Metallica Survivor finished: Final Report

Vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

• Creeping Death

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • One

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
Re: Metallica Survivor, series 4: Black Album round 4 (Aug 24-26)

Quetzalcoatlus said:
This is a great interpretation, I have to admit.
But let me make my position more clear : When Black Album was out, I already had all their previous works
in vinyl and cassette format. (The only other group ever I did such a thing was Maiden)

The interpretation is that of James Hetfield.  I got into Metallica the same way as Maiden, as well, but differently than your experience.  Someone close to me played various Metallica songs and urged me to get into them.  (I'm glad I listened).

Quetzalcoatlus said:
Contrary to a lot of people that time I did *not* purchase that album, in fact I was hating it, mostly because I was feeling
what was to come, also see the 'friendly package' you've mentioned, as well as for Bob Rock in the production

The 'Black Album' was easiest for me to get into especially the radio hits.  Perhaps that's why I have deeper respect for the older songs.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
This was then.
Since 2005, every time I'm listening to Black Album, I'm surprised how its sound remained modern through the years
untouchable by the time. And even if none of its numbers is in my Metallica top5,
yet the entire album is my best Metallica listen -solid, dark and heavy....
And this incredible sound which keeps surprises me a few years now.

Sadly, my strong liking of this album did not last the test of time.  Don't get me wrong.  I don't think it is a bad album, just more on the average side when comparing it to their first four.

Quetzalcoatlus said:
I really like God That Failed, and yes I forgot to metion Wherever, but Sandman? Still I consider it a much overrated song

Somewhere on the board I had a discussion of why I thought 'Enter Sandman' was an overrated song.  We agree on that.  Kirk's solo though, is brilliant to this day.
SinisterMinisterX said:
Go to the top of the page and vote for your LEAST favorite songs!

Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Of Wolf And Man

...and with that last choice, it's now starting to hurt.

Of Wolf And Man is my favourite off the album.
Votes go to:
The Sandman may roam anywhere but here!  Nothing else matters!

Blackened, Sandman, Wolf

--------
Genghis Khan said:
Somewhere on the board I had a discussion of why I thought 'Enter Sandman' was an overrated song.  We agree on that.  Kirk's solo though, is brilliant to this day.

I agree with everything!
And : Kirk's solo is one of Heavy Metal's finest moments!

--------
Strangely enough, I enjoy this survivor better than Maiden Survivor.  :)
But I don't know what will happen when we'll pass to the next step. I don't know much of 1996 -2006 Metallica stuff...

I enjoy the Black Sabbath survivor the most as I find choosing there is most difficult.  This survivor is kind of painful as a few of my favourites have gone.

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 4: Black Album round 5 (Aug 26-28)

Rules are in first post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

"Winners" of round 4.4: Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, Of Wolf And Man
Round 4.5 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. ?
12. ?
13. ?
14 (tie). Enter Sandman
14 (tie). Nothing Else Matters
14 (tie). Of Wolf And Man
17 (tie). Holier Than Thou
17 (tie). Don't Tread On Me
17 (tie). The God That Failed
20 (tie). Through The Never
20 (tie). The Struggle Within
22. My Friend Of Misery

Sanitarium, Blackened, Wherever I May Roam

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 4: Black Album round 5 (Aug 26-28)

What the Khan said. The remaining songs from the Black album are great songs, but the rest are f'in classic.

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 4: Black Album round 6 (Aug 28-30)

Rules are in first post. Please read them if you don't know what's going on here.

This is a tiebreaker round.
Three of these songs must be eliminated. The other two move on to Series 5. You get 2 votes this time.
In the event of a tie, SMX chooses the winners.

Guaranteed passage to the next series:
Ride The Lightning, Fade To Black, Creeping Death, The Call Of Ktulu, Battery, Master Of Puppets, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), One

Blackened, Wherever I May Roam

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 5: Load round 1 (Aug 30 - Sep 1)

"Winners" of the tiebreaker: Blackened, The Unforgiven, Wherever I May Roam
Load has joined the battle; Round 5.1 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. Wherever I May Roam
12 (tie). Blackened
12 (tie). The Unforgiven
14 (tie). Enter Sandman
14 (tie). Nothing Else Matters
14 (tie). Of Wolf And Man
17 (tie). Holier Than Thou
17 (tie). Don't Tread On Me
17 (tie). The God That Failed
20 (tie). Through The Never
20 (tie). The Struggle Within
22. My Friend Of Misery

Poor Twisted Me, Mama Said, Ronnie

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 5: Load round 1 (Aug 30 - Sep 1)

Until it Sleeps, Ronnie, Mama Said

It does not really matter which songs are eliminated in which order for the next long while.  The first one I mentioned deserves a special mention because it was the first single of what was to become a long dry spell for Metallica.
The only song that may compete (for me) with 'Sad But True' is 'King Nothing', but the former is a better written song despite the fact the latter is entertaining.

Re: Metallica Survivor, series 5: Load round 2 (Sep 1-3)

"Winners" of round 5.1: Mama Said, Ronnie
Round 5.2 has now begun.

Eliminated:
11. ?
12. ?
13. ?
14. ?
15. ?
16. ?
17. ?
18. ?
19. ?
20. ?
21. ?
22. ?
23 (tie). Mama Said
23 (tie). Ronnie

Poor Twisted Me, Cure, Bleeding Me

Trying tactics that will hopefully eliminate as many Load songs as possible...

Until It Sleeps
The Outlaw Torn
Thorn Within
:uhm: Damn, I just realized the instrumentals were picked.  I figured it was just SMX and I for this round.  Where is facepalm smiley?

Genghis Khan said:
Trying tactics that will hopefully eliminate as many Load songs as possible...

Until It Sleeps
The Outlaw Torn
Thorn Within
:uhm: Damn, I just realized the instrumentals were picked.  I figured it was just SMX and I for this round.  Where is facepalm smiley?

Those tactics only work because we're on the "old" rules in this Survivor. I don't like seeing all those songs die at once, but I'll stick by the old rules because I don't like mid-game changes.

And "The Outlaw Torn" deserves to survive for a bit longer. That's one of the best on Load.

At the risk of getting repetitive....

Ktulu, Orion, Outlaw Torn

SinisterMinisterX said:
Those tactics only work because we're on the "old" rules in this Survivor. I don't like seeing all those songs die at once, but I'll stick by the old rules because I don't like mid-game changes.

And "The Outlaw Torn" deserves to survive for a bit longer. That's one of the best on Load.

And it is going to backfire for me unless someone else votes.  But I think most people are not voting in this survivor because they don't know or care for their post-Black album stuff.

Genghis Khan said:
And it is going to backfire for me unless someone else votes.  But I think most people are not voting in this survivor because they don't know or care for their post-Black album stuff.

That's a shame. Load is actually pretty good. Granted, ReLoad is mostly filler and St. Anger is crap - but Death Magnetic, when we get there, is a GREAT fucking album.

SinisterMinisterX said:
That's a shame. Load is actually pretty good. Granted, ReLoad is mostly filler and St. Anger is crap - but Death Magnetic, when we get there, is a GREAT fucking album.

I love DM.  I listened to it today from and to work.  The only song from St. Anger that could compete for me is 'Some Kind of Monster'.  I also like much of the covers they've done on Garage Inc. both re-issues and new ones.

Back