Metal Gear Solid

I'm never used to be a very big gamer.  I never bought the original Playstation when it came out (I was happy with my Super Nintendo. Super Mario World? Yes please!) so I missed out on alot of good games.  Ever since I bought the PS2 a few years ago, Metal Gear Solid was pretty old and I never got a chance to play it.  So a couple weeks ago one of my friends found a bunch of older Playstation games and asked me if I wanted them.  I said sure, but I didn't relize I was recieving one of the best games of all time.
    Metal Gear Solid is the most amazing game I've played in a long time.  It is not just a run-n-gun game a thought it was.  The plot is awsome.  The diolouge is great.  The philosiphical themes in the game make it a very deep experience. :ok:
    From what I'm told, there are 2 sequels to this game and I am looking for them now.  Have any of you guys played this game?  What are your thoughts on it?

I am a huge fan of MGS games. I was introduced to MGS series somehow late, in 2001. the first game I played is MGS - Shadow Moses Incident, I think this is the one you played. I don't want to extinguish your appetite, but in my opinon, even though it the poorest graphically, it's the best content-wise. The dialogues, camera angles... Every fox-hound member has its own story and motive, and this makes their character deeper. Video gaming at its perfection!

series went on with MGS2: Sons Of Liberty, which is far superior than MGS1 in gameplay and graphics. It is a good game, yet it becomes somewhat annoying(ly) complex towards the end. Enemy characters aren't so well designed... I don't know, I have mixed feelings toward that game.

finally, there was MGS3: Snake Eater, although launched 3-4 year later, graphics and gameplay aren't that MUCH improved as one might expect, comparig to MGS2. story is good, gameplay is the same but more detailed and enjoyable. but this time, the story has nearly no philosophical dimension. comparing it to MGS1,would be like comparing Matrix Revolutions to Matrix 1.

anyway, to play the whole trilogy is a must, to anyone!

as for bonus, there's a Metal Gear Acid series for PlayStation Portable. gameplay is so much different. it's turnbased. To me, even though it was radically different, MGA1 gave me the closest experience to MGS1. it's different lots of people hated it, but I highly recommend it.

if you liked MGS series, and have a PC, you should buy following games, they're old, thus cheap and graphicaly poorer. but they will beat any present day game in depth and gameplay. You can finish all of them without killing anyone, with your wits, your words and your sneaking abilities. None of them will disappoint you if you loved Metal Gear Solid 1. (and even surpass MGS)

Thief 1: The Dark Project  http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thiefthedarkproject/index.html?q=thief
(Awesome game, you're a thief in a fantastic setting, and you become a part of an exciting story, unknowingly)

Thief 2: The Metal Age   http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/thief2themetalage/index.html
(sequel)

Deus Ex http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/deusex/index.html
(Near future doesn't look good... diseases, controlling governments, technology serves war, disputes and riots everywhere... in the midst of all, you're a huge project: A cybernetically enhanced human being. and will have an impact on the world)

Arx Fatalis http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/arxfatalis/index.html?q=arx%20fatalis
(again a fantastic RPG game, but the setting is superb. Sun dies, and whole humanity start to live underground in cities together with other races... It has an awesome setting, awesome gameplay and awesome story)

System Shock 2 http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/systemshock2/index.html
(Humanity makes its biggest exploration in space: Towards other planets. But (as usual) the great exploration spaceship suffers strange happenings. An inspirng story with many philosophical messages, extraordinarily good)

well, that's all that comes to my mind right now :)

computer game is the new media, is the art!

Deus Ex is my all time favourite game. System Shock is also awesome, and I've heard that Thief is also great (never played it though) I played a demo of MGS, quite enjoyed it, but never really looked for the full game...

When I was about 5-6 years younger, my alltime favourite game was MGS. I don't know how many times I have times I have comleted the game. I don't remember the name of which MGS it is . Although, the badguys were...Liquid Snake, Revolver Ocelot, Blood Raven and Sniper Wolf. That'll help you understand which MGS I'm talking about.

Though the graphics are quite poor the present days, it's still brilliant thanks to the plot and the well thought out characters...The game has everything except good controls and grafics are the only things missing (for the PC-version). And then I bought the game for game-boy. Not at all near the PC game. Sure the graphics are very bad, but that's what expected. No, I'm talking about the feeling that's not there. The same goes for MGS2. Or perhaps I don't like it becouse it's different from the previous...?

gameboy is a totally different platform, I don't expect GB games to be as rich as PS2 or PC games. even PSP games are more complex and rich. That's why I can't even imagine a MGS game in GB.

as fot MGS2, I think it is a question of plot. I don't want to spoil for those who didn't play it yet, but Mgs2 scenario  takes more to get into, and wasn't as original as MGS1 scenario was. Neverthelss, it was good. far better than mmost of the games. even films.

I don't like the Metal Gear Solid series of games.  I find they're pretty blah in the story department, and they're not nearly long enough.  The action isn't that great either.

To be fair, I am a Final Fantasy man...

UGH, that says it all, lol. I hate Final Fantasy with a passion and any game like it. To be fair I haven't owned a console past the Sega Genesis and my PC gaming days are long gone. the little gaming I do is on my "borrowed" emulators and Roms and frankly that is not very often. But since I will play I won't say gaming is a complete waste of time, however I have found better things to do with my free time.

LooseCannon said:
I don't like the Metal Gear Solid series of games.  I find they're pretty blah in the story department, and they're not nearly long enough.  The action isn't that great either.

I have never played it, and feel ashamed for it  :-[
which one would you advise to begin the series?

which of the mgs games did you play?

FFVI is the best.  (FFIII in North America).  It's probably the prime point to begin.  You can get it on SNES or as a re-release on PSX.

