, that chorus is really annoying sometimes, but the song is still good and I like it.

It must be Gates of Tomorrow. I love the way, that Bruce is singing. The chorus is so great. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /]

No Prayer For The Dying !!!!

(Sun and Steel, Back In..., Judas Be My... etc etc)

[!--quoteo(post=132803:date=Mar 23 2006, 06:27 PM:name=national acrobat)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(national acrobat @ Mar 23 2006, 06:27 PM) [snapback]132803[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
It never says anywhere that you're supposed to explan why, actually.
[/quote]
True, but isn't it nicer if you do?

Methinks "Mother Russia" deserves a lot more recognition than it gets. It's different from all other epic songs, but that does not make it worse- in fact, it's brilliant musically, in my opinion.

[!--quoteo(post=132877:date=Mar 24 2006, 05:41 PM:name=Ascendancy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Mar 24 2006, 05:41 PM) [snapback]132877[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I think that 'Stranger in a Strange Land' is very much ignored by too many people. The solo is excellent and the lyrics are great, so Maiden should still have it in their live set.
[/quote]

I wouldn't really consider that an underrated song, as it was released as a single from SIT. But as for me, I always thought 'The Fallen Angel' was a bit overlooked. Sure, it's just a fast rocker, not as deep or as satisfying as the more epic pieces that BNW has on offer, but I think that the balance between the fast rockers and the epics make BNW one of my top 5 Maiden albums. [img src=\"style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\" style=\"vertical-align:middle\" emoid=\":)\" border=\"0\" alt=\"smile.gif\" /] I love the catchy chorus as well as the great druming in the intro and it has a solo from each of the three guitarists which is pretty blasphemous, considering that none of the other songs on BNW have the trio playing a solo on the same song. Is that over-analysing anything there? ::

I've changed my mind. 'Total Eclipse' is an excellent song which is ignored probably because it comes just before 'Hallowed be thy Name'. I love the line "War babies in the Garden of Eden shall turn our ashes to ice", that just about sums up the state of the world just now. It sound sgreat live on 'Beast Over Hammersmith' from 'The Early Days' DVD.

[!--quoteo(post=134872:date=Apr 14 2006, 09:58 PM:name=Ascendancy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Ascendancy @ Apr 14 2006, 09:58 PM) [snapback]134872[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I've changed my mind. 'Total Eclipse' is an excellent song which is ignored probably because it comes just before 'Hallowed be thy Name'.[/quote]
I've been giving NOTB a bit play of late and I'll agree with you about Total Eclipse. It truly is a great song and never should have been ignored from the original release.

Okay, I've come up with a few more:
Off FotD, 'The Fugitive', 'Judas Be My Guide' and 'Childhood's End' (How did I not add that the first time? I love that song!) are vastly under-rated. The Fugitive opens up with a great, aggressive opening, followed by a ghostly main riff-you can almost sense the mist flowing across the road as the fugitive flees through the countryside. Lyrics tell a great story in a great way, and it has a nice chorus, too. Judas... has one of the best openings on that album, and some great solos to start (particularly, the first one by Dave at 0:16). Childhood's End is just so good-from the drumming to the great melody, and that chorus is so bleak it's painfull. Actually, I'm changing my opinions about both NPftD and FotD-they both have great songs, and I wouldn't say they're any worse than Maiden's other stuff. It's all a matter of taste and individual songs...

[!--quoteo(post=134884:date=Apr 15 2006, 04:58 AM:name=HamburgerBoy)--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(HamburgerBoy @ Apr 15 2006, 04:58 AM) [snapback]134884[/snapback][/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--quotec--]
I can't speak for everyone, but the reason it doesn't get much praise may be because many have never heard it. My version of NOTB isn't the remaster so the only experience I've had with it are one minute samples on IronMaiden.com.
[/quote]
If your long enough in the tooth to remember the original release of RTTH, it was on the B-side. It was still overlooked then - may be becuase of the A-side.

Conor said:
The most underrated song IMO anyway, is Afraid to shoot strangers.
From an underrated album, here is a song that many people skip over, possibly because  of a boring start.  After about 2 minutes, the song really speeds up and has some great melodies.  The solos are also great, combining speed with technique. Really worth another listen, if you are one of those people who just skip over it.

I agree.  I did not think much of it when I first listened to it.  But now the melodic soloing gets me in an emotional high.  It works better for me than FotD.  Of all the songs I really like now, this one took time to grow on me.

Perun said:
Methinks "Mother Russia" deserves a lot more recognition than it gets. It's different from all other epic songs, but that does not make it worse- in fact, it's brilliant musically, in my opinion.

Agreed. From all the nineties-songs I haven't seen live yet, this would be THE one to experience !

Back