Metal TV

A

Anonymous

Is it just me or is there no metal or anything on tv now. Maybe a 1hour program on vh1 or something but nothing the recongizes good metal music-classic to present-coverage all around the world-updates-music videos. Why not? "There are shows and music videos on tv." That is true but nothing to show old bands from the 70s to the early 90s. I need my supply of metal!!!! I want to hear other views on it. Up the Irons

There are no more music videos on tv anymore period. I had this talk with a friend last night. MTV is no longer MUSIC television, it only airs crappy reality shows and MAYBE TRL which is aimed at teeny-boppoer girls and they don't even play the whole video anyway. MTV 2 started as only videos but now it resembles MTV of five years ago of a few videos here and there and again reality show crap... NOTHING to do with music. VH1 is kinda ok. I like to call it MTV 3 since it is owned by MTV or same people that own both. Anywho, vh1 no longer plays as many videos as it used to, yet most of its programing is still music related, i say most because they are also falling into the reality tv gimmick. So not only is Metal not getting any tv time but MUSIC is no longer on tv (unless you have a satellite with 300 channels 100 of which are music channels of all genres). Yet when they do play metal or metal related material is all about poison, motley crue, Ratt, Quiet Riot and all the other glam metal bands that milked the metal craze for all that it was worth but really sucked. And this is the end of my rant.

What about that one awful show? Ya know, "Slave to the Metal"? The one where they actually had KoRn appear?

Our digital cable provides all of those music channels Onhell talked about, but the metal channel only plays frickin' metalcore or frickin' Nu-metal. However the "arena rock" channel has played Dio, Ozzy, and some other decent stuff.

So you're right, there's no real metal TV. [img src=\'http://www.metal-rules.com/bb/images/smiles/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

I've seen Wildest Dreams, Rainmaker, Hammerfall and other metal videos on MTV nordic during day hours, but they rarely get more than 2 or 3 spins before disappearing

I have seen Maiden's Wildest Dreams video on MTV2!

guys don't stick in mtv there is a many channels in the satelite tv
where i have see a lot of metal band's: nighitwish,maiden,immortal,
black sabbath...
and many other.

I know that the Swedish (or is it Norwegian?) ZTV channel has several hours a week where they play metal videos. Oh god how I miss the days when we had Danish ZTV as well [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Ok maybe there is metal on tv stations in Europe but not in the USA.

[!--QuoteBegin-slaughterwithiron+Jun 7 2005, 03:32 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(slaughterwithiron @ Jun 7 2005, 03:32 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Ok maybe there is metal on tv stations in Europe but not in the USA.
[snapback]107753[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I've never seen a metal video on TV here.

I agree, Europe's and Mexico's (latin america in general) Mtv is WAY better than the USA's, there is way more variety, and the other mtv-like channels show everything, from metal (I've seen apocalyptica hehe) to techno.

[!--QuoteBegin-$yk0_H+Jun 7 2005, 06:52 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE($yk0_H @ Jun 7 2005, 06:52 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I know that the Swedish (or is it Norwegian?) ZTV channel has several hours a week where they play metal videos. Oh god how I miss the days when we had Danish ZTV as well [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]107741[/snapback]​
[/quote]

It's true that they play some metal ideos sometimes, but it's mostly Linkin park and shit like that... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

My friend in NZ tells me they have a metal show that lasts an hour every week with a load of power metal on, too bad we dont get that over here.

[!--QuoteBegin-Scream for me Stockholm+Jun 7 2005, 09:50 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Scream for me Stockholm @ Jun 7 2005, 09:50 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]It's true that they play some metal ideos sometimes, but it's mostly Linkin park and shit like that... [!--emo&:(--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sad.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sad.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]107772[/snapback]​
[/quote]
hmm, I had the channel like 1½ year ago, and I'm sure I saw stuff like Masterplan and such on there. Sure there aren't any shows after midnight that play metal?

I occasionally see Maiden on Much Loud. Aside from that...let's see if I can find an old post of mine.

Nope. I can't.

