METALLICA ALBUM RANKING GAME: #7 REVEALED

drop one song and make it a single disc and there's yet another situation where people potentially have a way different impression of the album
You don’t even have to drop any songs to make it a single disc. Hell, the album is even shorter than Load!

Although granted including a naff Lemmy tribute that goes nowhere definitely does hurt.

Reactions: Jer
You don’t even have to drop any songs to make it a single disc. Hell, the album is even shorter than Load!

Although granted including a naff Lemmy tribute that goes nowhere definitely does hurt.
Oh sure, I'm just saying twelve songs on a single disc still feels like a lot (see Fear of the Dark). At 11 songs (including one very short opener) we're closer to Death Magnetic territory.

Also, I know this album has a Lemmy tribute on it but I couldn't tell you which song it is.

For me, Hardwired felt like an honest representation of the kind of music Metallica wanted to play at that point in time — something with one foot in their black album phase and the other in their classic period. Hetfield really seems to like playing these simpler grooves, but with some more complicated detours thrown in, and Hardwired stuck the landing more honestly than Death Magnetic did, IMO.

That said, I probably still prefer Death Magnetic by a hair over Hardwired due to overall song quality, even though it feels a bit more forced.

Hardwired is an exceptional album (if you eliminate half of the songs).

Minus the idiotic, childish lyrics in the self-titled song, the first half is pretty perfect. Not every song is a 10/10, but the ones that are (Atlas, Moth) are stellar. If you take the first "disc" + Spit Out The Bone (the third 10/10 on the album), you've got a killer short record.

It's the aforementioned title track and the entirety of "disc" two that drag it way, way down. But overall, the songwriting on the first half (plus Spit) is superior to anything they've done since ReLoad.

Back