Most Underrated Maiden song?

Judas be my Guide (underrated as FUCK)
The Duellists
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Deja Vu
Hooks in You (the harmony, rest of the song is bad)
Public Enema Number One
The Prophecy
For the Greater Good of God
Childhood's End

etc...

How can Somewhere in time be known as a whole? The average fan knows heaven can wait& wasted years but the rest is unknown because Maiden never plays them. There's far more casual Maiden fans than they are die hard fans like us. My cousins love Iron Maiden but the songs they know are Aces high, 2 min, wasted years, fear of the dark, hallowed, run to the hills, trooper, the evil that men do. You know songs that are constantly on the live playlist

True, but I thought we were talking about songs rarely rated by those who know most of Maiden's studio albums well and who regularly discuss and rate songs? If you're talking about the fans who've only heard 10 of the most widely exposed songs then practically all of Maiden's songs are underrated.
Especially The Fugitive. :innocent:

I've always quite liked "Childhoods End" from FOTD and "Como Estais Amigo" from VXI, in fact I would have to say this is probably my favourite song from the "Blaze era"

Oh man there are too many! How about one from each album: Transylvania, Innocent Exile, INVADERS!, To Tame A Land, BACK IN THE VILLAGE!, THE LONLINESS OF THE LONG DISTANCE RUNNER!, ONLY THE GOOD DIE YOUNG!, No Prayer for the Dying, Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Judgement of Heaven, when 2 worlds collide, GHOST OF THE NAVIGATOR, MONTSEGUR, BRIGHTER THAN 1000 SUNS, TALISMAN

Where Eagles Dare, hands down for me. By virtue of the fact that they never play it live.

But they have played it live, there are a lot of songs Maiden have never performed and are, I'd say, better than Where Eagles Dare.

Not connected to the text above, just naming one underrated song: Killers

I didnt say they NEVER played it live, I meant they never play it live (these days). Last time it was in rotation I believe was the Early Days tour....

Respect your opinion re: WED, but its prob in my all time top 5 maiden tunes, and Id pick hearing that over those never played...

As for Killers, major disappointment it wasnt included in the Maiden England tour..

I'm going back in time to a song called "Burning Ambition" (B-side of Running Free) and of course "Cross Eyed Mary" the cover of Jethro Tull's song :) and that's just for starters :) to be honest, I think you will always find those hidden "gems" that were overlooked or just not rated by the band. And of course, its down to personal taste :D

Children of the Damned.
After Hallowed Be Thy Name, this is a real highlight of Number of the Beast, but it seems to get overlooked.

Invasion.
Before there was Invaders, there was Invasion, and it's punk as fuck. This song easily proves Steve Harris a liar when he claims Maiden were never punk. (Paul would disagree too.)

Last edited:
What you have to remember is around that time Punk had exploded in the UK and it was huge with bands cropping up all over the place. (where are they now?) They were approached more than once by record company's to "go punk" and its no wonder why the early songs reflected this. With Paul's shall I say, "punky" vocals probably gave the record companies and talent scouts of the time this impression of the band. I am very interested in the early development of Maiden and I wonder were they would be now, if the band had decided to go down that road. ? :D

Last edited:
I think the album Killers overall is more punk than even their first album. And this was 1981, which is definitely after the punk explosion. Punk had already run its course by 1980. Punk's big years were '76 through '79, particularly in England.

Perhaps the parting with Paul had something to do with Steve seeing the direction music was taking at the time. So I wouldn't necessarily say that early punk elements were forced on Maiden. If anything, they eschewed them (and their punk frontman) in order to keep up with changing times. Steve's denials of ever having been punk only came up after the fact, around '82 and after. As far as I know, Maiden never denied it during the period in question.

As far as where are the punk bands now - that is a bit of an unfair question. You can ask the same of the NWOBHM bands too. Or ANY band that was around more than 30 years ago. Where are Tygers of Pan Tang now?

Many punk bands went on to be pretty huge through out the '80s and '90s - Siouxsie & the Banshees, P.I.L. (Johnny Rotten's post-Pistols outfit), New Order (formerly Joy Division), the Cure, etc. Punk really didn't die, they just learned how to play and it evolved into New Wave and goth.

The idea that punk and NWOBHM were even all that different needs to be examined. If you look at what metal was prior to NWOBHM, it was heavily blues based, from Deep Purple, to Black Sabbath, to Led Zeppelin to Aerosmith. Punk changed all of that, particularly in the UK, and the result was NWOBHM. It even has "New Wave" in the name. British metal shook off the blues and took on a punk-rock ethic. There is probably no metal band that exemplifies that better than Maiden.

Wow! thanks "King or Twilight" that was a great posting and I couldn't have summed it up any better. :)

With the NWOBHM and with bands like Def Leppard, Girlschool, Samson, Praying Mantis, Saxon etc which might or might not have been influenced with what was happening in Britain at the time with the Punk scene, I feel that the US rock scene was a little more developed back then. Lets just take one example because they are tons of great bands in America.
Lets talk about Kiss. The albums "Dressed To Kill", "Destroyer" "Alive II", "Love Gun" & "Dynasty" are considered by many to be the "Golden Age" of Kiss. All of them pre 1980's and the debut album "Kiss" was such a strong album that in my view hasn't dated at all.

And I've listened to it more times than I can remember :) What I am trying to say is how a band such as Kiss who were heavily influenced with The Beatles (well Gene was) and the "Glam Rock" period of the seventies. I find it interesting how Metal & Rock bands developed their own unique styles both here in Britain and America. I would love to hear your views "King of Twilight" because I think this is a very interesting topic on how Maiden and other bands developed on either sides "of the pond"

I kind of gather that you are an American and it would be great if you can shed some light here :)

Last edited:
Bruce's mustache in Samson was most certainly NOT influenced by what was going on in punk! Lol!

I actually don't know too much about American music of the time. I think disco and Linda Ronstadt were all the rage. I know Van Halen and the Ramones, but that's about it. American music has never been my cup of tea. It's not a deliberate choice, just never appealed to me like British music of the '80s.

Oh well :) I enjoy reading your postings "King of Twilight" and I completely agree with you on Bruce's moustache ! :)

Infinite Dreams, So many people i know who like maiden haven't really listened to this track much because they don't like it , Once it kicks in and gets going its brilliant and arguably one of my favorite iron maiden songs.

I also think Blaze's time+Album's with maiden is underated!

Back