Metal Essentials II: Leather and Bell Bottoms (1976 - 1979) - Highway to Hell vs Strangers in the Night

vote for your FAVORITE songs

• ----------------------------------------------------------

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Shot Down in Flames

• Love Hungry Man

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfair match up, UFO's hits versus Priest deep cuts
UFO may have had an individual song advantage, but so far it seems that when just pitting the albums against each other it is not even close. IMO hits or deep cuts shouldn't matter, I personally think Priest's deep cuts are just as good (and in this particular case better) than UFO's hits.

Strangers In the Night beats Sin After Sin insuring that Judas Priest will not be in the final four of a Metal championship.

The next round puts Rising against Van Halen. This will be an interesting one. Two guitar greats but the rest of Rainbow is a level above the rest of Van Halen (specially Dio vs Roth). Van Halen has more “hits,” but Rising has more of a cult status among metal fans. So far the more “mainstream” picks are winning these rounds. Will Rainbow buck the trend?

All Rising songs included, worst performing Van Halen songs are cut.

Easy choices there, except maybe Tarot Woman v Running with the Devil

Tarot Woman
Eruption/You Really Got Me
Aint Talkin bout Love
I'm the One
Stargazer
A Light in the Black

UFO may have had an individual song advantage, but so far it seems that when just pitting the albums against each other it is not even close. IMO hits or deep cuts shouldn't matter, I personally think Priest's deep cuts are just as good (and in this particular case better) than UFO's hits.

Didn't mean that as a criticism more as an observation, also feeling sorry for Priest as Sin after Sin is a great album but Strangers is one of the all time great live albums.

Although overrated Van Halen are in terms of what they have actually achieved, it is a tie for me, given how essential their first album is. (same as @srfc )

Last edited:
Tarot Woman
Eruption/You Really Got Me
Starstruck
I'm the One
Stargazer
Little Dreamer

It's a tie for me, never really cared too much about A Light in the Black. Weakest song on the album imo

Rising wins by one point, it was close but the matches that Rainbow won were mostly decisive.

Our next round is Queen vs Rush. Two non-Metal bands that spent a lot of time not just in the orbit of Metal, but prog rock as well. Both bands went into the 80s with a much more commercial sound. With News Of the World, Queen is more than halfway there. But with A Farewell to Kings and Hemispheres, Rush are in peak prog. The albums for both respective bands do contain some classic rock radio staples though.

All songs represented.

This one is a total thrashing from me. Queen only wins two rounds. Fight From The Inside wins by default against the forgettable Madrigal. Spread Your Wings is also up against a fairly weak song, but it is also probably my favorite from the Queen album. The opening match was tough, but you can't beat the concise grandeur of A Farewell To Kings' title track.

[9] A Farewell To Kings V We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions [9]
[9] Xanadu V Sheer Heart Attack [8]
[9] Closer To The Heart V All Dead, All Dead [7]
[8.5] Cinderella Man V Spread Your Wings [10]
[7.5] Madrigal V Fight From The Inside [7]
[8.5] Cygnus X-1 Book I: The Voyage V Get Down Make Love [8.5]
[9.5] Cygnus X-1 Book II: Hemispheres V Sleeping On The Side Walk [8]
[8.5] Circumstances V Who Needs You [7]
[8] The Trees V Its Late [8.5]
[8] La Villa Strantiato V My Melancholy Blues [7.5]

6-2-2 For Rush, I will try to relisten to the two tied match ups at some point but have a lot of other stuff to listen to currently...​

Too late to vote. Seems fairly just, except .. The Trees beating It's Late is utter madness. I guess we have a lot of Ayn Rand fans here?

We've reached our final four! Highway to Hell vs Strangers in the Night.

I voted for

Highway to Hell
Love to Love
Out In the Street
Touch Too Much
Mother Mary
Doctor Doctor
If You Want Blood (You Got It)
Rock Bottom
Night Prowler

Only difficult one ( actually it wasn't diffcult but I like the track that lost*) was Dr Dr v Shot Down in Flames

*EDIT: I like all the tracks on both albums to be fair.

Last edited:
Highway To Hell
Love To Love
Out In The Streets
Touch Too Much
Mother Mary
Doctor Doctor
If You Want Blood
Rock Bottom
Too Hot To Handle

6-3 for UFO

Status