One of the reasons I like Metal Gear Solid is because I felt the story was really gripping.  I liked the story alot and didn't ever feel bored.  I felt like I doing things in the game for a reason (minus a couple parts).  I felt that that the connection from myself and the game was very strong.  Every couple minutes, you could contact the people on your radio, and they would mention or help you with somthing that was going on at that time.

I would like to point out a couple negative parts of the game.  I think the thing that pissed me off the most was when you have to walk around to change the tempature of the key towards the end.  Although a crucial plot twist was developed during your boring runs back and forth, the key part seemed to break up the pace of the story.  Another thing is that figuring out some of the bosses weaknesses (for me) was kind of tedious.  When I fighting the robot ninga thing I got so annoyed with him, I unequipped my weapon and started punching the bastar*.  Even though that is what I was supposed to do, it still was annoying (clever or not).  The VR training things also made me want to punch a kitten.

LooseCannon said:

I find it strange you say this because Final Fantasy isn't considered "manly" to most people! :biggrin:

One of the good things about metal gear solid is that, it takes its players seriously. Many dialogues and radio transmissions are indirect and sometimes direct messages to the player itself, not to Solid Snake. An exemple would be The Master's advices. All the things he says (like sleeping well, using your mind instead, calming down, go out and take some fresh air...) are all messages transmitted to YOU, not to solid Snake.

And Finally, the great dialogue between Liquid Snake and Solid Snake right before they start fighting hand to hand, has again, messages to player. Liquid Snake, accuses Solid Snake to have an instinct to kill, murder mercilessly while he had other choices, and he is a puppet to his masters, going on with the mission even though he's betrayed. This IS the player he's talking to actually. This is US.

(In MGS) do you have to kill everyone? No. you can sneak past them ALL (yes it's possible, except for the bosses). but do you do that, at least in the first play? Noone I talked did so. Afterall, you could even not play this game, go out and play football, or read, paint, sail... anything. Yet we choose to kill, as an amusement. It's instinctual... or has it become instinctual? If you're still in need of playing games, why not LArry 7 (one of the best games ever), why not SimCity, why not Civilisation, but this game, or these games in which you endlessly kill? We are numbed to kill. We don't feel the disturbance. Would you rape in a computer game? You'll feel wrong, and the anger right? But there's no problem in finishing someone else's life, even though metaphorically.

There's a mission in games we must do, and usually have one way to do so. Is it really important you play Doom3, or Quake4, or Duke Nukem... yea, some are graphically worse than the others, some are less real. that makes the difference. do we really care what are we killing for? just get the gun and shoot. Just like politicians wants us to do.

And this notion of "mission". We are made to believe that there are ulterior things we must commit ourselves, and even contradict ourselves to accomplish them. Patriotism is clearly one, and this concept will be developped further in MGS sequels.  But there are also some personal motives which damages us and those who are close to us, like greed, ambition... I'm sure we all know some people who neglect their families because of their jobs, try to make their children happy not by passing time with them but buying things... and what's all these for? for a career, for money... the ulterior motive for which we become something other than ourselves, something selfish, devoid of empathy, something monstrous and even something evil.

There are some trailers going round for MGS4, and the offical E3 trailer should be released tonight.

I gotta say, it looks truly amazing. Snake looks totally badass, despite being old and sporting a 'tasche. Even Raiden looks pretty cool.

Oh no, not Raiden again....I figured he'd be in the new one.  Is it just me or did it just really piss anyone else off when you had to play as Raiden in MGS2?  I remember when you very first got to play as him you couldn't walk anywhere without him slipping up on bird shit.  Oh well.  Anyways the Metal Gear series are great, definantly my favorite games of all time.  Very much looking forward to the new one.

I bought the directors cut of Metal Gear Solid 2 a week ago and I'm about 10 hours into the story.  I not really liking it as much as Metal Gear Solid, though.  It is definently more action heavy.  I'm not sure if I really like that.  The cut scences somtimes drag on a bit, and get a little boring.  I understand that with it being on PS2 means that the developers had more power to work with.  But some of the cut scenes seem consintrated on flashy action, and that just doesn't hold my intrest.  Don't get me wrong, though.  I love me some gun fights and explosions, but not at an excess amount.
    I feel really indifferent about Raiden (i think that's how it's spelled) most of the time.  Sure, he has his moments that make me laugh and (a couple) make me think, Whoa, that's pretty bad@$$.  But his character is kinda boring.  And is dumb girlfriend... oh, don't get me started.  At first, I kind of liked their sentimental conversations.  It was different.  But I've definently grown tired of it. Do you love me?  Am I just a possesion?  Do you remember the first time we met?  Please.  He already has enough problems on his hands (not to mention contantly at risk of dying).  Sometimes I wish Raiden would tell her to shut the hell up and save the game.
    All these negative comments and no good ones.  Hmm.  I really enjoyed the beginning of the game on the ship.  Also, the battle with the plane was awsome.

2 words : Smash bros
ssbb2qg.gif

DAMN, I'm pretty scared, I saw the trailers for MGS4, and it looks like Snake is going to die!!!, they always do that, they always kill my heroes...

Ah, Metal Gear and Smash Bros, two of my favorite franchises come together at last.

I've been playing MGS games since the first one, and while there are a few storyline issues with MGS2, I think all of them have phenomenal gameplay, characters and voicework (not THAT important, but it helps!).

Personally, I think MGS3 was the best game that came out in 2004 and one of the best PS2 games out there. I got totally caught up in the game and it reminded me why I loved MGS in the first place, and the ending got me a little choked up too, which doesn't happen very often in video games. I say if you played the first one and didn't like it, hey, nothing's gonna change with 2 or 3, but if you're one of the many who loved MGS and hated MGS2, I say at least give 3 a try, I'm glad I did.

Back