Here's the basic. Metal is not on TV because it is unpackagable. MTV and other stations make their money from advertisements. Consider the amount of skill it takes to run a successful metal band. Consider the amount of talent it takes to even get close. Look at it this way.

Let's say 100 people watch Iron Maiden on MetalNet, our fictional metal network. Of those 100 people, 75 like Maiden. 50 are interested in playing music like Maiden. However, only 20 have the necessary talent. Now, let's assume that their talents are divided like so: 4 drummers, 4 singers, 4 bassists, and 8 guitarists. What is the likelyhood that these people will meet and form a band? Not very. Now, what's the likelyhood that these people, if they do meet and form a band, will actually cooperate long enough, practise hard enough, and work hard enough to become famous? Nil. So, let's give them the benefit of the doubt, and say that one band forms from these 100 fans.

Consider grunge. Using the same base 100, in which 75 like the music and 50 want to play, the talent requirement is lowered. Let's say 30 people. Now, you need less people to form a grunge band, and you need less ability to play. This transcends into less practising. So, you get three or four bands with this formula.

Consider pop. With the same formula, the talent requirement is lowered. Now, all you need is decent good looks. So, basically any combination of 3-5 people could form a pop band. Stunning looking people can go it alone, because the voices are digitally altered, and the songs are written for them.

Rap has the same formula.

Now, look at it from an MTV exec's point of view.

Metal: 1 new band looking for advertisment space. Kinda blah.
Grunge: 3-4 new bands looking for advertisement. Getting better.
Pop & Rap: Wow, something like 20. Hot! We've just hit the gold mine.

Well, since most people are sheep, and do what they're told by TV, if we shove pop and rap under their nose, we'll get a huge upstart of people wanting to be pop stars. And since the record companies think the same way we do, they know that we'll sell them tons of records.

HOLY SHIT! Let's make TV shows based on becoming a pop star! Instant advertising that people want to see! FREE advertising for the record companies, and AWESOME payouts from commercials! Holy shit! We're gonna be fucking rich!

That is why metal is not on TV.

[!--emo&:lol:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/lol[1].gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'lol[1].gif\' /][!--endemo--]

There's plenty of reasons metal isn't played much on TV and radio.

A very simple one is that many metal songs are long, complex creations, as opposed to most popular music where it's rare to find songs longer than four minutes, giving that radio stations/music channels prefer to play a three minute pop song instead leaving lots of time for commercials and maybe even another song.

Metal as a genre also tends to go towards the extreme. It has a number of characteristics that don't appeal to most people; it's loud, aggresive and often complex, making it hard to dance to and simultaneously keeps it out of clubs and the audience those offer. And as radio and TV simply reflect the popular taste, there's just not enough people listening to metal.

Of course those are just two out of many reasons.

I remember coming home from a gig and watching the last bit of headbanger's ball.. Ahh, good times... Now metal seems to be gone... Morphed.. Morphed with Rap and techno.. Which is cool... But not the same.. But shit changes... Some bands stuck their ground and others changed like the wind to comply in an attempt to gain new fans.... Without naming any names [Metallica], of course..

OOPS!! I named a name... Sorry.. lars turned out to be the biggest poser of all time..

HAHA!

[!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--QuoteBegin-Angus+Jun 22 2005, 09:07 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Angus @ Jun 22 2005, 09:07 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I remember coming home from a gig and watching the last bit of headbanger's ball.. Ahh, good times... Now metal seems to be gone... Morphed.. Morphed with Rap and techno.. Which is cool... But not the same.. But shit changes... Some bands stuck their ground and others changed like the wind to comply in an attempt to gain new fans.... Without naming any names [Metallica], of course..

OOPS!! I named a name...  Sorry.. lars turned out to be the biggest poser of all time..

HAHA!
[snapback]109475[/snapback]​
[/quote]

Metallica changed!?! No way...

Lars the greediest @$$hole of metal music!?! No...

St. Anger the biggest let down (for me at least) in metal history? Naw...

Bands like sticking to their grounds like Maiden? Never! They are the biggest letdown ever! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back